Ohio public stocking

Bryan Casto

Did anyone do any good this year on the stocked public land. I havent tried it but plan on i tnext year. Anyone hunt Salt fork or Dillon state park, those are the 2 closest to me. Any info about hunting stocked areas or the public ground above will be greatly appreciated.

Bryan,

I didn't hunt on public land in Ohio this year, but if your close enough to Pa. you might want to think about getting a non- resident license for next year. The PGC will be returning to releasing over 200,000 birds. They will be released on SGL's , Co-Ops and Safety Zone properties. The grouse and woodcock hunting is also pretty decent and there is an on going wild pheasant program. So if your in driving distance, it might be something to think about!

stocking

Is there any places in PA stocking program in the SW part of the state. Im bout 2 hr to pittsburg. Also is there any decent wood cock hunting in that part of the state. I may make a trip up that way if i can figure out where to go.

We have hunted dillion all year we killed about 40 birds,but after thanksgiving it has died off greatly we've seen 3 birds since.

ohio

Dillon isnt to far. Is there certain places they release birds at on there? and hows the cover. Have you ever tried saltfork?

Did anyone do any good this year on the stocked public land. I havent tried it but plan on i tnext year. Anyone hunt Salt fork or Dillon state park, those are the 2 closest to me. Any info about hunting stocked areas or the public ground above will be greatly appreciated.

I have walked Salt Fork in the past.
Never would again.
Advice re released Ohio pheasants?....beat the crowd to the door, if you can.
Work to ignore those hunters who jump in the field with you and think...the more the merrier.
Hunt in an opposite direction to the mashed down grass.
Consider surrounding private acreage after the first fusillade.
Take to heart Horace Greeley's famously quoted advice.

They filmed a Finding Bigfoot segment at Salt Fork a while back...be careful what lurks unseen and watching....just a head's up.:)

Since this was originally posted in '11', I reckon lesson learned.

Last edited:
No I haven't tried it yet. Salt forks that bad? Dillon may be better they r the closet to me. IS there certain areas of the park the release on or is it just a guess. If anyone wants to run dogs at one of these places some time message me, always fun to make new huntting buddies and see some good dog work

Back