One item for the birds

I will follow in your footsteps! I had no idea they were throwing away the hard earned cash I send them. God bless!
Hope you find a worthwhile conservation organization…others have pointed out that DU indirectly does a lot for pheasants…WPA’s are great pheasant habitat. Not sure exactly what DU does and where, but there are new acres owned by DU in at least one of the states I hunt that are considered WIA and we’ve had good hunting on these acres. Guess is DU acquired the land, and it’s part of a rehab project that they turn around and sell to SD or FWS and it gets put into public land, GMA, WPA, etc. Then DU takes the $ and does it again. I think they’re trying to focus on the prairie pothole region. Great for pheasants! Good winter cover…👍

I guess I am the only one who sees PF signs all the time. Hunted multiple areas of 3 states this fall and found PF signs in every area. Maybe they are good, maybe not, and probably they could do better, but it is only $35 and than my one lonely name can be added to the list that they produce for the politicians. Not much for my part, but probably better than nothing.

I guess I am the only one who sees PF signs all the time. Hunted multiple areas of 3 states this fall and found PF signs in every area. Maybe they are good, maybe not, and probably they could do better, but it is only $35 and than my one lonely name can be added to the list that they produce for the politicians. Not much for my part, but probably better than nothing.
I see some signs, for sure…hey, it’s $35…a coffee from Starbucks is $3 no-tip…a case of mediocre beer is $30 with tax…Plus, you get a knife, a duffel bag, whatever…let’s get real! Do what makes you happy…I like doing something for the wildlife…I did read a few weeks ago what a bounty all the gun/ammo sales have been for wildlife, I think a modest % of the tax goes to Pittman-Robertson or something like that…👍👍👍👍

Now even if A5 served himself up a softball because he knew the backstory and group involved, that doesn't change the fact of what happened.
Well put, Bob. The whole thing. And that's exactly what happened. I pitched MYSELF a softball. No collusion with others whatsoever. It just mystifies me when people are all-in so deeply, either for or against somebody/something, that they're practically blind to the possibility that it might not all be blue sky & rainbows.

Well put, Bob. The whole thing. And that's exactly what happened. I pitched MYSELF a softball. No collusion with others whatsoever. It just mystifies me when people are all-in so deeply, either for or against somebody/something, that they're practically blind to the possibility that it might not all be blue sky & rainbows.
When there’s people involved, there’s problems…nope, not all blue sky and rainbows. 🌈☀️

Don't get me wrong I still donate and I'm guilty about having expectations too high. I'd like to be using the wipers to get roosters off the windshield they're so thick. Now I know that'll never happen but I'm kind of a natural skeptic and want to make sure money's used the best it can be that benefits the birds and habitat not to have better scotch at a banquet. I'll keep throwing money and lead down range at this deal as long as I can it'd just be a little heavier check if I felt better about it.

Also well put A5. I learned the hard way years ago while dealing with customers, that reading text is a lot different than talking to someone. You can't see facial jesters, tone of voice, or if you're smiling. So just an off the cuff comment can be taken as an absolute insult. So, an open discussion quickly turns into online fisticuffs! It would be more fun if everyone would lighten up a little. That said I kind of like it when somebody gets poked with a stick!

If I lived in or around decent hunting I’d get involved in a chapter…I’m in Duluth. It would be cool to be directly involved in a project if that’s possible, I assume it is. I help a farmer in SD with his operation…he’s been putting more land in CRP, and he helps an old farmer with some CRP programs that target small chunks of marginal farm ground…that guy owns over 10k acres, but those small sloughs, etc that are in CRP are terrific for the wildlife, the landowner, and the hunters. I run a decent # of guys through the “farmhouse” (we pay a decent amount to stay there, which includes land access)…evidently what we do, plus what the other hunters he has generate, is meaningful enough for my farmer buddy to make this a side biz for him…his properties produce and hold good #’s of birds. One way to help the habitat…yes, pay to hunt. Without demand, supply is limited…Econ 101. But again, whatever works…doing something is better than nothing. Even identifying the owner of WIA land…send a card thanking them…or knock on their door with some modest gift of appreciation. Wish I was out there now! 50’s again out there several days this week…☀️

Do you feel the habit stamp has helped habitat from what you can see? I hadn't hunted SD prior so can't gauge if those dollars have showed in the field?

Do you feel the habit stamp has helped habitat from what you can see? I hadn't hunted SD prior so can't gauge if those dollars have showed in the field?
From what I see, no. It has perhaps opened up some more land in CREP, but I feel like it will do more to pay for public access on private land than enhancing habitat on existing public properties. And I also am guessing that dock and road updates will consume a fair amount of the dollars. As of yet, SD doesn't have anything listed for what the Habitat Stamp has done, at least that I can find.

I believe gf&p did a press release last year about where money was spent. I will see if I can locate it. I know they listed one property and that expenditure was 300.00 yes three hundred.

A problem with the state and finances is money allocated to say public hunting sometimes gets reallocated to campgrounds because new money, the conservation stamp funds , can now be used to do what the previously allocated funds were for.

I believe gf&p did a press release last year about where money was spent. I will see if I can locate it. I know they listed one property and that expenditure was 300.00 yes three hundred.

A problem with the state and finances is money allocated to say public hunting sometimes gets reallocated to campgrounds because new money, the conservation stamp funds , can now be used to do what the previously allocated funds were for.
Search s.dak.habitat stamp and a link will come up showing where money was spent.
Boat ramps for waterfowl access and hiking trails are to me questionable expenditures.

It's only been enacted less than 2 years. I've only had to buy 1 of them because in 2020 I'd purchased my license prior to its enactment. So I feel like it's probably too soon to have noticed much impact. This would be especially true for pheasant hunters, since this past season was so extraordinary in terms of LACK of habitat due to the drought & things associated with it. But here's a video the GF&P made.

I've been on a PF banquet committee quite awhile. I also belong to DU. Pick one or a couple of conservation organizations. Send them some money.

IMHO the biggest impact on bird numbers, at least in Iowa where I'm from, is what the farm bill does with CRP or any other similar programs.

The way to influence the farm bill is through lobbying Congress in DC. You need a lobbyist for that, which costs money and you need numbers of members behind that lobbyist to represent votes. No one in Congress cares about pheasants unless it somehow impacts who votes for them or gives them money.

PF hires lobbyists in DC to try and get Congress to see CRP or whatever program is out there in a light favorable to upland game. The more members there in PF are the more potential votes are at risk for the legislator. PF is going up against Farm Bureau, fertilizer companies, implement manufactures to try and influence what the farm bill eventually looks like . Big Ag has more money. It's a tough battle and it's not free.

Corn prices where they' re at is the pheasants worst enemy, at least in Iowa.

I'm all for what any one or any group can do to help provide more habitat.

I've been on a PF banquet committee quite awhile. I also belong to DU. Pick one or a couple of conservation organizations. Send them some money.

IMHO the biggest impact on bird numbers, at least in Iowa where I'm from, is what the farm bill does with CRP or any other similar programs.

The way to influence the farm bill is through lobbying Congress in DC. You need a lobbyist for that, which costs money and you need numbers of members behind that lobbyist to represent votes. No one in Congress cares about pheasants unless it somehow impacts who votes for them or gives them money.

PF hires lobbyists in DC to try and get Congress to see CRP or whatever program is out there in a light favorable to upland game. The more members there in PF are the more potential votes are at risk for the legislator. PF is going up against Farm Bureau, fertilizer companies, implement manufactures to try and influence what the farm bill eventually looks like . Big Ag has more money. It's a tough battle and it's not free.

Corn prices where they' re at is the pheasants worst enemy, at least in Iowa.

I'm all for what any one or any group can do to help provide more habitat.
Having more insight/involvement than most do you ever hear talks of any farmer outreach campaigns? Explaining to them the benefits of land husbandry and simple things like leaving those waterways and edges alone as they're worth far more to them as a huntable asset than a few poor quality hay bales? Maybe reminding them of nrcs and usda programs for that underproducing ground? Maybe re-teaching the new-day farmer about being stewards again? Big Ag has brainwashed them and might be time we start getting some different information in front of them.

I suspect FSA/NRCS does a fair amount of this, but having it reinforced by hunters would/does help. Having family members that hunt has a strong correlation to these practices actually occurring! Grandkids are major motivation for grandpa!!!! 🤩

I suspect FSA/NRCS does a fair amount of this, but having it reinforced by hunters would/does help. Having family members that hunt has a strong correlation to these practices actually occurring! Grandkids are major motivation for grandpa!!!! 🤩
I can't speak for SD but as a landowner in KS I don't get any information from NRCS/USDA unless I seek it out from them.

Search s.dak.habitat stamp and a link will come up showing where money was spent.
Boat ramps for waterfowl access and hiking trails are to me questionable expenditures.

I'm going to reach out to talk to the local SDGFP on the Long Lake boat ramp project. That is a lot of money, way more than has been done elsewhere. And I'm not sure whose doing the work. If its on the up and up, okay, but I think that everyone's concern, especially in a fairly corrupt state like SD, is that the spending won't have the oversight that it should.

Last edited:
Back