Older dog care

BusterB

I have a 8 year old Vizsla that is starting to slow down. This is my first dog that I have had. He will go out and hunt hard for a couple of hours and then starts to stiffen up and I can tell it is a strain for him to hunt. For those with much more expierence than me, when do you deceide to put your dog up for retirement? How do you know when the dog will suffer to much to hunt him?

I have found that if I leave him back at the truck he will bark and howl like he wants to get out and go. I am concerned that I will push him to hard and make him suffer.

What say ye?

Thanks,

Jesse

Last edited:
As far as when to retire them, they will tell you by how they are feeling basically. It will become obvious if it is too taxing or they are in too much pain afterwards, regardless of any pain medications, when to retire. They will always have the heart, just that the body can no longer take the abuse.

Having said that... Have you conditioned him properly prior to the season? That would be my first question.

All dogs, but most especially senior dogs need to be conditioned properly before the season, albeit a little more slowly.

Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplementation if started months before the season can help also. Normally it takes 6 weeks minimum to see any results, so you need to start them early.

Aside from that if you just want to help them with the stiffness after hunts, you may ask your Vet about using Rimadyl or like NSAIDS. In a pinch you can use (1) 325 mg buffered aspirin (Ascriptin is good) every 8 hours. I have a 12 year old that I'm still planning on hunting a little this year and I plan on having a small bottle of Rimadyl for those times that he may get a little stiff.

With the Senior dogs you are going to have to limit your hunts to short ones, maybe an hour or less depending on their condition. You be the judge as they will go till they drop.

Last edited:
Thanks Tom for the reply. I have properly conditioned him by running him 2-3 times a week all summer. I will try the Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements

Thanks for your help,

Jesse

Buster,

You can certainly try the Glucosamine, but as I stated it may not give any relief for 6 weeks. If I were you I would look into the Rimadyl. there may be even some newer/better alternatives, so ask your vet. You may only need a small bottle like I have to get them over the worst of times and not have them on it indefinitely

I have a 10 year old Brittany, I hunt him a lot I mean 5 days a week. He has done this all his life. I run him in cover about 45 minutes every day possible. So he never really gets out of condition. That said, I give one 87 grain Baby Aspirin after very hunt, but not after the daily runs. In the evenings he shows a little stiffness in his back legs on hunting days. But by morning it is all gone and he is ready to go hunting again. The off days I take during the week drive him nuts. He wants to go and I'm the one getting the rest.....Bob

If I were you I would look into the Rimadyl.

I have used Rimadyl on a couple of dogs that were getting older and a little arthritic. The stuff works great. Not that there isn't other meds you can get from your vet, but Rimadyl has worked for me.

That said, I give one 87 grain Baby Aspirin after very hunt, but not after the daily runs.

Bob, talk to your vet about Rimadyl. Easier on the dog than aspirin and does a much better job.

Hello

It's sad when we see your beloved dog get old. You know that he or she can't stay with you forever, but it still can be hard. As with everything in nature, it all matures and gets older. Gone are the days, when your dog could run after you and have so much energy. Like everything in life, your dog has entered into a different stage of life. This is what you need to know about old dog care.

Taking care of your old dog, starts with a well-made soft bed. A cushy bed will help soothe any physical pain that your dog might be feeling. Since your dog is not as active as he once one, its very important to have a bed that is not hard or lumpy for this is where a lot of his or her time will be spent.

Giving your dog good nutritional food is always a must, regardless of the age of the dog. Giving an added vitamin could help with keeping your dog much healthier. Don't settle for cheap dog food, because this is the time that your dog needs the extra vitamins and minerals, to help maintain good health.

Thanks
Hjave a nice time a head.

dog supplements...

Have a almost 8 year golden. shows signs of rear leg drag and stiffness. Plan to use aspirin (buffered) and ordered Cosequin, on line. Prices vary with web site. Good luck. Jon.

I have a 12 year old lab that will accompany me to Kansas next month. He's good for an hour's hunt twice a day at most. Fortunately, I have a 6 year old hard-charger as well who gets most of the work.

He's fed well and gets a decent amount of excercise in the off season. I plan on taking him along even if it's only for one hunt in a week. He'll let me know when he's ready to retire.

lefty

Back