NSTRA's Dog of the Year Trial

Dakotazeb

The draw came out today and Elle is in the Dog of the Year Trial in Indiana, Oct. 23-26. She is braced against a dog out of Texas the first day of the trial on A Field, the 16th brace.

They are having a trail prior to the Dog of the Year and I have her entered to get a couple runs under her belt and adjusted to the fields down there.

I'll be leaving the weekend of the SD opener but that's okay. I never get to excited about the opener with all the hunters in the field. We'll make up for it when we get home.

DOGPointing_zpse1e55ceb.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on the invite. That's an honor in itself. Be sure to take yr rabbits foot, lucky hat or other GL totem.

And Good Luck down in Indiana, my home state. NASTRA has its origins in Indiana if memory serves.

NB

Dog of the Year is held at my club. I might be out there working the kitchen or something if my schedule permits.

Very Cool! Good luck to both of you!:thumbsup::10sign:

What town is it at? If it's close enough I'll come to it.

What day is the competition? It's close enough that I'll come and watch and give moral support. I used to show draft horses so I know it can get nerve racking.

What day is the competition? It's close enough that I'll come and watch and give moral support. I used to show draft horses so I know it can get nerve racking.

It starts on Wednesday, Oct. 23rd. The first round takes both Wednesday and Thursday. They run 3 fields each day with 16 braces (32 dogs) on each field. That's 192 dogs entered. The top 16 dogs from each field each day (96 dogs) will advance to the 2nd round to be held on Friday. On Friday they will again run 16 braces on all 3 fields with the top 8 dogs on each field advancing to the final day on Saturday. On Saturday, in the 3rd round, they will run 4 braces (8 dogs) on each field with the top 2 dogs from each field advancing to the 4th round. Those 6 dogs then are braced and the top 2 get to the finals (5th round).

I have the 16th brace on A Field on Wednesday. I sure hope to advance to Friday, and beyond, but one never knows. Could also be one and done. Depends on which dogs bring their "A" game that day.

Phil V, I'll PM you my cell phone number. If you do come just give me a call.

Good luck George. I know you are so proud of Elle. All your dedication and hard work with her has been rewarded. Have fun.

I'll be leaving Saturday and arriving in Amo, IN on Sunday. Hope to see and meet a couple of you Indiana guys while I'm there.

We have a couple of runs in the pre-trial on Monday & Tuesday. Elle is in the first brace on A Field on Monday and the third brace on B Field on Tuesday.

The Dog of the Year Trail starts on Wednesday. Elle has the 16th brace on A Field on Wednesday.

Good Luck down in Hoosierland, George. Safe Travels.

Be sure to take your lucky Field Trial hat, collar, leash, whistle, blank gun, or other totem along with you. Hope Ellie has some good bracemates, good birds and some good weather too.:)

Rod

Bring some warm clothes. From Tues. on the highs are low to mid 50's and the lows will be the 30's. I plan on being there on Thursday. Plan on showing up in the morning. Not sure of exact time yet but will look you up.

Phil, those are my kind of temps. Nice and cool for the dogs. I may or may not be there on Thursday. If Elle doesn't advance out of the first round we will probably be headed home on Thursday. I'm not planning on that being the case, but one never knows. You have my number so call and see where I'm at.

Have a doctors appointment on Wed. that's why I can't make that come that day. I'll call Wed. afternoon to see how you did.

My region has a trial Sat. and Sun.,judging Saturday,running Sunday.Was touch and go trying to get off work next week,but talked them into it,I'm running Wedsday as well.See you there and good luck

Back