new to California from Colorado

elctrcking

ok so heres the deal, Just moved here from Colorado. Im an advid hunter and dont have a clue where to hunt birds. I used to hunt the northern plains of Colorado butmoved here due to no work in Colorado. Ive been a hunter for years and just looking for a place to watch my brittany do what she does well. Please help!!!! Looking for a place to hunt nd work my dog. Dont mind going out with a group, however not sure how reba will back. Shes never been a backer its usually just me and her. If you can help or have any sugestions please let me know. Thanks My name is Danny

elec,

First you have too let us all know where all your honey holes in Colorado are! Preferably grid coordinates.

On a more serious note, it would help if you would disclose where in California you are located, this would help in trying to get you a spot to hunt. CA is a pretty big State.

Thanks for the reply. Im in Bakersfield.As far as hunting in Colorado I just hunted the walk in access up aroung Holioke and Uma area. Allways do pretty good there. Very seldom did I not limit out two or three days in a row. Birds have been pretty thick the last few years. I have access to about 600 acres in Kansas as well but just wasnt able to get out there very often.

Welcome to Bakersfield. I imagine the oil industry brought you here. I am from MN originally now stuck in Bakersfield. Your best bet is too hunt for chukar and quail here. I also do field trials in the winter and spring with my springers. Your brits will be perfect for out here in quail country. I would get a Delorme map for Calif and some BLM maps for areas around Ridgecrest and Tembler mountain s by Taft. Another good suggestion is to sign up with Western birds a quarterly paper that also publishes locations of guzzlers in the desert. Do alot of scouting and get ready for alot of pepole on opener then it thins out pretty quick. My suggestion is too scout the Temblor Mountains for quail and the El Paso montains for chukar. Let me know how it goes. John

Last edited:
First off welcome to California. I agree with springerchasers advice, the tembler/ caliente range have some decent bird numbers usually. I hate to say but you're a long ways from a wild pheasant. The nearest I can think of is gonna be in Los Banos in the nwr.

Back