new to the forum

charles

Hello, this is Charles form central Kentucky and I have just returned from a hunting trip in the great Bend area. I usually hunt this area in mid- November but hat to go in late December this year and it was not nearly as successfull. Have been hunting this area for some time, and am now looking for new hunting areas. Need some help in locating new areas to hunt. can anyone help out?

welcome charles.. i assume your talking great bend ks? there are tons of public and WIHA areas to hunt in ks, just go online and check out the hunting atlas.

Welcome to the boards Charles. You'd probably have better luck looking for suggestions by posting in the Kansas regional forum.

http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Your area is fine, there isn't a lack of birds - but rather a lack of moisture and cold weather. Kansas weather can be a pain in the ass, and really screw up hunting trips, especially for those of you that have to make long commutes in order to shoot birds. :D

Late season hunts can be even more successful than opening weekenders, you just have to "plan" accordingly. In other words, you have to be ready to go when a cold front sets in, and the snow hits the ground - unfortunately, we've had little of either so far this year. :(

Welcome to UPH, When you go hunting do hunt with a dog. If so what breed is it ans so forth?............Bob

Welcome to UPH, When you go hunting do hunt with a dog. If so what breed is it ans so forth?............Bob

I do hunt with dogs. I have a couple of llewellyn setters and a couple of german shorhairs. Last year we had very good luck in the Great Bend Kansas area, but this year we didn't do very well at all. Was very disappointing after driving all the way from central Kentucky.

Charles, Thank you for the reply. It warms my heart to see you are a Pointing dog hunter. I run Brittany's so you understand my love of pointers......Bob

welcome aboard Charles. I hunt with 2 Goldens so Im not going to help a pointer guy!:p I kid I kid, Ive run into similar situations after driving 12 hours to my destination. Very very frustrating. I wish I could offer some help in KS but Ive never been there. Best of luck to you and your crew!:thumbsup:

Charles, i am sure the dry, mild weather pattern didn't help........birds are not holding well at all, many of us are waiting on the first decent snowfall to get back out....the good news is the carry over should be significant!

Thanks for the reply, what area are you from and what area do you hunt in. what type of dogs do you use?

I hunt pretty much all of central Iowa. I live and work in Indianola and hunt down here on my days off, but travel to Northern Iowa quite frequently to hunt. I don't have any dogs yet, however, I'm seriously considering the Llewellyn setter as a dual purpose duck and pheasant dog.

Back