new pup coming!!

Its official!! My first bird dog was whelped on 9Feb! I'm WAY stoked! My wife and I are officially in full preparation mode! I had a couple questions. I could probably cold have looked up this information on any general dog rearing advise forum, but I wanted to hear from you guys as like minded individuals who have been there and done that. so here goes:

1. I believe it necessary to provide the pooch access to fresh water at all times. However, this will be the first pup I've raised while simultaneously raising my own offspring. I have a very active 18 month old son who will be like stink on poo with an open water dish on the floor. Have any of you found a product or something that helped in that regard?

2. To you seasoned bird dog owners: if you could go back and raise your first pup knowing what you know now, whats something that sticks out in your mind as something you'd do differently?

3. When is the nominal time you've found to introduce your pup to birds. What kind of birds do you use first?

I look forward to your responses!

We have our dog bowls up in the air about 20 inches. More so the Great Dane inside doesnt have to bow down to eat and drink. And we thought it was more child proof. You will find that there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING you can do to prevent accidents if you have a puppy and an 18 month old in the same vicinity. Especially when the kid is able to open the fridge. I have had to put the dog and the kid in the bathtub at the same time because they had so much ketchup on them that I couldn't let them move at all about the house. Kitchen looked like I gutted a deer in it. Good luck man, and just learn to tolerate some sh*!.

Congratulations!

1. Pup is going to need his own place, so he should have a porter box to retreat to. I would find a way to put his water in there away from junior and in a container that pup wouldn't spill too.

3. I often introduce pups to pigeons as 7-8 week olds. It needs to be a controlled situation so no bad things occur, but that's not too soon. I'd shackle the bird so it didn't scare pup. Boldness will come after about 12 weeks and you can let the bird be more free at that time after several controlled meetings. Quail would also work. I'd avoid bigger, brash birds like pheasants.

I totally agree with the above suggestions. I got a pup with a 2 yr old and there were not to many bad accidents from their interactions at least none that come to mind. The pup had her own space where she could find refuge. My son Also had his own crate he could retreat to as well.....just kidding. One of the first words I teach my pups is "ouch". They learn quickly what that means and helps with toddlers crying....lol. As drifter said I would gets the pup into birds as soon as possible and pigeons are a great way to start. Depending on where you live as spring summer comes around you can work your dog in the field on native birds if that is allowed. Here in Michigan I donator of training as the woodcock migrate back.

My pups usually spend the first couple of weeks with me at work, they stay in their crate and are watered at my schedule. I realize this may not be an option for you, but it does help with the crate training. I do this Mosley because my spring pups can't handle the cold spring weather we have in northern Michigan.

Back