New pheasant shotgun??

BUL 12 gauge...hands down. Iā€™ve shot montefeltro 12/20 for 25 years. The ultralight is what I grab when not shooting one of my double guns.

I have 5-16 gauge shotguns; all but 1 are Browning auto 5's. The new one is the Sweet 16 A5 which I used last fall and took to Illinois and Iowa. It weighs just shy of 6 lbs. You can carry it all day and still be ready for that magical last hour of light when that final chance at a rooster comes around. I shot 12 roosters and 26 ducks with that shotgun and it fits like a glove; didn't have to use any punishing 3-inch shells either.
Recoil is not bad and I use 1 ounce reloads of #9 for skeet. I'd recommend the Sweet 16.

I also have one of the new Browning A5 Sweet 16ā€™s. It carries like a 20 gauge, as was pointed out because of its light weight, but it hits like a 12 gauge. I love mine and it will be passed down to the next generation in my family.

Iā€™ve shot pheasants with my Sweet 16 in the Texas panhandle, Kansas, and South Dakota, as well as a few quail here in Texas. I also have a Benelli Montefeltro 20 gauge. I carried it in South Dakota a couple of years ago pheasant hunting, but I did use 3ā€ Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #5 shot. That little gun has really turned into my go to for quail hunting here in Texas.

I donā€™t think you could go wrong in picking either one for a gun that will last a lifetime and use to hunt multiple upland bird species.

Yea I donā€™t like the safety on beretta

the only negative thing I read about montefeltro is itā€™s to light and an issue if recoil sensitive

Yea I donā€™t like the safety on beretta

the only negative thing I read about montefeltro is itā€™s to light and an issue if recoil sensitive
Light gun, heavy load equals more recoil. It will always be that way.
If your pheasant hunting, shoot five or six rounds (or less) to kill three roosters. I don't think you'll notice the recoil in a hunting situation.
The last few years I've been carrying a lightweight 20 gauge, it has worked well for me and I'm recoil sensitive.
Good Luck!

Fadetoblack188,
Get your Monte yet? Just wondering if you had a chance to get it and run some shells through.

I have 5-16 gauge shotguns; all but 1 are Browning auto 5's. The new one is the Sweet 16 A5 which I used last fall and took to Illinois and Iowa. It weighs just shy of 6 lbs. You can carry it all day and still be ready for that magical last hour of light when that final chance at a rooster comes around. I shot 12 roosters and 26 ducks with that shotgun and it fits like a glove; didn't have to use any punishing 3-inch shells either.
Recoil is not bad and I use 1 ounce reloads of #9 for skeet. I'd recommend the Sweet 16.
I'd like to know where you get 16 ga 3" shells? 16 ga. guns are chambered for 2 3/4" shells and 3 inchers do not exist, to my knowledge.

The way I read it. He never claimed it's a 3-inch gun.

You are correct, 5 Stand. Of course none of my 16's are 3 "....that's the point of shooting a 16 gauge; the guns generally (but not always) are lighter to carry and the 2 3/4 inch 1 ounce to 1 1/8 ounce loads, usually Remington Express #4,#5 or #6 shells I use are very effective on upland game. For waterfowl I use either the Federal 15/16 ounce steel load of #2's, or Bismuth loads. I normally don't shoot at geese with the 16 ( I have a 12 gauge 3" A5 for that) and the above mentioned loads work well on ducks. I've used 16 gauges for over 15 years now and as all-around bird guns, they are hard to beat.

What's the weight on your 16s Wolf?

I second the 2.75 shells. My Maxus can shoot 3.5s but I pretty much shoot 2.75s. I've never missed a bird and thought to myself "I'd have had that one if only I was shooting 3 inch shells". I miss because I miss. Plus, ballistically a 2.75 typically is faster than a 3 inch shell if you're comparing apples to apples shell wise.

I will follow that up and say I would never use a gun regularly that couldn't shoot at least 3 inch shells. I use my Maxus for everything I hunt. Upland, waterfowl and turkey. So I need the option. Maybe one day I'll have dedicated guns for each, but until then...

What's the weight on your 16s Wolf?
Not speaking for Wolf here, but my 16's are roughly as follows:
Old style Auto5 Sweet 16 I believe is right at 8 lbs or maybe even a hair over. Really not all that sweet, but man I love that gun.
New A5 Sweet 16 is 5 lbs, 13 oz.
1929 Model 12 is right at 6 lbs.
20210118_204802.jpg

Munster--the Sweet A5 weighs 5 lbs. 14 oz. I have a Winchester Model 12 mod choke that weighs about 6.25 lbs. I also sometimes use a Merkel 1620 side by side that is an amazing bird gun, choked IC/mod and it weighs 6.2 lbs. When the weather's rough I leave that one at home. The two Belgian Sweet 16 auto-5's weight the most; haven't specifically weighed them. I really like the new Sweet 16 A5 because it's so light, fits me and when I need a 3rd shot, it's there. I've seen some complaints in re: the sharp radius of the pistol grip but that doesn't bother me, I don't even think about it. I've experienced no malfunctions with it in the field.

Back