NSTRA Midwest Finals in Waverly NE - June 2nd-5th

southernblues

Anyone else going? I've never been to NSTRA event, 128 dogs. Looks like fun.

Nolan Huffman has Rusty and another dog running along with others I've seen mentioned here. I've never been to the NSTRA events but really interested. Is there much of a gallery (not horseback)? Expectations??

Any else going?

http://www.nstra.org/owens.htm

Owens Products Mid-West National Championship Trial

[CLICK HERE FOR DRAW RESULTS]

The trial is to be held on June 2-5, 2010 at the Rock Creek Field Trial Association in Waverly, Nebraska. Entry fee will be $150 per entry. Entry deadline is April 30, 2010 with the first 128 qualified dogs guaranteed entry.

The number of dogs will be up to 128 with the qualifications as follows:

Participation in the National trials held in the year preceding the trial:
2009 Endurance, 2009 Dog of the Year, 2010 Grand National, 2010 Quail Invitational, 2010 Trial of Champions
2009 Purina Top Performance winner
Participation in the Regional Elimination trial held in the qualifying period May 1, 2009 through April 30, 2010.

The trial will be conducted as follows:
1st round â?? Beat your Brace Mate
2nd round â?? Top 16 scored
3rd and final round â?? Beat your Brace Mate

This trial is subject to the same rules and regulations as all other National Trials.

A pretrial will be held on May 29 â?? June 1 on the trial grounds in Waverly. There wonâ??t be any practice days due to this trial. SEND YOUR ENTRIES IN TO BILL DUBS IMMEDIATELY TO GET ENTERED IN THIS TRIAL.

If you have any questions contact Bill Dubs at 402-367-4244 or Mike Rost at 402-525-8334

They are now taking camper reservations.

Hotel Information:
Hampton Inn: 402-435-4600
Settle Inn: 402-435-8100
Quality Inn: 402-475-9541
Horizon Inn: 402-474-5252

I go when there is one here in Spokane. I enjoy watching the dog work. I really like to watch and pull for the dogs that have the same blood lines as my dog. Just a little something to help me get into the game........Bob

I was going to go and spend some time with the breeder I got my female Brittany from. He will be running her father in the event. His name is Steve Chang from Colorado and the dog is Brady (BBB's Lucky strike).

But I'm not going to make it as I just returned today from an Alaskan cruise.

I've run a few NSTRA trials this spring and really enjoyed them. In fact I'm running Elle 2 times tomorrow in a trial in North Dakota.

Good Luck on your trail in ND. I hope Elle does well...........Bob

Elle, didn't do well today. It was hot and windy and her conditioning isn't where it should be. She started running out of gas about half way through the run. She only had one find in each run but did have two nice backs. She's still learning the NSTRA field trial game.

This is the learning year, George, she will get the hang of it and come on strong.......Bob

I was at the NSTRA Mid-West Championships on Thursday. I went down to drop off my femaile Brittany, Elle, with her breeder, Steve Chang from Colorado. Steve is going to spend a month working with her to correct some retrieving issues and hopefully fine tune her for future NSTRA trials. Steve was running Elle's sire, Brady so I got to see him work. Steve called me today and said Brady advanced to the chapmionship round today and finished in 3rd place overall. Pretty good considering there were 128 of the best dogs in the mid-west entered. I can only hope Elle will be able to follow in her father's footsteps.

I thought my dog was in pretty good shape but after seeing Brady and some of the other dogs I see I really need to work on conditioning. Brady is all chisled, solid muscle. When you pet him it's like petting a cement block with hair. He ran hard for 30 minutes in humid 80 degree weather. All the dogs were in extremely good condition.

The trial was held on the grounds of the Rock Creek Field Trial Association in Waverly, NE. They really have a nice facility for these trials. You are able to view both fields from the gallery.

That is good news George, I was hoping to see Elle in the mix, but she still has to learn a lot. I will keep pulling for her and you. Are there any more trials for her this year?........Bob

Our region is thinking about having one this fall before the hunting season. I hope they do. Otherwise I would have to travel quite some distance to another region. The fall trial schedule just came out so I will have to look it over.

Let us know if they have any good ones for you and Elle George..............Bob

I was at the NSTRA Mid-West Championships on Thursday. I went down to drop off my femaile Brittany, Elle, with her breeder, Steve Chang from Colorado. Steve is going to spend a month working with her to correct some retrieving issues and hopefully fine tune her for future NSTRA trials. Steve was running Elle's sire, Brady so I got to see him work. Steve called me today and said Brady advanced to the chapmionship round today and finished in 3rd place overall. Pretty good considering there were 128 of the best dogs in the mid-west entered. I can only hope Elle will be able to follow in her father's footsteps.

I thought my dog was in pretty good shape but after seeing Brady and some of the other dogs I see I really need to work on conditioning. Brady is all chisled, solid muscle. When you pet him it's like petting a cement block with hair. He ran hard for 30 minutes in humid 80 degree weather. All the dogs were in extremely good condition.

The trial was held on the grounds of the Rock Creek Field Trial Association in Waverly, NE. They really have a nice facility for these trials. You are able to view both fields from the gallery.

Nice! Good to see the Britt's get a placement. I hear a female dog out of MI won it, don't know what the breed was. I was hoping to get up there and watch as Nolan's Huffman's dog "Rusty" was running. He's making himself known like his sire, Nolan's Last Bullet.

I've been getting my pup out every morning for last 2 weeks as it's getting extremely hot by noon. We covered 80 acres this AM in about an hr. He's wearin' me out....I'll be picking up a new female out of Deseeker Britts in NE in July. What am I getting myself into??

Hopefully NSTRA will be in our future too, someday.

I saw Nolan there but didn't get a chance to visit with him. Do you kow what Rusty's registered name is? Looking at the brace sheets it looks like Nolar ran 3 different Brittanys in Waverly. I'm waiting for the results of the trial to be posted someplace on the internet. I'll pass them along if I find them.

I found it George and SB it this one finished 3rd, It is called Rusty. Nolan Last Bullet is his sire. I hope this is one of the dogs you are looking for.

BEELINE BULLET'S OXIDATION
NOLAN HUFFMAN 733 POINTS 3rd Place

I found this on his record sheet

OWENS MID WEST CHAMPIONSHIP A/F OPEN WAVERLY, NE 6/2/2010 32 1 3 1,103
That means 32 dogs ran he took 1st with 3 runs winning score 1,103 Am I right there George

I also found this blues, it is a GSP

2010 Trial of Champions Winner
Crosswind Truckin' Fritz
Owned and Handled by
Scott Townsend
Michigan Region

Last edited:
I don't see any results posted on the NSTRA web site. All they have are the drawings for the braces for the first 2 days of competition. I'm hoping they get the final results posted sometime this week.

The results shown there are for the 4 day trial that took place in Waverly, NE over the Memorial Day weekend. This is not the Mid-West Championship Trial that was held June 2-5.

A/F and B/F stand for "A" field and "B" field. There are 2 fields that are being run at the same time. 16 braces (32 dogs) per field per day. There is a winner (plus 2nd & 3rd places) each day on each field. You can run the same dog on each field each day. But you can only run the same dog once on each field per day. Example: When I go to a 2 day trial I sign up to run my dog 4 times (that would be the max.) I run both fields A & B each day.

Clear as mud, right? Hope I explained it so you can understand. If not, I'll try again. :)

The results shown there are for the 4 day trial that took place in Waverly, NE over the Memorial Day weekend. This is not the Mid-West Championship Trial that was held June 2-5.

A/F and B/F stand for "A" field and "B" field. There are 2 fields that are being run at the same time. 16 braces (32 dogs) per field per day. There is a winner (plus 2nd & 3rd places) each day on each field. You can run the same dog on each field each day. But you can only run the same dog once on each field per day. Example: When I go to a 2 day trial I sign up to run my dog 4 times (that would be the max.) I run both fields A & B each day.

Clear as mud, right? Hope I explained it so you can understand. If not, I'll try again. :)

This was from June 2nd...

Trial Name:
OWENS MID WEST CHAMPIONSHIP A/F

Format:
OPEN

Trial Date:
6/2/2010

Number of Dogs:

Placements
Place

Registered Name
Owner Score

BEELINE BULLET'S OXIDATION NOLAN HUFFMAN 1103

BEELINE RELOADED NOLAN HUFFMAN 1045

TOMOKA'S CHILLIN ANGEL SANDY LUDOLPH 890

MOONSHINES POISON IVY MICHAEL ROST 884

Where are you seeing that? I can't find anything.

Anyway, the days 1 & 2, (June 2nd & 3rd) were the first round where you ran against your brace mate to advance. Overall score meant nothing as far as advancement. All you had to do was beat your brace mate.

Round 2 on June 4th they then had 64 dogs remaining. This round advancement was based on your score. The top 16 dogs advanced.

Round 3 was again "Beat your Brace Mate" with 8 dogs advancing to the finals.

Final Round was also beat your brace mate but I'm not sure how the placements were determined.

Back