North Kansas

carptom1

Had an appointment up north with a customer and figured I would throw the dog in the truck and hit a couple small spots a family member owns up north of topeka a half hr or so. He doesn’t bird hunt but doesn’t want it disturbed till after deer season. Usually good for a rooster or two if I’m lucky. In the 80’s and 90’s could scratch a limit at least a couple times along with some quail. Went to shit about 2005 or so. Haven’t seen any quail there since then. Well the dog and I hunted about two hours and it was pretty wet. Couple little food plots for the deer along with a couple weedy waterways and grass along a creek. Dog pointed three pheasants and two nice coveys of quail. Ended up with three quail and one pheasant which was the only rooster. She is really starting to figure it out. Being by myself I let her get out some and she held points well. Had one hen she had pointed at about 80 yards. I saw it flush before I got there but the cover was thick so I don’t know if she bumped it or not. Held these quail long enough for me to get up and fumble around with a picture. Two years old on Saturday.

Attachments

• 17215B23-AFCB-45B1-A57B-526C6E71AA00.jpeg
    17215B23-AFCB-45B1-A57B-526C6E71AA00.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
Had an appointment up north with a customer and figured I would throw the dog in the truck and hit a couple small spots a family member owns up north of topeka a half hr or so. He doesn’t bird hunt but doesn’t want it disturbed till after deer season. Usually good for a rooster or two if I’m lucky. In the 80’s and 90’s could scratch a limit at least a couple times along with some quail. Went to shit about 2005 or so. Haven’t seen any quail there since then. Well the dog and I hunted about two hours and it was pretty wet. Couple little food plots for the deer along with a couple weedy waterways and grass along a creek. Dog pointed three pheasants and two nice coveys of quail. Ended up with three quail and one pheasant which was the only rooster. She is really starting to figure it out. Being by myself I let her get out some and she held points well. Had one hen she had pointed at about 80 yards. I saw it flush before I got there but the cover was thick so I don’t know if she bumped it or not. Held these quail long enough for me to get up and fumble around with a picture. Two years old on Saturday.
Do you live in or around Topeka?

It's so cool to see them figuring it out. I'm sure you've posted the breed before, but is that a PP?

I used to have one of those low-effort, low-but-reliable-success spots. It was about 20 minutes from my house. I can still hunt it, but I don't These days it's "one covey if I'm lucky" rather than "most of the time two coveys". There was a small chunk of native grass waterway that's now gone and cotton has replaced milo in the crop rotation. Maybe I'll try it again someday and also be pleasantly surprised.

It's so cool to see them figuring it out. I'm sure you've posted the breed before, but is that a PP?

I used to have one of those low-effort, low-but-reliable-success spots. It was about 20 minutes from my house. I can still hunt it, but I don't These days it's "one covey if I'm lucky" rather than "most of the time two coveys". There was a small chunk of native grass waterway that's now gone and cotton has replaced milo in the crop rotation. Maybe I'll try it again someday and also be pleasantly surprised.
Yes she is a Pudelpointer just turned two. I decided that I would return to a pointer after thirty years of Labs. She is probably smarter than I am and seems to pick things up quickly. She was blowing through about half of her points back in early November, now she is sticking them for the most part. I am starting to let her stretch out a bit as I can trust her a little more. I am more than satisfied at this point. I don’t need perfection only give me a chance. I am probably going to go up and check out some of the walk in sometime in the next couple weeks as work is slow

I live between Basehor and Tonganoxie. I have sold home windows and Siding for 30+ years. I am in Topeka and North a couple times a week. I have some relatives up by Sabetha.
That is a beautiful area where you live. I get through there some when visiting family in KC

Good Day!! , Good looking dogs Gents. Hunted a little further north of there about a month ago. There were a few covies around.

Last edited:
Yes they look very similar for sure. Let me know the next time you’re in Kansas and maybe we could hook up. I would love to see another one. I have run into 3-4 but not too many.
I’ll be there at the end of the month.

Back