Ok Arizona

jmac

Ok Arizona has its own thread Lets get started.

Roll call.

I'm scott from the valley of the sun. I hunt mostly Quail in az.

Lets here from the rest of the folks from Arizona.:thumbsup:

It's been a long time ago but when I was stationed at Williams Field I hunted quail a lot and have really great memories :thumbsup:

Jmac Ive always wanted to hunt quail in AZ or NM --- do you get out often? Go after scalies or gambels?

Used to work from Progressive Insurance and they have (or did have) a regional training center there. Spent the better part of a month there a week at a time during different months during 2005. Got an SUV for a rental a couple times and drove some trails just west of Phx. Saw lots of Gambels quail. Looked fun to hunt.

Quail are in short supply in KS.

Jmac Ive always wanted to hunt quail in AZ or NM --- do you get out often? Go after scalies or gambels?

Used to work from Progressive Insurance and they have (or did have) a regional training center there. Spent the better part of a month there a week at a time during different months during 2005. Got an SUV for a rental a couple times and drove some trails just west of Phx. Saw lots of Gambels quail. Looked fun to hunt.

Quail are in short supply in KS.

Yes I get out as often as I can. Mostly after Gambels, but do get after scalies and Mearns a couple times a year.:)

I'll be down there from Dec. 6-14 and again sometime in January. How's the hunting been so far?

It just got cold, the weather, that is. Hunting has been hit and miss around the PHX central desert area. But it's not to bad. This cold snap and all the rain we got this last weekend will be a game changer. The cold make them form super coveys, that flush wildly out of range. Hunt the singles.:)

Frangler let me know if you want to go hunting.

Last edited:
My parents Wintered Down by Apache Junction back when it was just a nice desert.
While visiting I would walk the desert, lots of quail, What Kind?
Didn't hunt them, I think it was a no hunting area.

Wayne,

They are Gambels Quail. You can hunt them around AJ, as long as you stay a 1/4 mile from any occupied building. This is a fairly new law about two or three years , since the AZGFD opened of a million acres to dove and quail hunters. There is some decent hunting just outside of AJ.:)

Wayne,

They are Gambels Quail. You can hunt them around AJ, as long as you stay a 1/4 mile from any occupied building. This is a fairly new law about two or three years , since the AZGFD opened of a million acres to dove and quail hunters. There is some decent hunting just outside of AJ.:)

Is that the no mans land that is east and north of town? Is there a little tourist trap not too far from a mountain in that area? If so I climbed half way up one and drove that one lane road that takes you out to a lake somewhere if I remember right. Scary darn road and some Very PRETTY country.

Is that the no mans land that is east and north of town? Is there a little tourist trap not too far from a mountain in that area? If so I climbed half way up one and drove that one lane road that takes you out to a lake somewhere if I remember right. Scary darn road and some Very PRETTY country.

SSSSHHHHH. LOL yup that's the one. Tourist trap and all.Tonto national forest. :thumbsup:

I hiked up and into the Superstition Mountains, nothing but cool.
Then going North to the reservoirs, Salt canyon? can't remember the names.
What fun country to take a hike.

You leave -30 in N MN, snow all the way to Flagstaff, ??what the heck is this? AZ, why did My Folks invite us here?:confused::confused:
That was our thoughts first trip to AZ my bride and our little kids.

Going South from Flaqstaff, soon the heater goes off in the car and then the AC goes on, WE UNDERSTOOD. :)

I hiked up and into the Superstition Mountains, nothing but cool.
Then going North to the reservoirs, Salt canyon? can't remember the names.
What fun country to take a hike.

You leave -30 in N MN, snow all the way to Flagstaff, ??what the heck is this? AZ, why did My Folks invite us here?:confused::confused:
That was our thoughts first trip to AZ my bride and our little kids.

Going South from Flaqstaff, soon the heater goes off in the car and then the AC goes on, WE UNDERSTOOD. :)

Wayne,

LOL you are so right, about the 6500 foot drop in elevation, almost 7000. Winters hear in the valley of the sun, aren't to shabby.;)

Flagstaff has very often has record snowfalls! I'll tell you one thing, they have highest pines I think I have ever seen! Very beautiful. The road NW toward the Grand Canyon is a long way from anywhere. When I went to the Grand Canyon originally, you had to take the Santa Fe train! To go on the North Rim, it was a horse and mule event. In the old days, the canyon floor along 66, scaled quail were everywhere, some spots of Gambel's, but they were all over the cottonwood canyons near Phoenix. By the way, scouters this is "old news", like the 1965-1975 range. I do have a favorite place, but I am not sharing that here! Good Quail men will know. :cheers:

Flagstaff has very often has record snowfalls! I'll tell you one thing, they have highest pines I think I have ever seen! Very beautiful. The road NW toward the Grand Canyon is a long way from anywhere. When I went to the Grand Canyon originally, you had to take the Santa Fe train! To go on the North Rim, it was a horse and mule event. In the old days, the canyon floor along 66, scaled quail were everywhere, some spots of Gambel's, but they were all over the cottonwood canyons near Phoenix. By the way, scouters this is "old news", like the 1965-1975 range. I do have a favorite place, but I am not sharing that here! Good Quail men will know. :cheers:

oldandnew,

I don't know what is going on with the scaled Quail, down here. They are becoming more and more difficult to find. you have to go south and east into the state to get into them now. 10 years ago, you could find them in parts of the central state but I have not seen them,in this part of the state, for a long ,long time.

I think the daily limit on "quail" was like 24. Except Mearn's and Masked Bobwhite, which were rare then and are endangered now. Every gas station, motel, curiosity shop you passed had all of the Arizona quail mounted, a lot of times they were running around outside too! I thought it was paradise. Hope you get the right timing of moisture this winter. I think the deal is if you get moisture from November to March of around 10 inches or better, very good for quail! If the quail come back, I'll move, if I could find water! Last scaled quail I pursued were around Elephant Butte, New Mexico, I made it that far because I was there around Millinstand , hunting Lesser Prairie chicken, That show how far back that was! Season was like 4 days. There were a lot of scaled quail, as we rounded them up and chased them, covey after covey joined the band, I think there were probably 1000 birds scattered around, we got some shots after 5 miles routing them out of Cholla, like ticks!

Wayne,

LOL you are so right, about the 6500 foot drop in elevation, almost 7000. Winters hear in the valley of the sun, aren't to shabby.;)

On that first trip to AZ, We of coarse wanted to see the Grand Canyon. Snow! We were at a junction East of the Canyon. We stayed the night before at Jacob Lake. It had been snowing hard, At the junction the main road to the Canyon was closed due to heavy snow. We had breakfast and about that time the snowplows came through, so we saw the canyon right after at that time was a record snowfall for the area.

I grew up in Northern Glendale and was introduced to quail hunting when I was 14 by a family friend. He took me to hunt all over central arizona from Congress to AJ.

He also introduced me to the Arizona Hunting Dog Club (now Arizona Pointing Dog Club) back in 1986 and was their bird planter for about 2 years at all their trials (mostly on foot). Got to hunt Mearns/Scaled quail with organized hunts with that group then.

Moved to Tucson in '94 for Undergrad and got my first GSP (105 lbs solid built dog and not fat at all, he was enormous). Hunted all over southern AZ, like King's Anvil Ranch, Picacho Peak area and North Oracle JXN.

Moved back to Northern Glendale in 1999 to attend Midwestern University for another 2 years and spent an additional 2 years in Flagstaff. There I hunted from Cottonwood south to Bloody Basin Rd, Dugas Rd.

I used to run out after work to some land near the VA Cemetary near Deer Valley and run up Gambels in the small washes there or chase jack rabbits on my 3 wheeler. All houses now!!!

The military then sent me everywhere else in the country but none had as good of public land access as AZ. I truly miss those opportunities.

Back