New agriculture secretary

McFarmer

If we can keep the discussion on track, the new secretary of Ag will have a big impact on habitat programs.

As a farmer who has land enrolled in CRP I would like to see the program continued. Industrial agriculture however I'm sure would like to see it reduced. Many farmers would also like to see the program discontinued, especially the younger ones and those who rent a large portion of their land.

Crop insurance subsidies would also seem to be a place to cut. And yes, the ethanol mandate might go away. Wind energy subsidies might also be at risk.

If our new administration is going to be able to show progress in cutting government spending and mandates agriculture would seem to be a place where some might happen.

Whom is picked to head the program will determine the direction. Anyone you folks would like to see nominated ? Many times it is a farm state governor or senator. It would have to be from a safe state so as to not allow a democrat to take their place.

I also heard Sara Palin as interior secretary.

If they cut the ethanol subsidy that would go along way to restoring habitat, but not right away. It will take time but the more we can get the government out of trying to central plan the ag markets the better it will be for everyone and everything in the long run.

The ethanol subsidies cause farmer to over plant corn and keep corn prices artificially high. That means trying to farm every square inch of land to maximize profits.

Get rid of the artificial demand means prices will drop and those marginal pieces of ground go from profitable to farm to a loss. What I would expect is that initially farmers will try to overcome the lower prices by planting more then will lose money and decide they have better uses, or no uses for that more marginal ground.

Hopefully we will see more of it go back to habitat for game and other species. There is no reason to farm to creek/ditch edges, drain and tile wetland/low areas etc other than to feed the false demand created by government ethanol mandates.

Ethanol uses nearly a third of our corn, that's a lot of creek banks.

It's not a one to one comparison, the ethanol by-products are also used for feed.

I understand folks having a problem with ethanol, I'm not a huge supporter myself, but without it there would be a whole lot of hurt for quite some time.

And, you still need an oxygenator or whatever it is, unless you cut back the clean air standards.

Kristi Noem, ranch girl from birth.

Kristi Lynn Arnold was born to Ron and Corinne Bergan Arnold in Watertown, South Dakota and raised with her three siblings on the family ranch and farm in rural Hamlin County.[3] Growing up, she participated in rodeo queen events, learning horsemanship and interview skills.[4] She graduated from Hamlin High School in 1990, and won the South Dakota Snow Queen title, which required that she enroll in a state university and promote the state during her reign.[3] She credited the experience with helping her polish her public speaking and promotional skills.[4] After high school, she enrolled at Northern State University. She married Bryon Noem at the age of 20, then left college at age 22 to help run her family's ranch after her father was killed in a farm machinery accident.[3][5]

Noem has said that upon her father's 1994 death she and her family members decided to take out a loan to pay taxes owing on the estate, noting that "for 10 years that loan really impacted our ability to make a profit".[6] The property, of which Noem's family owns a non-controlling partnership in, has also received $3,058,152 in USDA farm subsidies from 1995 through 2009.[7] Over the years, Noem added a hunting lodge and restaurant to the property, and all of her siblings have moved back to assist in expanding the businesses.[3]

After her early marriage, Noem stopped attending college full-time but, over the years, took classes at the Watertown campus of Mount Marty College, and South Dakota State University.[3][4] After being elected to Congress, she continued her education, taking online courses and receiving credits for her work as a representative ? leading the Washington Post to dub her Capitol Hill's "Most Powerful Intern."[8] She earned a degree in political science from South Dakota State in May 2012.[9]

And she still fills out a pair of Wranglers in fine style, too!

Sounds like she has several things going for her Donald would be interested in.

Doesn't sound like she would be much in favor of cutting government subsidies however.

Sounds like she has several things going for her Donald would be interested in.

Doesn't sound like she would be much in favor of cutting government subsidies however.

I think if she was convinced that losing the subsidies was good for all, she could move in that direction. If I get a chance, I will ask her directly. The Donald wouldn't want to grab any private part of Kristi, he'd not only have a boot up his ass, but a long, sexy leg, as well.

I really don't blame anyone for taking what the government gives, until they tell us to stay the hell out after we wrote the check.

When there is over production, price goes down, possibly triggering LDP's.

I personally would prefer more acres in CRP, thus reducing producing acres and hopefully the market will stay higher and, therefore, no money spent on LDP's.

If they cut the ethanol subsidy that would go along way to restoring habitat, but not right away. It will take time but the more we can get the government out of trying to central plan the ag markets the better it will be for everyone and everything in the long run.

The ethanol subsidies cause farmer to over plant corn and keep corn prices artificially high. That means trying to farm every square inch of land to maximize profits.

Get rid of the artificial demand means prices will drop and those marginal pieces of ground go from profitable to farm to a loss. What I would expect is that initially farmers will try to overcome the lower prices by planting more then will lose money and decide they have better uses, or no uses for that more marginal ground.

Hopefully we will see more of it go back to habitat for game and other species. There is no reason to farm to creek/ditch edges, drain and tile wetland/low areas etc other than to feed the false demand created by government ethanol mandates.

Just sold a load of corn at 2.76 a bushel. So the artificial inflation of corn price hurts my head. The problem is loss of habitat means loss of hunting opportunities. How does the government or hunters motivate land owners to increase habitat? Sdviking

Just sold a load of corn at 2.76 a bushel. So the artificial inflation of corn price hurts my head. The problem is loss of habitat means loss of hunting opportunities. How does the government or hunters motivate land owners to increase habitat? Sdviking

I suspect that in either case it will take some kind of incentive. In CRP it takes a rental payment in addition to other advantages to get acres enrolled. For those that do hunting as a business it takes people willing to fund habitat instead of the government funding habitat.

Without ethanol what would it be ? 'Course, we wouldn't have planted so many acres. No easy answers, never have been.

I see CRP being reduced in the next ag bill, 2019 is the next I think. I see ethanol mandates being reduced before that.

Could be wrong of course.

I'd keep an eye on Iowa Gov Branstad. He's looking to hand over reins to his Lt Gov without an election imho, and he's played the game. As far as cutting subsidies and keeping CRP types, he's run a balance for awhile now.

I'd keep an eye on Iowa Gov Branstad. He's looking to hand over reins to his Lt Gov without an election imho, and he's played the game. As far as cutting subsidies and keeping CRP types, he's run a balance for awhile now.

And his son was Trump's Iowa campaign head.

I don't know, Gov Branstad is getting up there in age and I wonder about his health. Last time I saw him on the news he didn't look like he was up to snuff..Maybe it was the camera angle.......

True- he was looking real shaky but has been better of late (meds?). Didn't realize the kid was part of the campaign, been a lot of talk of Chinese Ambassador also...

Back