offseason practice

The more you shoot, the more natural the gun will feel in your hands.

BigJohn, one would think that it would help, but I had a buddy, who I hope doesn't read this, that wanted a woodduck bad. He spent all summer shootin' clays and trap. Seasoned opened and the poor guy had to run back to the truck for more shells. He told me he was tearing up the clays all year.I told him that clays don't shift gears and flare after the first shot, and they all are not flying the same speed. They did not help him, but I would think that they would!!!!!

clays

bleub, i have wandered about this too. i dont think shooting clays can hurt. i shoot 200 or 300 a month. this is a great thread ill set back and learn on this one:)

I say shoot as offen as possible also. It can't hurt and shooting clays is a geat way to spend some time with family and friends. :thumbsup:

In theory (& most times in practice) it definitely helps!

However, I know guys that can consistently tear-it-up at the rifle range or skeet & trap club - but for whatever reason just can't seem to connect when it comes to live-game.

I also know a few country boys who hardly ever practice at all beyond "three-in-the-pie-plate" or a couple dozen clay pigeons once in a while (and they may not even do all that well at the range) - but some kind of primal lightning-quick auto-INSTINCT kicks in whenever live fur or feathers appears on the radar screen! :D

The thing I practice most is mounting my gun in front of a mirror. I am making sure I bring the gun to my cheek. Not my cheek down to the gun. It is a proven fact in the heat of the flush, more birds are missed by this reason. The shooter place their cheek down to the gun..........Bob

No question shooting in the off season will make you a better wingshooter.

The more you practice the better you will become. Just remember to shoot gun down and not with the gun mounted up to your shoulder to allow you to perfect your gun mount. Shooting sporting clays is great, but even just Skeet or trap gun down will hone your skills tremendously.

My dad can't hit a trap clay to save his life, litterally 2 out of 25, but he can shoot ducks quite well.

Back