North eastern kansas

Campbell76

Im looki ng to scout some WIHA in the NE part of KS and wondering if anyone has idea how the ground and birds are up there? Ive hunted up there before but was in the mid 1990s. I usually hunt with my dad around Clay Center ks. Last year was the first year we didnt go out there instead we went to a hunting preserve . which was cheaper than driving out to Clay Center. Any help would be great. Hope to see some pheasants this year.

Im looki ng to scout some WIHA in the NE part of KS and wondering if anyone has idea how the ground and birds are up there? Ive hunted up there before but was in the mid 1990s. I usually hunt with my dad around Clay Center ks. Last year was the first year we didnt go out there instead we went to a hunting preserve . which was cheaper than driving out to Clay Center. Any help would be great. Hope to see some pheasants this year.

go back to the hunting preserve...

go back to the hunting preserve...

Plain and simple.

Campbell, I'm sure the cover/ground will be good, but you're not going to see many birds. We're planning to buy a couple hundred birds for the opener....you know it's bad when you're buying birds for the opener:eek:

I knew there were other forms about WIHA but I j just wanted to know about a certain area. Now about preserve hunting. Yea i know it will be cheaper by far but pen raised and wild birds fly totally different plus some of the time pen raised pheasants dont want to fly heck sometimes u can just pick them up. That's not hunting. I like wild pheasant hunting. I like waking up early go over to my dad's get in the truck sleep all the way there while he drives. Then when we get to the first 80 we get out of its a good year we usually see at least 20 to 30 all in one low spot in the field where the CRP is really tall. I usually shot one or 2 out of that field. Oh well hopefully we at least go out there this year.

I knew there were other forms about WIHA but I j just wanted to know about a certain area. Now about preserve hunting. Yea i know it will be cheaper by far but pen raised and wild birds fly totally different plus some of the time pen raised pheasants dont want to fly heck sometimes u can just pick them up. That's not hunting. I like wild pheasant hunting. I like waking up early go over to my dad's get in the truck sleep all the way there while he drives. Then when we get to the first 80 we get out of its a good year we usually see at least 20 to 30 all in one low spot in the field where the CRP is really tall. I usually shot one or 2 out of that field. Oh well hopefully we at least go out there this year.

this year you would be fortunate to see 20-30 during a 3 day hunt...pen raised birds have come a long way, most operators understand the need for good flight conditioned birds...you should be able to find a good operation, at least schedule a day for this.......

Plain and simple.

Campbell, I'm sure the cover/ground will be good, but you're not going to see many birds. We're planning to buy a couple hundred birds for the opener....you know it's bad when you're buying birds for the opener:eek:

I got good, or should say used to be good, private ground in SW Kansas that we hunt for the Opener. We too have thrown around the idea of buying birds Opening weekend this year. Not sure if I'd enjoy it or if it'd be too depressing. Last year it was so bad Opening day we left private ground to go hunt Walk-in in NW Kansas. Never thought I'd see the day!

I got good, or should say used to be good, private ground in SW Kansas that we hunt for the Opener. We too have thrown around the idea of buying birds Opening weekend this year. Not sure if I'd enjoy it or if it'd be too depressing. Last year it was so bad Opening day we left private ground to go hunt Walk-in in NW Kansas. Never thought I'd see the day!

might not be enough cover to even plant pen raised birds..:eek:

I hunted a couple of day up in the Clay Center areas last season.
You made a good move going to the preserve. There were a few birds but it took lots of miles and good dog work to put birds in the bag.

Maybe next season........

I get what a lot of the guys are telling you. It will be cheaper to go preserve. Then again, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to buy chicken at the grocery store. I don't hunt because I love the taste of pheasant or because I love killing them, although I do enjoy both of those things. I do it because of the whole experience. Just like you were talking about riding in the truck with your dad. I enjoy "going home", getting up to damn early, eating cherry fruit pies and Dr Pepper before the sun comes up, driving with my old high school buddy and talking about how good we used to have it when we could hunt everyday of the long christmas break except christmas morning. Most of all I love watching the dogs work. Can you do all those things going to a preserve? Probably, but I doubt it it will be the same.

I get what a lot of the guys are telling you. It will be cheaper to go preserve. Then again, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to buy chicken at the grocery store. I don't hunt because I love the taste of pheasant or because I love killing them, although I do enjoy both of those things. I do it because of the whole experience. Just like you were talking about riding in the truck with your dad. I enjoy "going home", getting up to damn early, eating cherry fruit pies and Dr Pepper before the sun comes up, driving with my old high school buddy and talking about how good we used to have it when we could hunt everyday of the long christmas break except christmas morning. Most of all I love watching the dogs work. Can you do all those things going to a preserve? Probably, but I doubt it it will be the same.

I agree. I was thinking of getting some birds in a couple weeks. If it was just for me I think I would pass. But I am going to do it because the dog seems to enjoy it, and I don't think he cares.:)

I hunted that area for doves this year. Spent 4 days out there with my dad and the dog. Did not see a single pheasant or quail. I walked two fields for the dog and no luck. I would think about heading elsewhere for pheasant.

I've got young sons and old grampa's in the group. The grampa's had a blast watching the boys having the time of their lives. I found that with those bought birds, I didn't have to be so angry about it being 80 degrees by 11am. With those bought birds, we never had to get more than a 1/2 mile from camp (no driving, no gas). We spent more time sitting on a tailgate talking and laughing than anything else.

I'd much rather hunt wild birds, and my boys and I will spend countless hours chasing wild birds this year, but on the one weekend of the season where the entire family comes together, we're going to buy a bunch of birds and watch the kids and dogs go nuts! I'll do some real pheasant hunting when it actually gets cold enough to walk all day.

I've got young sons and old grampa's in the group. The grampa's had a blast watching the boys having the time of their lives. I found that with those bought birds, I didn't have to be so angry about it being 80 degrees by 11am. With those bought birds, we never had to get more than a 1/2 mile from camp (no driving, no gas). We spent more time sitting on a tailgate talking and laughing than anything else.

I'd much rather hunt wild birds, and my boys and I will spend countless hours chasing wild birds this year, but on the one weekend of the season where the entire family comes together, we're going to buy a bunch of birds and watch the kids and dogs go nuts! I'll do some real pheasant hunting when it actually gets cold enough to walk all day.

I don't blame you at all for wanting to try and replicate a time when birds were plentiful on opening day. It would be hard to keep kids engaged walking all day and seeing nothing. I know I have been there. My oldest boy ( 22) has been on some hunts in kansas when the birds were plentiful. My younger son ( 16) has not. He has only been hunting since he was 14 and our trips to kansas have been filled with fun, and good food, but not many birds. It's easy for us adults to say wait till next year, or I just go for the experience, but the smiles are a little bigger when the vest has a couple roosters in it. Here's to better times:)

KB,

I have been using those birds from Caleb this year to work my dog and get them ready. Tremendous flying birds.

KB,

I have been using those birds from Caleb this year to work my dog and get them ready. Tremendous flying birds.

I've bought them from several breeders and I've never seen such consistent quality as I have from Caleb. In fact, ya gotta be careful where you release them b/c they just might end up on the neighbor's place! They don't just get up and fly in a circle like so many others do.

I'll get the pheasants from Topeka and the quail from Caleb. Again, thanks for leading me to that opportunity John!

Game Preserve

I know of a hunting preserve that is the cheapest around. They will remeber your name if you are a regular. They do sale birds as long as you dont bring them to the city lol. They are located in Bethany,Mo hour and a half from KC. Though they are on the small side compared to the bigger preserves. In my opinion the are the best and cheapest around. If anyone needs more info go to Hardinggamebirds.com . I try to go up there once or twice a year sometimes more. Just thought I would let everyone know about this great place to hunt.

I know of a hunting preserve that is the cheapest around. They will remeber your name if you are a regular. They do sale birds as long as you dont bring them to the city lol. They are located in Bethany,Mo hour and a half from KC. Though they are on the small side compared to the bigger preserves. In my opinion the are the best and cheapest around. If anyone needs more info go to Hardinggamebirds.com . I try to go up there once or twice a year sometimes more. Just thought I would let everyone know about this great place to hunt.

how much are the birds ? I would like to trey them

Hardings

I go up there in Feb and March cause I can't believe the seasons already over.

Nice folks running the place.

The video I posted in the GoPro thread was up there.

I've only used Chukars, Good flyers

Monday ? Friday days per group ? Package Rates

10 Pheasants for $140.00 ? additional pheasants $14.00 each

15 Chukars for $150.00 ? additional chukars $10.00 each

20 Quail for $150.00 ? additional quail $7.50

Carl

Info on Harding Gamebirds

Bird prices:

Monday-Friday
10 pheasants for $140- additional $14 each
15 chuckars for $150- additional $10 each
20 quail for $150 -additional $7.50 each

Weekends
12 pheasants for $180 -add $15 each
20 chuckars for $200- add $10 each
24 quail for $180- add $7.50 each

They are the cheapest around no per gun charge your field is yours all day or until your done. Once your done that field isn't used till the next day. It is one of the best places to go and teach young people how to hunt or train your dog. They don't like to let you hunt if it's extremely hot cuz of the dog over heating but they will let you hunt. There cover varies year to year depending on how much rain they get. They usually put birds in food plots unless the food plot are to knocked down for cover but that doesn't happen till later in the year into next. Trust me you go once you'll go again and again. I been going for 7 or 8 yrs now.:10sign:

Back