NW MO or KS?

Setter_Lee

Greetings- My name is Lee, I am brand new to the forums, and would like to get some opinions on a topic I have been considering lately. Here goes...I live in SE MO, where I have been having a decent quail season this year, with plenty of covies on the mostly private land I regularly hunt. I am considering making an excursion into ringneck country sometime in the next couple of weeks for a few days of hunting. Realizing that KS is basically a crap shot this year, I am wondering if I might not just be better off taking advantage of my residency, and sticking with NW MO.

My expectations are, I think, quite reasonable. I would simply like a chance at a wild rooster or two, and mainly the opportunity for my newly acquired setter to stretch his legs a bit in some more open territory. These brushy old hills around here are really cramping his style!

I am curious to see what you all think. Thanks in advance!
Lee

If your talking about comparing NE KS and NW MO I think I would head to NW MO for pheasant. Normally wouldn't say that but the past couple of years have been the exception. I might even go as far as heading up into Iowa if you have the time and funds. Not sure what there season dates are though.

Iowa

If your talking about comparing NE KS and NW MO I think I would head to NW MO for pheasant. Normally wouldn't say that but the past couple of years have been the exception. I might even go as far as heading up into Iowa if you have the time and funds. Not sure what there season dates are though.

Our season here in Iowa ends Jan 10th

I went to NW Ks in Nov, against all the advice, if i had it to over again, after finding more quail in the northern part of Mo, I should have stayed here.
However the advantage on going to Ks, is your license will be good for all year, (I think) if you want to go back.
there are some very good ca areas in the nw and ne part of the state you could make a circle and hunt several, there are plenty of motels and i don't think they will be booked up in jan
good luck, keep us informed

Thanks to all for the advice!
Setterbud, this is exactly what I had in mind. Right now I have my eye on Nodaway Valley, Thurnau, Bob Brown, Bilby and a few others CA's. However, I am definately open to suggestions from you veterans.

If what I have in mind comes together, this will be a quite interesting journey(roosters or none). I will be sure to post a trip report!

Its been a real tough year in most areas of KS. Most years there is no question that KS would be a better choice. Not necessarily the case this season.

I believe we were in a little recovery here. I suspected that despite the doom and gloom by the conservation people we had flood 2 years ago which resulted in No-plant acres, terrible reproduction, but grew up in ragweed, resulted for better carryover for the birds we have, more ragweed than I have seen in 10years, a very mild winter last year, followed by a warm early and dry spring. Despite the drought we had good production. Drought years are usually a benefit here. One more good spring, no more cold rain, late springs, which has been our plague, might get super compensating quail reproduction, because we now have enough birds to get something done. Missouri is finally managing quail habitat agressively. We may be on the plus side of the cycle. I'd like to see it before I hang up my spurs! As I say, Missouri harvested 4 million quail in the late 60's, and 2 million repeatedly for over a decade. Now 200,000+/-.

Glad your finding birds....

Old/new...

Nice post and I am very glad that quail numbers are improving in MO:)
We have some similar results here in KY.....in areas with decent to good habitat.
The CREP program has been a nice boost for the birds and I have had several very good days afield so far:thumbsup:

I would love to try MO next season if the numbers continue to improve.

Note: this is the first year in over 20 years that I did not travel west to chase birds...with all the poor reports and drought conditions. I felt it best to stay closer to home....

Happy New Year to all and good hunting!

Old/new...

Nice post and I am very glad that quail numbers are improving in MO:)
We have some similar results here in KY.....in areas with decent to good habitat.
The CREP program has been a nice boost for the birds and I have had several very good days afield so far:thumbsup:

I would love to try MO next season if the numbers continue to improve.

Note: this is the first year in over 20 years that I did not travel west to chase birds...with all the poor reports and drought conditions. I felt it best to stay closer to home....

Happy New Year to all and good hunting!

The other bright spot is Kentucky, from what I read. Again the conservation commission is involved and making progress. Lets hope for the best.

Thanks to all for the advice!
Setterbud, this is exactly what I had in mind. Right now I have my eye on Nodaway Valley, Thurnau, Bob Brown, Bilby and a few others CA's. However, I am definately open to suggestions from you veterans.

If what I have in mind comes together, this will be a quite interesting journey(roosters or none). I will be sure to post a trip report!

Remember if you hunt those areas you need steel shot only and you will be checked. You can check out Pony Express also. I hunted near there yesterday and we pushed 4 covies and 20 Pheasants.

Zeepo

Thats why you got into birds Zeepo is because you hunted NEAR there and not ON there. :D:D All the birds pushed onto private land! :eek:

3 of us hunted Bilby yesterday for 3 1/2 hours, we came home with 4 roosters and 2 quail. Not a bad morning.

Thats why you got into birds Zeepo is because you hunted NEAR there and not ON there. :D:D All the birds pushed onto private land! :eek:

We hunted Pony Express 2 weeks ago after the snow and saw and killed more birds than we did on my private ground. They are there but you have to get into the nasty stuff to get them out.

zeepo

Doesn't look like I will be able to make it up North this year. Ironically enough, the dog I planned on taking actually took a nice chunk out of my forearm yesterday, and I am now required by law to keep him confined for 10 days!
The dog is a 4 year old setter that is a killer bird finder, rock solid on point, with A++ prey drive. Overall, other than being a bit wired, his temperament is very gentle, even "sweet". He just absolutely hates loading into a kennel or crate, and has obviously experienced som serious trauma! I have only had "Bear"(more irony?) for about a month, and although the pain in my arm tells me otherwise, I still believe him to be worth the work necessary to bring him around... Guess only time will tell. Here's to next year(at least my pups will be ready for action by the Fall)!!:cheers:

We hunted Pony Express 2 weeks ago after the snow and saw and killed more birds than we did on my private ground. They are there but you have to get into the nasty stuff to get them out.

zeepo

I sure hope MO keeps improving! I'd love to get over there next year if I can.

Too bad about the Setter. I bet you can get him to kennel without to much work.

Doesn't look like I will be able to make it up North this year. Ironically enough, the dog I planned on taking actually took a nice chunk out of my forearm yesterday, and I am now required by law to keep him confined for 10 days!
The dog is a 4 year old setter that is a killer bird finder, rock solid on point, with A++ prey drive. Overall, other than being a bit wired, his temperament is very gentle, even "sweet". He just absolutely hates loading into a kennel or crate, and has obviously experienced som serious trauma! I have only had "Bear"(more irony?) for about a month, and although the pain in my arm tells me otherwise, I still believe him to be worth the work necessary to bring him around... Guess only time will tell. Here's to next year(at least my pups will be ready for action by the Fall)!!:cheers:

I had a shorthair that was the same way. I then built a very large crate without a top and I would get in it and call him in or throw treats in it and even feed him in it. I then built it smaller and smaller over the course of many months. The last thing was to put the top on which at first he did not like but he got used to it and finally would kennel on command. If he is a good dog like you say I would not give up. It will take a lot of time and hard work.

Zeepo

Back