NickelCreek

Recon

Anybody know anything about Nickelcreek gun dogs/Kennel in Colorado. I am looking to send Chief to school while he is eager to learn. I have come to realize training a bird dog is not as easy as the books make it seem :). I would rather pay a little cash upfront and have it done right. I had a couple of people recommend some names on a previous thread. Well we went to one gentleman paid $80 so Chief could chase some birds not a whole lot for the money and he never returned my calls so I figured it was time to look else where for some help. Was headed to Gander Mountain today and ran into the owner of Nickelcreek but wanted to see if anyone on here knew anything about them before we go down.
Thanks Rich

What kind of Dog? What are you looking to achieve with your dog? Pointing dog?, Retriever?

I have not heard of them.

Retrievers Jeff Jordan, Julie Knutson, Cris Jobman

Pointing , Gary Buys, there is a good one in Wellington but cant think of them.

Kevin
KB Kennels

Last edited:
I have a GSP and these are the basic things I would like my pup to learn
Will Come on voice or Whistle command (Come)
Will do a field search staying with me (hunt-um-up)
Will point game and hold until the flush, or the gun goes off.
Will retrieve to hand (Come Here)
Will be shot over and will not be gun shy,
Will retrieve from land or water, (Fetch)
Will be started on Pheasant, Quail, Chucker
Will be Whistle green broke, or started.(Two short go, One long come)
Will be started on healing on a leash ( Heal)
Will be steady on game until the gun goes off, or game is flushes( Whow stay)
Will track wounded game. (Dead bird fetch)
Maybe I am asking to much but this is what I would like him to learn.

Rich, Chief is still pretty young. This takes some time. usually you see a huge difference from their first season hunting and their second season. A light just seems to come on. He is testing the boundries now. What is he 5 1/2 months now? Do the house training and maybe small amounts of whoa training on a table, but have fun. do not put too much pressure on him with the field stuff yet. Patience !!!!!! I looked Nickel Creek up, I have not heard of them. Who wouldn't return your call? You can P.M. me if you do not want to post their name.

Last edited:
Be paitent, my first GSP was 1 1/2 when I got him he had gone through training because the breeder ran field trails but he just wasn't working out so he gave him to me for free. He would point and retrieve but wasn't consistant. He finally came into his own when he was 3 and I wouldn't have sold him for anything. My new GSP is a little over a year old and he to is a slow learner but coming around and he came from a different breeder. But I believe a pro can help greatly. Good luck!

Back