New Dog Advice

Schemy

After a lot of household discussion and debate, we have agreed that we will be looking for a new dog after the new year. I wanted to get a puppy, my wife thinks we'd be better off with an older dog. So naturally, we'll be looking for an older dog. I believe we would like to find a dog to adopt.

Want to see if I could get some advice finding a rescue dog that I could also gain a hunting companion. Any groups to stay away from?

We'd like a pointing breed. And honestly, I can't decide on a singular breed I want. At first I was thinking an English Setter. But honestly I think we'd be open to a pointer that we could make part of the family, and provide myself and my boys a hunting companion.

Thanks

I have no experience w/ rescue dogs. It might be difficult to just go to the Humane Society (or wherever) & find an adult, purebred hunting breed (if purebred is important to you). May have to look on the internet rescue sites for the specific breed & be willing to travel. Some places may require an interview & review time, leading to multiple trips. Maybe a purebred dog isn't important, in which case mixes might be easier to find.

Why does the wife prefer an adult dog? If it's because she isn't wild about the puppy stage, a setter might not be the dog for you. My opinion is that pointing breeds are in general a bit high-strung, particularly setters. I would think that the easiest to come by would be a lab or lab mix. Hard to beat as either a hunter or part of the family. At one point years ago, I considered a springer/lab mix. Thought maybe I'd luck out & get springer drive, lab retrieving, & at least partially the temperament of a lab. I'm sure I'd have gotten a mixture of all that, but in what ratios? Oh well......fun to think about. Hope you're successful in finding whatever you decide to look for. You probably need 2 or 3!!!

My $0.02

Please don't get a rescue!

Spare yourself a lot of grief and frustration. My experience with rescue dogs is that every one of them has been a FREAK. There's a reason why they are rescue dogs and most of the reasons have very negative results.

My daughters roommate came home with a rescue almost 2 years ago. It's still peeing when other people come in and it shits everywhere. It won't come near me, scared to death of men. Cowers and pees when you make eye contact. A sister had a rescue collie and it freaked whenever anyone came in the house. It didn't calm down until it was 13-14 years old. A cousin brought home a rescue golden retriever. While at work it tore apart the house, tipped over a china hutch, smashing heirloom china, smashed out the living room picture window to escape the house. Thousands of dollars worth of damage. They had to put it down.

One of my brothers picked up an English Setter from the humane society years ago. It was a little, 35 lb. thing wound tighter than tight. They called it "Wheels" and it's wheels never stopped turning. Litterally bounced off the walls in the house. It was also gunshy and so useless as a bird dog. Same brother got talked into getting a Golden Retriever by his wife and daughters. Close a cabinet door, or make the least little noise and it runs into the bedroom and hides under the bed. Turn around suddenly and it scampers away and hides. My setter wants to play with it and it screams and howls like it's being killed. And forget taking it near a gun. He agreed to get the mutt because he figured he could take it hunting. The dog is a freak.

Having said that, I've had setters all my 58 year old life. Have pictures of me crawling all over the dog as a baby. Have pictures of my own kids crawling all over the dog as babies. We've always had Ryman/Hemlock type setters. Good foot shooting dogs and excellent family companions. I prefer picking out a puppy that can observe, calculate, then act on his own. They've all been able to figure out how to handle birds after I've given them the basic obedience training.

Getting an older dog, you've missed the most important time for bonding with the dog. Sure, house training a puppy is a pain. But anything worthwhile is worth working for. My dogs have always been very attached because I spent a lot of time with them from 7-8 weeks on.

Last edited:
The rescue route comes with inherent challenges, but there are success stories. Several years ago I had a dog get out of the yard and he was picked up by the dog police. When I went to bail him out he was kenneled next to a scrawny white and lemon ticked pointer that wasn't long for this world. Took them both home. She knew what to do when I turned her loose. Gave her to a friend that hunted her and gave her a good home for 6 years.

All the breed clubs have rescue organizations. Makes me blue to look at their websites.

Best of luck.

Here are three rescue dogs that over the last 10 years have pointed, retrieved and hunted thousands of birds from pheasant to quail. Describing them as "FREAKS" is a little harsh as I believe any pure bred hunter is only as good as his master. My son sells GSP's and Labs for thousands and these three can run with the best of them. Good luck with your search.

If you want to go the rescue route, take a wing with you and see if the dog is birdie. Again, good luck and have fun with your new partner.

Mick, a Field bred Springer, came to me at 5-6 years of age from the American Britanny Rescue Association. I found him on their on-line listing, with pictures and what history they had. His tail was not docked, dew claws still attached, and he was so ragged that they shaved him to the skin. They neutered him and put him in a foster home. They had a volunteer visit my house and answer questions and see my GWP before they would let me go visit Mick. He'd been picked up as a stray somewhere in Southern Illinois, put in the pound, which called ABR. He showed no signs of having hunted and needed refresher house-breaking, but with patience and repetition, he came along fine. I love him and now regard the breed as a near-ideal bird dog.

I think general statements can only be generally true. Each pup of whatever breed is an individual, and some folks maybe aren't well-suited to take in a rescue.

It's been a great seven years

My Brittany is a rescue I got when he was nine months old; he's now 10 years old and dandy afield. Fortunately, his foster master was a Brittany field trialist who had live chukars and lived in the country. The master had spent three days with the dog when I showed up and opined that he was not soft. Best of all, I had an opportunity to test him with live chukars and he passed with flying colors. I looked at two other rescues a few days before. One had been injured or had a spinal defect and one did not want to get out of the vehicle or go afield at the bird ranch we took him to despite penfuls of quail and pheasants, and he turned his head away from a quail in my hand rather than grabbing it like a normal bird dog. Abused perhaps?

If I were you I would ask the foster master about getting the dog out somewhere where you can touch off a few rounds, or maybe take him to a bird ranch with live birds. Bird dogs who are surrendered to pounds or rescue organizations may be gun shy or otherwise not suitable afield.

Last edited:
You need to be very real with yourself. Getting a dog is all about risk.

A purebred, from good lines, comes with the least amount of risk. The dog will most likely hunt, and (if you picked good blood) be a great companion animal.

A rescue, no matter the breed, will have more inherent risk. The dog might hunt, or just as likely might not.

FWIW, I have one rescue ( GSD/mix) and one purebreed. Comparing the two isn't even fair. They are both wonderful companion animals, but the Draht is such a better hunter.

Rescue

Had to post a quick response. Picked up a sort of rescue a few years ago. She was afraid of everything, including guns and birds. Around 9 months when we got her. LOTS of issues to overcome the first year. I have access to land we can hunt 9 months out of the year, so that really helps with training. We had to really take it slow. Then start over again at one point and build from scratch. It has worked out great. She's now 5 and as good as any dog I have ever had. Stays close, listens, good nose, retrieves well. If you really want a hunter, you may have to be fairly picky. Don't be afraid to hold out for a good match.

You got a wide variety of good advice, so I'll just stir the pot... :laugh:

Get what YOU want. Is it fair to say that your wife would prefer an older dog because she honestly doesn't want a dog, period? She figures an older dog will be less intrusive, less effort, less hassle for her?

You have up to a 15 year commitment of time, food, vet bills, etc. You'll be caring for the dog daily, probably just you alone will be responsible for the feeding, training, exercise, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't compromise on a bird dog, especially to accommodate someone who doesn't hunt and doesn't understand hunting dogs, or why you would want one dog versus another.

All that said, I have two dogs that I got as "started" field trail washouts. Both were my choice. Both have great natural ability and do a nice job for me in the field. With a better trainer, they would probably be top notch brag dogs for about anybody. Getting slightly older dogs was my choice at the time. Next time might be a puppy, might not...

Anyway, you can have success with an older dog, but if you would prefer a puppy, you should get one. A dog is way too big of a commitment to get one you don't want 100%.

All thank you very much for the advice. I'm going to be picky and find the right situation. And when I say an older dog, I probably just should have clarified that she would prefer not to have an 8 wk old pup in the house. And I agree with that as well. I'm no dog trainer, so a started dog makes sense.

I'm going to keep an out on the rescue site and various forums and facebook groups I follow. See if any started dogs come up that would be a good fit. I'd like to have a dog to hunt with by next fall, and hopefully it works out.

I'm not new to hunting breed ownership, we have a 14 yr old chocolate lab that had he been trained by a competent trainer (someone other than me) I have no doubt he would have been an excellent bird dog. He did well with the limited knowledge I had and all the mistakes I made with him.

Thanks again. And if you see/know of any good dogs available, I may be interested.

Last edited:
You need to be very real with yourself. Getting a dog is all about risk.

A purebred, from good lines, comes with the least amount of risk. The dog will most likely hunt, and (if you picked good blood) be a great companion animal.

A rescue, no matter the breed, will have more inherent risk. The dog might hunt, or just as likely might not.

FWIW, I have one rescue ( GSD/mix) and one purebreed. Comparing the two isn't even fair. They are both wonderful companion animals, but the Draht is such a better hunter.

bingo, along with the health background, you just dont know with a rescue. if you are a serious bird hunter i would lean towards a reputable breeder, you could try talking her into a started dog from the breed of your choice.

thats a good point, if you are in no rush, and keep your eyes peeled, you'll find a dog that has a hunting background. there have been a few instances i've come across over the years that was very tempting to try to add to our family but it was not in the cards right now (eg. family figured out they had no time for the dog so they want the dog to go to a good family)

Last edited:
I have a Lab/Vizsla mix that is a great family and Hunting dog. She is now 11 months old and I just started training her recently and happily she is already hunting with me and pointing pheasants naturally. I feel with another off season of training she will be the best hunting partner I have ever had.

From your posts I'm assuming you want a dog that will live in the house? You didn't say if you have a preference between a male or female. If you want a pointing dog that will be part of the family you can't go wrong with a Brittany. In a couple of weeks I will be picking up a 6 month old female Brittany. Sounds like that would be a good route for you. Good luck.

I have two rescues. My brother has done the same. All pretty satisfied with. However, now is a difficult time to pick up a rescue. Hunting is much better over a large swath of the heartland. Dogs are at a premium. If I have an opportunity to pick up a dog, I would do that as I am looking for two new dogs next year. One will be a pup.

This particular year you might be better off with a pup. A female britt pup is simple to train.

Back