Not going to do it...wouldn't be prudent!

JMc

Super Moderator
0 degrees, -15 wind chill, 3-6 inches of snow and no, I'm not canceling school. Might start late but not canceling. :eek:

LOL I remember going to school in weather just like that. If the roads are plowed we headed to school.

If we close or delay, we post on website, four TV stations in Amarillo, and send an auto-text to all parents who signed up for the FREE service...so quit calling my house...grrrr! Oh, I forgot, I'm on the pubic payroll!

Last edited:
OK...went with an hour delay to give my maintenance crew time to clear lots and sidewalks.

Real temps here at 7am -28 below. Nobody notices it. :confused:
But it is dry.:)

If and when it warms to zero, kids take off their caps and on go the Spring jackets.:eek:

Yup, and zero with freezing snot and stuff sticking to the roads and everywhere. IS worse then -20 and dry.
When it is very cold the snot and stuff sticks to nothing, just blows away like dust.
We are so glad we live up here in the tundra. :confused:

Side note. :eek: I refer to all forms of precipe in the Winter time as "SNOT":eek::(

OK...went with an hour delay to give my maintenance crew time to clear lots and sidewalks.

Way to go.:thumbsup: Now not only did you get to screw the kids, you got to screw the parents out of an hr of comp time too:D

0 degrees, -15 wind chill, 3-6 inches of snow and no, I'm not canceling school. Might start late but not canceling. :eek:

In this way, our jobs are similar. Can't make anyone happy! It's a cold and lonely place:)

When I went to school in Minnesota, 20 some years ago, I never remember school cancelled for cold! Lots of snow yes but cold never. I remember going to college classes in South Dakota when air temps were -20 to -40 for a week (there was no talk of classes being cancelled). No one had a car that would start unless you got up in the middle of the night and started it. :eek:

-54 near here last week (air temp not wild chill) :eek:

Spring?

The cold is never the problem but ice and snow is; especially when you put 1000 kids in big yellow dog school buses...everybody puckers up for a short time. Waiting an hour or two for daylight is not a bad deal and we still get counted as a full day. As most of you know, kids are a little lazy these days and they convince mom/day its too cold, too snowy, too for whatever reason to go to school. Those are the issues we fight most in inclement weather.

They do a lot of 2hr delayed reporting here when the weather rolls in. Gives the street crews a little bit longer to clear the roads before everyone has to get to school.

Back