New upland shotgun?

P.S.
As far a side by side or over under point . I need three shots. I walk too far between flushes not to have that 3rd shell Most of the time I'm so taken aback by that explosive flush of a big wild cackling rooster the first shot is an air ball, anyway.

I shot a 391 for a lot of years until I left it in my truck and someone busted out my window and took it from me. The front safety always bothered me a little bit, a couple of times after taking it off safety I got my finger in the trigger guard and touched off a round. I think it was as much a small trigger guard and gloved hands. Duck blind so not that big of deal but upland with a dog in front of me it could have different. The police ended up getting the gun back to me almost 2 years to the day and still shoot it occasionally mostly dove hunting.
I switched too a Benelli m2 and recently to a wood stocked franchise affinity. The franchi has a tactical bolt handle why they would put that on a wood stocked gun I have no idea. I had two or three misfires last year ., I’m sure I bumped and took it out of battery and am going to put a benneli bolt handle on it. I shoot a 12 7 lbs give or take doesn’t bother me If shooting 1 1/4 loads I’d just as soon run them through a 12

Beretta 391 and Outlander 300 cycle flawless. We shoot 5-10 flats each just on clays a year. Add in bird hunting....
I have both these guns, as does my brother in law. Bought the 391s back in 2003 for upland, added the 300s in the last few years for waterfowl. Zero complaints from either of us. Know of 10 other 391s bought in our family/friends group after they shot ours. I have heard of no complaints.

I’ve looked for a 20 gauge 391 at times, but the $1000+ price tag has made me wince when we paid $600 for our 12s. Inflation/supply/demand are all real.

I am a little late to the party, I see the post was late August. I hate a give you another option, but.
I have Benelli ultra light, Beretta A400 xplor, Beretta extreme and a Fabarml4s. I have to tell ya, the
Fabarm L4s is nice. It fits me well and weights 6 3/4 lbs.(approx.) depending on wood. If you read Randy Wakeman's review
he says its the best shotgun made in awhile. I just know I enjoy it and you can get several different models. I bought
a second one. Grey hunter, as I am an old man-over 60 HA!. I purchased the first one when they began to send them to
USA from Italy. I have no regrets. One can only shoot one at at time

Attachments

• 20191024_094422.jpg
    20191024_094422.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 4
Check out Fabarm L4s initial hunter, 3 different models, all excellent. From owner of 3 Browning's,1 Benelli,2 Beretta, and
now 2 Fabarm's. You can shoot steel through all chokes, even full. Randy Wakeman review of Fabarm Ls. Kind of off subject,
but Boss, Apex, and Federal you can still order some shells. Boss and Apex are TSS stuff. You can specials order from Federal
website. The TSS stuff is 3.50 to 4 bucks a shell and uppp. I guess if one only shoots a limit a birds not bad.

Thanks...I still haven't pulled the trigger on my gun buy so I will check out the FARBARM as I know little about them. At first glance online I was surprized to see they have a higher price tag than the Benelli's

If you look at The L4s initial hunter, I thinks its about 1300 bucks. A lot of money, but I tell ya, I would put it up to any
of my others. Really enjoy them all. If you were in Minnesota, I'd let you use one even. That's how positive I am. Ha

I prefer a 12 gauge over a 20. Your range is a bit longer with the 12. Last year I shot my 16 almost exclusievly because I had some many opportunities on birds on Iowa and SD. But usually my go to gun is a 12. Good luck finding the right gun for you.
The range is exactly the same you just have a few more pellets with 12.

OP.... I'm old. In 1970 I finally found the gun I have used continually for over 50 years. A sxs improved cylinder/modified, 3 inch, 20 ga AYA. I started looking after shootin a friend's L.C. Smith 20ga, which he inherited from his grandfather.

I couldn't afford an L C, but what I did find was a hunting life's companion.

Best wishes in your search.

The range is exactly the same you just have a few more pellets with 12.
20 more pallets with each 1/8 oz of lead number 5.
20 more pallets with each 1/8 oz of steel number 3.
The range of each pellet is the same.
Pattern density rules.
You can get better pattern density at longer ranges with the 12 gauge.

20 more pallets with each 1/8 oz of lead number 5.
20 more pallets with each 1/8 oz of steel number 3.
The range of each pellet is the same.
Pattern density rules.
You can get better pattern density at longer ranges with the 12 gauge.
You will get better pattern density at short distance as well but that doesn't change range.

Last edited:
I own two beretta auto's,390 and 391. Both are great guns, never have had any problems. I bought beretta because they fit me better. Either gun will be a good choice. good luck and good hunting

Pattern density establishes effective killing range.
Shotgun patterns run out of density before the pellets run out of penetration (range).
Number 5 lead pellet has 1.5 inch gel penetration at 50 yards (effective range).
7/8 oz (149 pellets) 20 gauge load, we'll run out of pattern density before it gets to 50 yards.
1 3/8 oz (234 pellets) 12 gauge load well up the pattern density quite a bit at 50 yards(but will still probably fall short on pattern density).
I know my English and writing skills suck, hopefully you guys reading this can understand my point.
If you want to get real dramatic. 11/16 Oz. 410 load of number 5 lead (117) pellets is really going to struggle with pattern density at 50 yards.
JMHO : Pattern density establishes effective killing range (given the pellet has enough penetration at that range).

I am looking to buy a new bird gun and have narrowed it down to either a Benelli Ethos or a Berreta A400 Uplander. This will be a gun to hunt wild roosters with but weight is a factor.
What are everybody's thoughts on 12 versus 20 gauge on wild pheasants and any experiences good or bad, with either of these brand shotguns
I have a 20ga and use Berreta A400 Uplander. No problems with it. It brings them down. That said my son in law does seem to get a few more at longer distances with his 12 ga and that makes sense. More lead in the air with a 12 than a 20 but I will keep my 20 and be happy with it.

Took my brother in law to gun shop that I try to stay away from, he ended getting a Ten Point Siege RS410 Crossbow, on the way out shop owner asks me weren't you looking for a Browning Hunter Over/Under I said why he picks one up and says I just got one in today. God I hope the wife didn't see me come home today. :whistle:

P.S.
As far a side by side or over under point . I need three shots. I walk too far between flushes not to have that 3rd shell Most of the time I'm so taken aback by that explosive flush of a big wild cackling rooster the first shot is an air ball, anyway.
I agree.I need a 5 shot gun, and my brother needs a 6 shot.

With my big fat hands, I can't shoot a shotgun without a top tang safety and straight stock. I don't need more than two shells per bird.

Last edited:
I have A Beretta 12 gauge A400 Xplorer and 20 gauge uplander. I’ve shot every brand of gun, never had one issue with the safety location, I’ve never had a cycling issue, when compared to the Benelli I give a slight nod to the A400, you should try and shoot both as neither one is cheap.

Back