New to CO

byrd_hntr

Hello,

I just moved from Alaska to Colorado for work. I hunted ptarmigan and ruffed grouse in AK and I have also spent a fair amount of time chasing Chuckars around the lower 48. Im looking forward to learning about a new state and finding a few good spots to chase birds. I have a a GSP and a Griff that do pretty good for as little time as I am able to spend with them.

Any advice on getting started would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. There are good guys from Colorado here and they can give you some direction in that fine state.

Oh, how I would love to be in Alaska right now. Just off the phone with a gentleman that wanted to talk silver fishing in SE Alaska.

Where in Colorado are you?

Silvers

Yes, Silver Salmon fishing is the best. Headed back in late September to do just that.

I'm currently in Gunbarrel, and have just begun to explore. Man just finding a shooting range has been tough.

Welcome to the forum. Share your hunting stories and photos with us.

The mountains of northern Colorado are good for dusky grouse, kind of a stupid (but delicious) bird that behaves like a barnyard chicken in the wild. I have found good numbers in the mountains east of Steamboat. The habitat is vast so "road hunting" along forestry roads is a good technique to search for them. The CO wildlife authority claims there are chukars in the Book Cliffs. There are wild pheasants out on the high plains in the NE part of the state. All in all, CO is a fair state for upland bird hunting.

Last edited:
Colorado are good for dusky grouse, kind of a stupid (but delicious) bird that behaves like a barnyard chicken in the wild.

They can't be any worst than Alaskan Ptarmigan. There were times I didn't even have to shoot them in the late winter my dogs would just bring them back and I would let them go again.

Thanks for the tips, Im sure I have my leg work ahead of me but that's half the fun.

A few pics:

IMG_1038.jpg

My Griff Logan pointing some ducks.

DSC_1191.jpg

Another Logan

P9290084.JPG

Scooter pointing a Ptarmigan literately right at my feet.

Looks like some dogs that get down to business. There are ptarmigans up high in the CO mountains but kind of tough to find.

Last edited:
Welcome to Co! We've got good cockbirds here just hoping that this year is as good as the last several. NE corner of the state is best. Sedgewick, Phillips counties but you can find them in Weld and Morgan counties (and lots of others of course) which are closer, just more isolated pockets of them. Anyways, welcome to the site. Good looking critters you've got.

You might find some duskies straight west of Boulder.

Back