New Vest

Yankee

Everyone, I'm asking for help trying to pick out a new vest, the one i currently have is an OLD "Field and Stream" brand vest my grandfather bought me 20 years ago. I was 12 then, and it fit pretty well! Now, not so much!...While I'm deployed I have a lot of sitting around "on call" time so i've been doing a ton of research. Even bought a vest/jacket combo, but have to return it cause what showed up at the house wasn't what the description described.

I bought a Browning Jacket that was supposed to have removable sleeves. This would have been ideal for me hunting South Louisiana, PA, and SD. Now this didn't have everything i was looking for but it was the best option I could find.

So I'm really looking for three criteria.
1. Jacket with removable sleeves.
2. Hydration compatibility.
3. Blaze orange (this sounds stupid, but a few i liked didn't have any orange)

Now, I know "If you don't eat your meat you can't have any pudding." So all three criteria may not be possible. Also what is the general consensus about the strap-style backpack looking vests? Those seem to be GREAT for warm weather, but how are they if you throw on several layer? Do they get uncomfortable at all?

I'm looking at a Quilomene (strap style), Browning, Redhead, Badlands (strap style), and a Cabela's Upland Pro (got marginal reviews)...Any insight/experience would be greatly appreciated.

Jake

I like my browning Bird-n-lite strap vest. It doesn't have a "hydration system" but does have 2 pockets to carry water bottles.

Saw some on ebay for around $100 w. free ship.

A do-all jacket...not sure that's the answer. Here are some ideas.

When it's 80 degrees, I have a simple light-weight game carrier, worn with a tee shirt. Hard to hunt without a very light carrier.

Next is the go-to shell/ game carrier vest. Wear this with a long sleeve shirt, light jacket, heavier jacket, up to the heaviest jacket I can comfortably mount the gun. This vest is the last item worn - the various (under) jackets are switched, depending on the temp.

Often I find the following works well: long u-wear top, hunt shirt, hvy.sweater and appropriate jacket - vest is last. This usually works with temps to 30...

I quit wearing hunting jackets over 30 years ago. I found having a good vest that you could put over various layers was a better option. If it's hot the vest over a t-shirt, if it's below zero the vest over layers of underwear, shirt, jacket, etc. works.

I use a WingWorks vest in warmer weather because it allows me to carry enough water for the dog. When it gets colder and I don't need to carry as much water I use a Cabelas Upland vest.

I quit wearing hunting jackets over 30 years ago. I found having a good vest that you could put over various layers was a better option. If it's hot the vest over a t-shirt, if it's below zero the vest over layers of underwear, shirt, jacket, etc. works.

I use a WingWorks vest in warmer weather because it allows me to carry enough water for the dog. When it gets colder and I don't need to carry as much water I use a Cabelas Upland vest.

Yep, what Zeb said works for me as well. Layer under a WingWorks vest.

George: amazing how the "old guys" think alike. Guess we've tried it all over the years and land on combinations that seem to work...

Here's one more vote for the WingWorks. I also have a Quilomene but the camel back tends to leak when you lean back on it if you try to get in the truck w/ it on. The Wingworks carries more water for dogs plus has that handy strap to carry clothes as you warm up walking.

Not cheap but I would have been way ahead if I'd got the W.W. instead of all the other vests & jackets I've bought but never use anymore.

Thank You

Guys thanks for the awesome responses! The WingsWorks vest looks awesome! I had never even heard of that company and none of my internet searches pulled them up either. I may be sporting one in a few months (hopefully).

Also i gotta say a bigh TY to the UPH forum as a whole...I belong to A LOT of hunting forums and i totally expected the "try the search function" response, or "here we go again." I did a search and wasn't 100% on the dot with what i was looking for hence my post and why i listed criteria i was interested in. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to type up a response!

Jake

PS, I'm on the far right, see what I mean, vest was getting a bit "snug" LOL!

The tall fellow on your far right appears to be a "layering" hunter. He sports a vest similar to mine and it appears to have multiple layers under.

Note: My vest is an extra large - to accommodate the layers/jackets. This setup seems to have the least amount of bulk at the shoulder, hence easier mounting.

Good luck with whatever you choose and welcome to the site.

Vest

Bought a Wingworks last year based on the guys from this site. It will be the last vest that I will need to buy.

Those WingWorks vest must be selling like crazy, they haven't had inventory other than a few odds and ends for a few months! Looks like they should be getting some stuff in here in a few weeks according to their website.

Back