New to SD

-Wildcat-

Super Moderator
Hey all,

New to reading the SD atlas, and was wondering why there seems to be far less tracts in the SE quadrant of the state? I know in Kansas the eastern third of the state is out of the primary pheasant range, so there are fewer walk in tracts available. Any specific reason (reservations, etc?)? Thanks in advance.

Brian

the SE part of the state has very fertile, valuable farmland...and, more population centers which also increase land values...hard to convince people to put it into CRP (and then enroll in walk- in program), or, to put it into any type of set aside program...

the SE part of the state has very fertile, valuable farmland...and, more population centers which also increase land values...hard to convince people to put it into CRP (and then enroll in walk- in program), or, to put it into any type of set aside program...

what he means is there are damn few birds in the SE.

According to the game distribution maps, there are good numbers in the NW quadrant of aforementioned SE quadrant (if you follow). I'm just trying to cut down on driving time from eastern Kansas. Appreciate the responses.

According to the game distribution maps, there are good numbers in the NW quadrant of aforementioned SE quadrant (if you follow). I'm just trying to cut down on driving time from eastern Kansas. Appreciate the responses.

really, drive a bit further, anywhere north and west of Mitchell will be worth the effort....i mean if you are gonna drive that far, what's 2 more hours?

you are correct...the highest bird #'s in general will be found the further west and north that you travel, from chamberlain north....mitchell is better than sioux falls, etc, .... your atlas tells you what you need to know that way...the trick is finding public land in an area that has good bird #'s...huron north is a good starting point...leaning west....miller, redfield, gettsburg, etc...just throwing out general areas...I hunt around the mitchell and huron areas, only because i have land there and have invested lots of time there over the last 20 years, but lots of land has gone back to crops vs CRP over the past 10 years...hurts the birds big time...

Growing up in Sioux Falls like I have I would say don't bother anywhere within 30 miles of it. Not many birds to be had. Especially after opening weekend. A lot of guys hit these public lands after work as well. So not only are there less birds but seems to me that they also get more pressure. Kind of a lose lose. Drive an extra hour or two. It will be well worth your time.

Back