New guy from Iowa

jbg1219

Hello all... thanks for having me. Just a little info about myself, I have been upland hunting in NW Iowa for as long as I can remember... Took several years "off" and only got out a few times while my boys were young and the bird numbers were dismal, but I have gotten back into it and hunted more this season than I ever have. Poking around this forum, I have noticed some screen names that are familiar to me from other forum sites, and as far as I can tell there are some pretty good dudes that hang around here too. My hobbies other than pheasant hunting include waterfowl hunting, and walleye fishing. I also travel to all my boys sporting events to watch and cheer, and occasionally will swing a golf club if the fish are not biting. I may not be the most knowledgeable about upland hunting, but I am an "expert" at it within 10 miles of my house. Been stomping around the same grass for over 30 years now. Ask me any question you want and I will try to be helpful. I only hope for the same when I ask.

Attachments

• 1000001272.jpg
    1000001272.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
Welcome aboard, an expert is someone that lives more than 50 miles from you. :) We have the same outdoor interests.

Welcome. Overall a good group here, for the most part. 🤣🤣. Used to hunt in that area then during those down years you mentioned started going to SD and that has been the destination since. We all like dog pics so feel free to share some more.

Welcome from NW Arkansas. My boy is from a kennel in Marshalltown, IA. Tell us more about your pup.

Attachments

• IMG_5490.jpeg
    IMG_5490.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
She is a 3 year old Golden Retriever I purchased from a friend as a pup. The father was/ is an excellent hunter, and the mother is an excellent pet. Took a chance on the pup being a good hunter and brought her home. First puppy I have had in 15, and my training her like she was a had headed lab did not work so well. She has come on strong here finally this season. Had the first limit over her with 3 flushes and 3 retrieves to the hand last week. Work today, then I will be hunting daily till January 2nd. I also have 5 days in SD left to use after the 10th (when Iowa Closes) and can hunt till the end of January in Nebraska. I anticipate at least 15 more outing for her this "season". Then back to training and hoping another pup this March or April. My father is going to be adding a very well bred pointing lab to the mix for next season and I have an uncle with a GSP that is a pretty impressive 4 year old dog. Talking about starting the upland season next fall a little early and going west for some grouse. Have to see what happens with the waterfowl migration. As we say in the family... it is the time of the year where you have to keep your gas tank full and your options open.

She is a 3 year old Golden Retriever I purchased from a friend as a pup. The father was/ is an excellent hunter, and the mother is an excellent pet. Took a chance on the pup being a good hunter and brought her home. First puppy I have had in 15, and my training her like she was a had headed lab did not work so well. She has come on strong here finally this season. Had the first limit over her with 3 flushes and 3 retrieves to the hand last week. Work today, then I will be hunting daily till January 2nd. I also have 5 days in SD left to use after the 10th (when Iowa Closes) and can hunt till the end of January in Nebraska. I anticipate at least 15 more outing for her this "season". Then back to training and hoping another pup this March or April. My father is going to be adding a very well bred pointing lab to the mix for next season and I have an uncle with a GSP that is a pretty impressive 4 year old dog. Talking about starting the upland season next fall a little early and going west for some grouse. Have to see what happens with the waterfowl migration. As we say in the family... it is the time of the year where you have to keep your gas tank full and your options open.
Very cool. My Whisky is a Pointing Lab and is such a joy to hunt over. I am planning a long weekend hunting trip to SD for the 11th to use up the last five days on my license as well. Her is hoping to great weather and lots of birds.

Welcome from Utah. Yours is the second hunting Golden Retriever that I've seen in my life. The first one is pretty incredible as an upland hunter and retriever. Her only problem currently is that she is an 80 pound dog and 8 years old. The weight and age are taking it's toll on her body. That said, if there is a crippled running rooster, she would be the dog that I would want on it's trail.

Back