no till planters

SALLYSUE

I am just wondering if you guys had any experience with no till planters .I have to chisel plow than disk to get my field ready each year to plant sunflowers. I am thinking the no till planters would be the way to go .Thanks

I'm going to leap to a conclusion, and that is that you are planting sunflowers for dove attraction. If that is the case, the no till option would not be the best option. Dove feed on bare ground. Leaving residue via no till may make your plot unattractive to dove. Doing the conventional tillage and using herbicide to keep the grass out will provide that bare ground feeding platform that they seek. If this is for ag production, then, yes, it would work fine.

I am just trying to element time on the tractor . I have been looking at these planters that drop seeds as you plow and this would save a lot of tractor time.. When dove season get close I shred and rack up the stalks to have a clean ground for the doves

Sallysue, I would stay away from the all-in-one machines.

I plant 40 acres of sorghum and leave up all winter and in spring their is an incredible amount of litter to deal with. This year I am using a flail mower on them and it mulches it so good I think I can no till right into them with a regular old grain drill. Them I just spray/fertilize and forget.

Back