New addition

DIRKNPHEZ

Hey guys I know im not an avid thread participant. But I'm just too excited and had to share. I picked up my second GSP this weekend. She is solid liver and 12 weeks of age. I have a five year old boy now and they have gotten along fantastic so far. My five year old dirk was my first bird dog. I would love any advice any of you fine gentleman have on things to expect/avoid. Im not the brightest Crayola in the box so if there is anyone that can help me understand how to read my bloodlines that would be awesome. As soon as I figure out how to I will upload a picture. Thanks for your time and have a good day!!
joe

Congratson your new pup--I know what you mean as my first hunting dog puppy shows up here on labor day weekend--hope she is a good trainer :D

12 weeks old, 10 weeks out from the start of the season. All I would do is teach recall, get her gun conditioned and hunt her as much as possible this season with zero expectations - make everything fun. Oh and if she points a bird, kill it.

All I would do is teach recall, get her gun conditioned and hunt her as much as possible this season with zero expectations - make everything fun. Oh and if she points a bird, kill it.

That's a good plan for the lifetime of the dog... Anything beyond this is just being fancy. :D

Thanks for the kind words and well wishes. So far she has been a sweetheart and her and my five year old are becoming best friends. I am just looking for her to have fun and be a puppy for the next month or two before I get too involved. Will have to wait til around six months before I start to shoot over her. I don't want to rush anything. I have been thinking maybe i shoudnt hunt her until december. We will see how she transitions and go from there.

alone and partner up

I agree and disagree. You do need to hunt the young dog by itself but not till it has a clue as to what is going on. I have Two older dogs that I train pups behind. It helps teach gate, distance, and they follow the other dog into the cover you like. As soon as my puppy points for the first time or starts to back and honor the other dogs, u need to start taking it by itself. otherwise it will always rely on the other dogs to find the birds. Once it hunts good by itself you can put it down with as many as u want. All my opinion

Back