Off OFF breeds...

V-John

I was hunting the other day on public ground and saw a guy walking through timber. Whenever I see someone else in the field, I turn around and walk the other way, simply because I do not trust other people or, more importantly their dogs. This time, I didn't have a chance, and he started making a beeline right for me.

This guy's dogs came up to mine, and immediately began to posture my dogs, but fortunately, I was able to get mine away before a dog fight started. I yelled at him to call his dogs, and get them away from mine.

But anyways, the point of this was that he had a lab, and a full sized poodle. Not a pudelpointer, but an American poodle. I've never seen it before, but I also realize that there are hunting lines of them.

I also get that lots of people use different breeds, for different types of hunting, and I'm all for it. As long as they have a job and make the owner happy, who cares?

But it was interesting to see this guy out with a poodle.

Oh and by the way, as he calls his dogs back, they blow up a covey, and he calls to me "I bet that is what you were looking for!".

Aggravating.

Anyone see any different off breeds out there?

I had a friend that hunted with two standard poodles. They were very good bird dogs.

He did go to a breeder that specifically breeds poodles for field work to get them. Somewhere back east, maybe Maryland or Virginia.

They were both impressive working dogs. Loved water work as well as upland.

We were talking about field bred poodles at work the other day, google images brings up a lot of them duck hunting.

I've never witnessed anything more than what we all would consider traditional pheasant type dogs. Pointers, GSPs, setters, brittanys, labs, goldens, chessies, etc.

Did see a tv show once with a big group hunting with a guide service. Guide had some traditional dogs (labs I think), but also a blue heeler. The video showed that heeler was a great retriever.

Oh yeah. I'm not sure what he was hunting to be honest. I did notice, and did not envy, the amount of burrs that were on the dog. Yikes.

I've seen poodles in retriever hunt tests. I'm sure there are good ones but the one I saw run failed a started test miserably which is tough to do. Two others which are mediocre at best.

Hunter in a group in SD had a small Jack Russell terrier he called PD for pocket dog. He was an effective finder and flusher. Kind of humorous.

When my wife's mini aussie was young, I would take her out hunting with me and Rusty. She always stayed close by me without any commands, and seemed to enjoy the trips. She didn't really DO much, but she definitely didn't hurt anything either. She was a regular addition to the hunting team until table scraps got the best of her. She got heavy in her later years and just couldn't keep up anymore.
:cheers:

I saw a guy with two rat terriers out pheasant hunting. He said he was military and they weren't supposed to have dogs where he lived on the base. He said he has trained them not to bark, and that he has them because he can hide them easier. They went through every brush pile, and they were so small they could get all the way down in it. Didn't have success when I was watching but I'm sure he did at times or he wouldn't be out hunting with them.

A guy I have hunted with a few times has a big German Shepard that he uses to hunt pheasants. She does pretty well too.

Jerry

I saw a guy pheasant hunting in thick cover , in Montana , with a cocker spaniel.I hunted with a 3-4 German Shepard a few times.

A guy I have hunted with a few times has a big German Shepard that he uses to hunt pheasants. She does pretty well too.

Jerry

Yeah- I used to hunt with a guy who had a 129 pound g. Shepard.He was pretty good, and actually retrieved well. He learned from watching my lab. He was very smart.The roosters fooled him a lot,but he flushed hens well.

Back