Obedience Training

Pheasant.Esq

Hi Guys - I got the call this weekend that our black lab puppy was born! This will be my first dog, and I would like to do the obedience training myself before I send the dog to a trainer for the hunt training. Does anyone have any recommendations for obedience training materials? I searched this forum and found a ton of helpful dog training information, but most of it applies to dogs that have (or should have) obedience training down. My Google search returned thousands of results, so I wanted to ask here and narrow down the results.

Thanks!

I'm sure folks will think I'm crazy but I had my wife take my current dog to basic obedience classes locally when Misty was a pup. I think some woman taught the classes at a Petco or something.

So why did I do that? Couple of reasons.

1. Previous to Misty, my wife always complained that each dog was MY dog. I had taught them everything and I was the Alpha. As a result, the previous dogs didn't always respond as well for her as they did for me. This really changed when she taught Misty obedience. Misty is far more clued in to my wife than the other dogs ever were. Very responsive and loving. I have no problems with Misty either. I sort of think she sees both of us a sharing Alpha if that's possible. Wife is happy, dog is happy, I am happy.

2. I think women in general (and my wife in particular) have more patience in training than myself and most men. The women take their time, don't worry about schedules, are gentler and more positive and don't seem to get as frustrated when a dog isn't getting it. So the introduction to learning is very positive and builds a good base. We had no trouble transitioning Misty from wife/obedience to me/field work.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary. If I ever get another pup, I'm following this same route though. Worked well for me.

Congrats on the pup
I am a fan of Bill Hillmans early puppy stuff. But its not really a specific obedience program. I used to help teach a community ed obedience class that was great for puppies as they learned obedience and social skills. See if their is something similar in your neck of the woods.

I'd agree with Chestle about a Petco or similar obedience class. If your dog was a versatile dog, I'd say bring him/her to a NAVHDA obedience class but those are geared more towards the versatile dog. Learning whoa, etc. But just about any obedience class would get you started and worth your money.

Plus I've found going to a class, I stick with training at home better versus going it alone. Mostly because I want my pup to look smart and not have me be embarrassed when my dog isn't figuring something out that I clearly spent no time in teaching at home before the next class.

When I got my first dog, a Springer, way back in 1974 I found an obedience class being taught in a group setting at a local high school gym. Best move I ever made. It taught both me and the dog. I think many of these classes have a minimum age to enroll and I think 6-12 months would be about right. Too young and their attention span is too short. But there are still the basic things you can teach your dog before 6 months of age. Good luck with the pup.

It looks like there are a handful of offerings in my area, so now I just need to get signed up. Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

This is also an excellent point. The social skills...getting along with other dogs, etc...is another valuable benefit.

I used to help teach a community ed obedience class that was great for puppies as they learned obedience and social skills.

Talk with your trainer first. Most quality trainers will have a 3 month basic gun dog program which will include obedience, ff, and collar conditioning. Along with bird intro, decoys, etc. They are going to want your dog around 6-8 months of age. You are going to be paying for a 3 month program so you might want to let the trainer take care of obedience training. However, you can begin intro to sit, heel, and here. But formal training won't start until 6 months of age.

I own a GSP just over a year old. Have only owned Brittanys until this one. He has a weird habit when pointing Quail only on the initial find. He will soft point, back off circle come back point, move side to side and than finally hard point. I not sure what to make of it. Is it scent from the birds having moved around the area? Not sure what to make of it. I just stand and watch him work (if you can call it that), until he hard points. Occasionally has bumped the covey by getting to close. Any advise or shared experience would be welcome.

Check out Cornerstone Gundog Academy, they have some free videos and advanced courses that cost money. They are more waterfowl based in advanced. Check out there podcasts also (build from here) Josh Parvin

I’d work on here, heal and sit til the pup goes off for training, usually around 6 months ( I believe when the adult teeth come in ). Is there a local AKC or HRC club? That could be beneficial. Julie Bates (Knutson) author of Training the Pointing Lab, talks about a daily walk with a young pup, off lead. This has worked well for me. Helps develop a bond. She also has numerous training podcasts available on Podbean. I believe that they are free. Her book covers all aspects of training as well. Good luck!

I teach my lab pups using white paper plates as targets.
Every feeding session, with each training less than a minute.
I teach heeling, backwards heeling, 2-sided heeling, whistle sit, casting, lining that way.
Here is an example whistle sit:

Same lab the next year hunting:

Back