Nstra

It's the National Shoot to Retrieve Association. It's trials for pointing dogs. Here's their web site that explains everything. The breeder I got my pup from runs his dogs in these trials.

http://www.nstra.org/

George, I have a few friends that run their dogs in Nstra trials. To me those are a true test of a dogs Hunting ability. To me AKC and their regulations on field trial is a bunch of bullcrap. AKC champion means nothing to me, if fact I'll pass on some of those dogs. But a Nstra Champion, I have a lot of respect for. You could run Elle in Nstra, and she could do quite well, especially if she is a fairly close fast working dog. I have never been in one but I have attended several........Bob

Sorry Rocky, but pointing dogs only. There is a trial in Pine City on May 1st & 2nd at the Rocky Bay Hunt Club.

I've read both positive and negative things about the NSTRA trials. But it's that way with most things. I think as long as a guy doesn't get too serious and just does it as a fun thing and a way to get your dog some work in the off-season they would be fine. Sounds like conditioning is very important as the dogs go for a solid 30 minutes and speed is critical as you want the most finds. I need to do some force fetch on my 1 year old female Brittany to firm up her retrieve and I think she could do well. She runs fast and hard, solid stylish points, naturally backs and easy to control in the field. Her sire is a champion NSTRA dog and her dam also has run in NSTRA. Her breeder is a big NSTRA guy and runs his dogs around the country. I jsut migh have to give it a try!! :)

After reading your last post George, I can see why I like Elle sight on seen. Like I said NSTRA dogs turn me on. If I was in the market for a pup her breeding would be at the top of the list. If you decide to run her, good luck, she should do well........Bob

George, I have a few friends that run their dogs in Nstra trials. To me those are a true test of a dogs Hunting ability. To me AKC and their regulations on field trial is a bunch of bullcrap. AKC champion means nothing to me, if fact I'll pass on some of those dogs. But a Nstra Champion, I have a lot of respect for. You could run Elle in Nstra, and she could do quite well, especially if she is a fairly close fast working dog. I have never been in one but I have attended several........Bob
Looking at this, I want to say that this is absolutly not the case with all AKC Field trials, I am asuming you are talking about the pointing trials. But when conveyed this way people can be miss lead to believing all AKC events are this way, This is why I speek out when someone generalizes Titles or Field trials as a general topic. So People like Flush em hard Rocky understand that there is several AKC Events. I am involved in AKC English Springer Spaniel trials, there is no other venue that bodes better for the ESS breed. Not sure that is the case or not with other breeds but With the ESS, it is the finest organization you can find. So Please anyone, when you Bash AKC or titled dogs as in other posts, please be specific as to what you are talking about. Rocky I know you have an ESS and if you are looking for somthing like this I would highly recomend the AKC ESS field trials. They don't limmit the # of dogs entered but do hold high standards for bird finding, marking, steadyness, drive, soft mouths, controll ect. No ofence Bob just looking for clarification. If it is the horseback stuff or what ever it is you don't like. Pointer trials, lab trials or what ever. Bashing AKC as a whole may not be what is intended so for people to not be offended being more specific may be a better aproach.
Hope you have fun with this stuff George, That is what any extra event other then hunting our dogs is all about. And I wish you luck if you give it a try.

FC, when I am referring to is the bullcrap rules the AKC imposes. Like a buddy of mine lost 1st place in an AKC all age, all breed trial. Because his dog did range far/big enough. I have seen and heard of many similar happenings. To me that is all bullcrap. Many field trailers around here have given up AKC and have gone to NSTRA because of these goofy knockdown rules.FC, Please note I said "To Me" you must like that type of stuff I don't......Bob

Last edited:
OK again as I said there is field trials for specific breeds. I am not aware of any ALL BREED Trials. I again would like to see clarification. As to what you are refering to, Pointers? Because there is no Such thing as a ALL BREED ESS event. There again is many breeds. I am asuming you must be again talking about a pointer trial? Or Pointing breeds. But using AKC again as generalization. If someone looks into a parent club, there are memberships to get involved if they want change. We have Several clubs accross the country, all elect deligates, we have a board of Governers, changes are made by the clubs voting. But We have no afiliation with any other breed, so for ESS AKC ( Licensed) FIELD TRIALS, there are no other breeds involved. And again you can't find a better test of a spaniels ability.
So Please inform us exactly what you are refering to, we might actualy find it interesting, instead of offensive.

I was speaking of pointing breeds........Bob

Thankyou, because I get confused when someone say's AKC field trials, and leaves it at that. I have heard of pointer trials on Horse back, and that confuses me as well. Are there AKC field trials for pointers that you walk for? I thought they were all horse back for FC AFC or whatever.

I'm sure all trials have pros and cons. People who like them and those that don't. I've found some of that reading about the NSTRA trials. One common complaint that I read was that the dogs are run in braces. Two dogs at a time in the same field. Thus if you have a very good dog and get paired with another very good dog and you split the birds in the field it's possible that neither will place. So your pairs can come down to the luck of the draw. I suppose it all equals out but I don't understand why they don't run each dog seperately. Regardless, if I can firm up Elle's retrieve I would still like to give it a try. It will give me something to do in the off season and also provide some extra dog training. I'd like to do it for the fun of it but knowing my competitive nature I probably won't be satisfied until I win something.

You are right, it is suposed to be fun. Advice I got from a guy was, shut up, have fun and run your dog. Did I listen? NO. Good luck George. But I am still wondering if they have ACK trials on foot? Not sure do you know? I would think that would leave allot of people out of the loop as far as being able to do it, if its all horse back.

I have seen more horseback trials with the AKC. Nstra the only ones allowed on a horse are the judges, does that help FC........Bob

Ken,

Not sure what you are talking about with "horseback". Are you referring to the AKC trials? No horseback in NSTRA.

Sure wish there was someone on this site that has run a dog in the NSTRA trials. I need a little insight before I show up at a trial. Suppose I should go and just view one prior to participating but there are so few in the area that isn't practical.

I've run dogs in a few Gun Dog Challenges but they are a totally different deal.

Zeb

I have just started running my dog in NSTRA here in Illinois.All the dogs I have watched and run against are very nice working dogs.It seems to me dogs need to have three main things to place-1st. and most important is bird finding ablity.Dog needs to find as many birds as possible in 30 minutes. 2nd. is ground coverage.The more ground a dog covers,the more birds it should find.3rd. is retrieves.Dog gets points for every retrieve it makes.Obedience and backs(only get 1) help your score but the dog with the most birds produced and retrieved usually places.The only people on horseback are the judges.They are alot of fun do do so give it a shot.

ROCK,

Thanks for the information on NSTRA. You follow the dogs and do the shooting, right? I suppose if you miss you are penalized since the dog can't get a retrieve?

How big are the fields and how heavy is the cover?

Any other information you can provide would be appreciated. How about a short description of the 30 minute run, etc.?

Zeb

Thats right Zeb, you or you can have a designated shooter shoot for you,follow your dog on foot.You are not penalized for missing and you can still send your dog for the retrieve if it marks it well,even though it was not shot.
Don't quote me but I believe the fields have to be at least 30 acres.and the cover varies with the different grounds used.
The first brace of the day has 6 quail planted with every brace afterwards getting 4(?).I'm new to this too!!I was told by some of the NSTRA guys I train with to cut the field in four squares,there should be a bird planted within each of those 4 parts.Most guys separate at the starting line and try and go in different directions trying to get to birds before the other does but usually end up crossing each other's path sometime during athe brace.Was also told to keep an eye one where your bracemate has hunted in case he missed a bird in one of the areas.Hope this helps,very new to the sport myself,only did three runs so far,went birdless my first time,went 3,3(points and retrieves) my 2nd. and 5,5 and a back my 3rd.

Also Jeb,if you get a chance to go to a judge's seminar, got to it.It will help you grasp some of the rules better as well as get an idea of what the judges look for in a dog

Back