Non Toxic Gun Cleaner?

alexramsey11

My wife hates it when I clean the guns in the house, mainly because of the Hoppes Nitro Solvent I use. It stinks up the whole house, gives her a headache, etc. She is 6 months pregnant and therefor we are both feeling especially cautious about this kind of thing. While googling about using grease on guns I found some gun cleaning kits on this page: http://thebigdeer.com/the-best-gun-cleaning-kit-2017/

My question is, do you use something less toxic/offensive? If so, what? If not, how often do you use the nitro solvent? I have been using it after each range trip, and I'm thinking this is overkill. I've found that I can get my gun very clean by applying remoil and then removing it, for example.

I usually clean my guns in the garage so smell isn't a problem but my wife loves the smell of Hoppes No.9!!!

Not much help on nontoxic but there are a lot of cleaners that aren't all that strong smelling. Heck, some WD40 or CLP will clean most guns just fine and don't have a strong smell, and a quick wipe down with an oily rag finishes the job.

Using the Hoppes Nitro Solvent after each trip to the range isn't just overkill, it's way beyond overkill. I guess I should ask how many rounds you are shooting at the range as that could effect how often you clean your gun. You are talking about cleaning a shotgun, right?

My Wife is the same way Hoppe's. Best thing I have found is Rem Oil in the spray bottle. Doesn't bother her, 6 yr old or the pets.

Used CLP quite a bit in my IPSC days. More expensive, but I don't remember it being a strong smell..

Back