New dog?

I had a brit and a yellow lab, both I trained myself and though neither would win any trials, they did what I needed them to do, find and retrieve birds. We hunted in SD, Kan, and on some preserves and my lab retrieved many, many doves and ducks here in AR. About two months ago I let my lab out to feed her and she disappeared, which she hardly ever did. I found her the next morning on a railroad track about a mile from the house, she had been ran over by a train. How or why she went that far I will never know.

I still have the brit but am thinking I want another dog. I have had labs all my life and I need a dog mainly for retrieval during dove hunting. I really like a brit with their temperament, intelligence and drive. My question - can a brit that does upland work also be trained as a retriever, mainly for dove hunting. Will I run into problems trying to do this? My buddy has a lab we use for ducks so that is not a real issue. Thanks for the input. Chuck

We ran Britts for many years but did not live in states that allowed dove hunting.
IF you can train yr dog to sit quietly in the blind, you should be able to make it work. Most of mine had too much GO to sit quietly for any lemgth of time when afield.

NB

We had clients who used Brits on our dove club in Georgia. Any obedient dog that retrieves well can make a good dove field dog. Once they get used to loose feathers, they will be fine. Best dove dogs we used on plantation were Boykin Spaniels. You might want to look into them. I know of a good upcoming litter in SC (boykin is state dog).

Agree with both you guys. I am not sure I want to try to get my current Brit to work that way, she is 4 and is high energy when she hits the ground and retrieving is not one of her strong points. I will probably wait and start with the next pup, whatever it might be, but it might be a brit. Not many Boykins in this area, but have thought about one of those.

An english cocker or springer will also make a fine retriever for the dove fields and will be much cheaper on feed to keep than a lab.

JP pulls retriever duty for 6 guns every September 1st.

15ff27ac.jpg

Don't know much about Springers, we are in a lab-dominated dog society in this area. Would they mix well hunting with a Brit on upland? Do they just flush or point for a bit and hold then flush? I would guess it would be much like hunting my yellow lab with a Brit. Yes, I can notice quite a difference in the food bill between the lab and I had and my brit, and I know a springer is about that size.

Thanks for all y'all's answers. Guess I could make my daughters happy and get one of each that have been mentioned.

Springers (and cockers) are hard flushing dogs but I think they could be trained to hunt effectively with a pointing dog since their ranges while hunting should be very different.

Pheasantplan, my condolences to you in losing your Labrador.

My EBs will retrieve hot birds and fur (rabbits and hares)...give them a cold bird to retrieve and there is no way they will oblige...there is no doubt of their scorn:D

Last edited:
I have seen many springers in the dove fields around here. If I was in your shoes I would get another lab. I just love that breed no matter how much they eat!

May be working the lab out. I had a litter of pups from my lab a year ago. My brother-in-law got one and he just does not have time to hunt this year. Looks like I may take her, finish her training, hunt her quite a bit and then at end of season let them have her back and by next year my brother-in-law should be more free to hunt with the dog and take my nephew who is now 9.

Go with the lab for what you want it to do. My lab retrieves whatever I shoot (phez, ducks, doves, quail, rabbits etc.) with no complaints.

Back