New CRP Planting

I am replanting 67 acres of crp in the cp4d containing 46 acres of short grass prairie, 6.5 acres in pollinator, 6 acres of switchgrass, 5 acres in firebreak and a few acres in food plots. I have heard about winter seeding before freeze up and would like to hear of personal experience, succes or failure, before decision is made.

Will the FSA office let you winter seed? In Union County SD they will not let you winter seed.

new planting

Yes they will. I am in Van Buren county Iowa

Really. Why did you have to replant. Praire Drifter is the one who is best at this type of thing.

There are a lot of things to consider in your planting dates. First, how susceptible are the seeds in your mix to the elements and the various critters that might consume them. If you're depending on a high content of soft seeds like Maximillian Sunflower, you may be better off waiting until post thaw. If your soil conditions or site happen to not be well drained and tends to be impassible in the spring, maybe the post dormancy/prefrost planting makes sense. I've had success with both using NWSG and hard-seeded forbs. Either way, I wouldn't push the early side of the planting window. You don't want the seeds to germinate before spring as they may freeze, frost heave, or desicate before establishing a good root system. If you're using a grass drill (banded disks), you should have excellent seed depth control. If there is a chance that much of your seed might be top seeded, you will want to make sure that your cover crop is adequate that your see doesn't blow away during a dry winter. The NRCS boys will be able to answer many of these questions pertinent to your site and the conditions it presents. Don't be afraid to involve an upland biologist or PF biologist to tailor your seed mix for the species you want it to favor. Having the variety of cover plantings you are planning, you may find you can really target some species with the main planting to improve the benefits of the others.

Thanks, meeting with a guy this weekend to discuss options, definitely using seed drill on cp 2 short prairie mix and switchgrass. NRCS office is very flexible with me, only one in county going above the minimum requirements(so I'm told). I want to do it right the first time

thanks

Best time to plant yard grass is in the fall, and studies are showing new bread of winter wheat is producing very good yields. So depends on grass but results can be as good if not better.

Cool wet weather in fall is what makes it a great time to plant.

Deacon, most yard grasses are cool-season grasses. He is planting warm season grasses. Cool-season grasses are reasonable to plant in the fall. NWSG's need to wait at least until post-frost. Yard grass plantings of buffalo grass are best done in late spring while moisture still is good but soil temperatures are higher.

Back