NSTRA's Dog of the Year Trial

Have a doctors appointment on Wed. that's why I can't make that come that day. I'll call Wed. afternoon to see how you did.

We have the last brace of the day on Wednesday so call around supper tme.

Update after the first day at the Dog of the Year. Elle had 2 finds, 2 retrieves and a back and so did a number of other dogs. That put us on the bubble for advancing. We missed advancing by 18 pts. On both finds Elle had great points and then moved a couple steps to relocate and get in the scent cone better. Those steps cost me at least 10 pts. on each find and kept us from advancing. But she had a good run and we had a good time. Heading home in the AM.

Rock from this site was there this afternoon with is female Viszla and had an excellent 5 birds run so Rock will be moving on to the second round on Friday. His dog is a tiny little Viszla that can't weigh more than 30 lbs. but a really nice looking dog. And can that little gal move. It was fun watching her in the field and I wish her and Rock the best on Friday.

Last edited:
Still a solid performance Zeb and one you should be proud of. I'm guessing there were more than just a few dogs which did not advance that far, which should say something about Elle. :thumbsup:

George,it was a pleasure meeting you on Wedsday,I wish I was able to watch Elle run but had to get home asap so I could get to work today.For a dog who has never been to those grounds before,Elle did a great job.She is a nice,well manored dog and you should be proud!

Bummer, Rock and Lucy got beat out by a dog in the last brace of the day. I've been watching the results throughout the day as they are updated on the NSTRA web site. I thought sure Rock and Lucy were going to advance to Saturday.

Rock, you have a great little dog there. You should be happy with her performance. Especially competing against all the "big dogs" in NSTRA. That's the one thing I've seen at the national trials. A lot of the dogs are professional trial dogs. Their owners do nothing but travel the country and run trials. Most of those dogs probably never do any wild bird hunting and they probably run more trials in a year than my dog will run in a lifetime. They are good and it's tough to compete against that caliber of dog. But Hey Rock, we can hold our own against most of them.

Amen George!!I knew I was on the bubble after my run but held out hope going into the last brace of the day.If I said I wasn't alittle disapointed,i'd be lying.Hopefully,if I get to run next year,I can improve.But now comes the main reason we have dogs,Hunting season!!!!!!
Once again it was great meeting you George and hope to see you and Elle again next year.

I was going to come out and watch some this week but was sicker than a dog. Probably caught it in that cesspool Chicago last weekend....

Back