Northwest Kansas Report.

Thrasher

Decided last night that I would load Molly in the truck and head out west this morning. Got out there right at sunup and hit a CRP field that looked pretty good. Hunted about half of it when 8 hens got up around 50 yards ahead of us. Molly got birdy a few times, with one close flushing hen. No roosters.

I drove to a place that I hunted quite often last year and that I have had good luck with. I walked it opening day and half of it had been hayed. We started walking an edge and after 15 minutes Molly locks up. A lot of things happened real fast. First a rooster flushes 40 yards on the other side of her. Then a hen flushes right in front of her. As I am watching that hen, two more take off 15-20 yards ahead. Then the roosters started launching. First one flushes, shot, bird down. Second rooster flushes about the time the first hit the ground. Shot, bird down. Molly has the first in her mouth and is coming back when the third rooster flushes on the other side of me. Shot and bird down.

IMG_2948_zps13db8f34.jpg

Three birds in 15 seconds. Never had that happen before. I thought we for sure we would limit today after that start. We hunted most of the rest of the day. Two more wild flushing roosters that got up out of range.

Molly went on point in short grass. I walked in from the front, all the way to her. No bird. Turned around and slowly worked the area out about 10 yards. No bird. Tried to release Molly, but she would not move. I walked back up to her and had a hen flush between my legs about 6 feet from her. She ended up pointing 4 hens today.

IMG_2943_zpsde709677.jpg

Molly on "Point".

Most of the birds were bunched up and the hens seemed to be sitting tight. Molly had a few points that came up dry. It was earlier in the day and I wonder if I just didn't work the area hard enough.

Molly and you had a fine day in the field.
She is a nice looking dog, how old?
That the grass height in the 2nd picture typical of what is out there this season?

Molly is two now. She improves every time we go out.

There were areas in the field where the grass was waist high. That was were we saw the large groups. Half of the hens pointed were in this short stuff along the edges.

Awesome day you had. I love those days when it all comes together. Molly is a great looking pup. :coolpics:.

Thanks for posting Thrasher. Great pics. Glad you had a good day. Molly is a fine looking dog.

Thanks

Thanks for posting this is as close as I will get to hunting this season as I am stuck in Afghanistan. I have a young pointing lab female and really look forward to hunting next season. Great story and great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Tom

Nice shootin' Thrash! Way to make the most of those opportunities. :10sign:

I've been finding a few quail in the snow, but not big enough coveys to shoot. Still, nothing better than hunting in the snow!

Thanks for the post and the pictures Thrasher. Where did you get your choco pointing lab?
POL

She is a Lab/Weim mix.

Back