New upland shotgun?

I was recently given a Winchester 101 Pigeon Grade 12 ga and I’m planning on taking it out to chase roaster for the first time in a few weeks. I’m just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the gun or what I should expect out of it?

I am looking to buy a new bird gun and have narrowed it down to either a Benelli Ethos or a Berreta A400 Uplander. This will be a gun to hunt wild roosters with but weight is a factor.
What are everybody's thoughts on 12 versus 20 gauge on wild pheasants and any experiences good or bad, with either of these brand
I am looking to buy a new bird gun and have narrowed it down to either a Benelli Ethos or a Berreta A400 Uplander. This will be a gun to hunt wild roosters with but weight is a factor.
What are everybody's thoughts on 12 versus 20 gauge on wild pheasants and any experiences good or bad, with either of these brand shotguns
But what you have confidence in. Both are great guns. There are several 20 gauge loads that have equivalent payloads as 12 gauge loads. The shot is packed into a taller but more narrow column than its 12 counterpart. Thus, choke selection may be different depending on game and conditions. I hunted with 12 for years and switched to 20 last year for upland and ducks. Absolutely zero deficiency. As long as you take the time to fit your gun and pattern your gun at various distances with chokes and loads you intend to hunt with, you’ll realize the 20 is totally capable. Not sure of its a big deal to you or not but one thought I’d that the safety on the benelli is at the back of the trigger guard and the beretta is at the front. One maybe more familiar depending on what you’re already used to using. Good luck!

I've used both the 12 and the 20 on pheasants but frankly my favorite gauge is the 16. My 2 favorite 16's are my (new version) A5 Browning and my Merkel 1620. Both are in the 6 lb. weight range and both shoot 1 1/8 ounce #5's or 6's nicely. If I had to choose and use only one shotgun for everything from doves to Geese, I'd pick a 12 gauge, probably the new version A5 with the DS chokes.

Just got one of those myself. I shot some clays with it a while ago and liked it. Very excited to try it on birds. I got the 28” barrel and the gun is quite long, but I think the length is going to counter the super light weight and keep it from feeling “whippy”.

20 over a 12 all day long! Lighter gun less fatigue means better shots. Beretta, Benelli, Franchi all make great guns.

I also prefer 12 gauge because the range is longer, and I can reach even the birds that are far away. Last year I got my BROWNING SILVER FIELD in 12 Gauge, and I have used it since. I like the design, and I think it’s the perfect gun for me in all regards.
Initially, I wasn’t sure what to choose, but thanks to a local Walker Outdoors shop owned by an old hunter, I managed to choose the right gun and get it for a good price. So, if you are looking for any shotgun or rifle, take a look at their website. Even if you cannot find what you need there, you might contact them, and chances are they will find it for you.

Last edited:
20 over a 12 all day long! Lighter gun less fatigue means better shots. Beretta, Benelli, Franchi all make great guns.
I love hunting with my 20 gauge and have really hunted exclusively with it the last 5 years. But other than being lightweight, the 20 gauge is inferior to a 12 gauge. The 12 gauge will result in less cripples and the ability to take longer shots. With the cripple factor being the most important aspect of an upland gun hunting pheasants.

Let's not get in to an "either-or" discussion about gauges, different strokes for different folks, or both for everybody.

:)

Have a great season and be safe.

Last edited:
Let's not get in to an "either-or" discussion about gauges, different strokes for different folks, or both for everybody.

:)

Have a great season and be safe.
I think it is very important to discuss the pro's and con's of all gauges. How else would new hunters learn? What is the purpose of the forum?

I own both a 12 and a 20 in benelli lite wt ' I have several other 12 and 20 ga guns. I find that for hunting wild birds anything the 20 can do the 12 can do better. The wt of the Benellis are virtually the same. Both around 51/2 lbs. both have been excellent and i would not buy anything else.

I own both a 12 and a 20 in benelli lite wt ' I have several other 12 and 20 ga guns. I find that for hunting wild birds anything the 20 can do the 12 can do better. The wt of the Benellis are virtually the same. Both around 51/2 lbs. both have been excellent and i would not buy anything else.
Agreed, they are making some lightweight 12's. I watched a video on pattering different gauges last week, and the smaller gauges pattern a little better. But the amount of shot the 12 throws can't be made up for. The recoil and lightweight of the 20's are sweet but for hunting pheasants the 12 reigns supreme. That doesn't mean that a 20 in the hands of the right marksman can't be deadly on pheasants. But you will need to limit your range and avoid ass shots.

I also prefer 12 gauge because the range is longer, and I can reach even the birds that are far away. Last year I got my BROWNING SILVER FIELD in 12 Gauge, and I have used it since. I like the design, and I think it’s the perfect gun for me in all regards.
I like to use a 12 guage in December.

"What honey? This old thing? I've had it for years...."
That's Funny. Thats like taking an empty gun case to a gun show. What dear? Oh, it just and old gun I've had for years. Never did like it. Thought I might sell or trade it for something. Come home- no, some guy offered me half of what it's worth. I'll just keep it before I do that. While I'm putting my new one in the safe- good boy, don't take less that it's worth. ;)

That's Funny. Thats like taking an empty gun case to a gun show. What dear? Oh, it just and old gun I've had for years. Never did like it. Thought I might sell or trade it for something. Come home- no, some guy offered me half of what it's worth. I'll just keep it before I do that. While I'm putting my new one in the safe- good boy, don't take less that it's worth. ;)
Now that’s funny. A few years ago I went through a period where I felt like I needed a new gun every few months. I would take an old case out to the truck and put the gun together out there then carry it back in. I got pretty creative getting rid of the boxes.

What are everybody's thoughts on 12 versus 20 gauge on wild pheasants and any experiences good or bad, with either of these brand shotguns
I have all the A5 Browning 12,16 &20, I also have a Rizzini 20ga o/u. They have all brought down their share of Roosters. The 12ga is now too heavy for me to carry in the fields and the 20ga (older version) I am able to walk a few fields with it before I notice my mounting is suffering.
So here comes the new A5 16ga. it is my go to gun. I was raised shooting 16ga so coming back to it was a dream.
I can tell you from my experience ( only my experience as others my have some of their own) that if the gun fits well and you have that muscle memory in your mount, all gauges will produce particularly behind good dogs. My next purchase is the 28ga o/u for quail etc. The 20ga Rizzini has produce alot of birds even late season. I had it as my go gun for the reasons on my older versions of the A5. Both the Rizzini and A5 16ga are below 6lbs.
My 2 cents
Safe Hunting

Back