Old man heading to open season

turtle

Dad passed away today at the age of 83 . I think he heard that ol St. Peter likes pheasant hunters and there are no limits or closed seasons. Bet a beer that he has already caught up all his dogs and giving them a good loving. Tomorrow he will hunt pain free.

Hope it's all true. If nothing else, he had a good son to hunt with for many years.

Dreamed of the last hunt he and I shared last night. He knew it was going to be his last hunt and so did I. We drank a beer or three and watched my son and nephew clean the birds. Just weird dreaming it just like it happened.

My dad quit hunting 10 years ago.I miss hunting with him, he was a good bird Hunter, and a good shot at one time. He drank too much, and didn't know any ranchers worth mentioning.I found good places for him to hunt for free.I think the last 15 years he hunted, he might have shot 2 birds.He got to where he couldn't hit the side of a barn, but he didn't care.He liked to get out of the city, and away from his wife, so he could hit the scotch. He shot an Ithica 20 guage side by side, and shot it well in his younger days.He bought the gun in 1970. He's getting well into his eighties now, but I know he still misses hunting in Montana. So when the first rooster of the season is had tomorrow, I'll think of the first one I got with my dad.

No better bond that son with his Dad. Dad with good gun dog is a close second.
I have so many fond memories of hunting with my Dad. He passed away in 2014 and it seems like yesterday - his remains in my memories and dreams. All good.

Yeah I miss the hunting trips to central montana, eastern mt., the highline, we used to go all over, and we had good success, because I knocked on 100s of doors. My dad had major booze issues, and he was kind of an asshole , but we had fun with our dogs.I had to race his golden retriever to a bird, because if she got there first, she would tear it to shreds. 2 of his later dogs, just screded the birds I shot.He never hit anything in his 60s or 70s.

Back