Nesting Hen Pheasant

1pheas4

Some of you may find this interesting. Below is a video with a nesting hen in someone's back yard. It's a good example as to how well hen pheasants blend in. This video is a good example of that.

http://youtu.be/ZgrVrfQ4kKg

The second video shows her with her chicks hatched out. Unfortunately the crows seemed to have there way with the chicks (according to the maker of the video/video description). Nevertheless it's nice to see a hen pheasant with her chicks (while they lasted:()

http://youtu.be/n1E1BDkVrb4

pretty cool. Dang crows are as bad as 4 legged varmints! That from around here?

No, I believe the video is from the UK.:)

Your right, crows are just as bad. We have the same (crow) problem here in the U.S. Crows love to eat chicks of all kinds. I've seen crows rip through a section of row pines (you know the area/Veterans acres in C.L.) raiding song bird nests. They destroyed all the nests, eggs, chicks with one quick run.

Also, I have a book on Japanese green pheasants in Japan. The book contains photos of crows eating pheasant chicks there too.

I think it's time to start hunting crows;)

uCrows are nasty birds they'll raid a nest of eggs or kill the chicks by pecking their eyes out and eating only the brain. I lost 12 guinea keets to them last year. People in the know around here (biologists) seem to think more nest deperdation is committed by crows and ground squirrels than by all other predators combined.:mad:

Another set of great wild pheasant videos, 1pheas4. Keep them coming.

I would love to see a video of wild American pheasant chicks out with the hen catching insects, that would be cool.

I would love to see a video of wild American pheasant chicks out with the hen catching insects, that would be cool.

I was looking. No luck yet. Our wild birds don't seem to bring chicks out into the open as long as this hen did in the UK. It may be a bit more difficult to get such video in the U.S. --at least with our wild stock.

Preston, you may like this one too. It's more video of wild pheasants taken this spring in Detroit. A breeding pair of wild birds!:)

http://youtu.be/0BKWl9Hl-d0

Last edited:

Here's a photo of a few wild chicks cutting through someone's yard in Michigan. http://www.flickr.com/photos/maggiemom/2844466764/

Preston, I thought you might like this bad boy out in NM--2-3 yr old Afghan/Bianchi Rooster http://www.flickr.com/photos/16435490@N00/301784856/

Seems there still some fairly pure birds out there.

I'll through one more in there just for fun. This was taken here in N. IL. It's a neat picture with the barn in the background. http://www.flickr.com/photos/onefstopoff/2242760747/in/photostream/

Last edited:
Speaking of crows, we all know their to plentiful, harmful to nesting game birds and songbirds. So why the heck does Minnesota have a closed season on them.:eek:
And Ravens, worst critters in the world for raiding nests.

So why do I preach:confused: LOTS of old growth cover.
Forget burning grasslands, all you do is open things up for predation.:rolleyes:

So why do I preach:confused: LOTS of old growth cover.
Forget burning grasslands, all you do is open things up for predation.:rolleyes:

Just had to get that in there hah MNM. lol

Well, here we go again:eek::D

Looking at your habitat (your area) photos from past posts MNM I would agree with you. But in certain areas burning is a must. Plus it can be used as a tool to restore warm seasons. Typically with larger areas you don't burn the whole area. Instead one section a year so there's still enough habitat for survival of game birds and other species.

Unfortunately we don't have the habitat we used to have around here. Much of what remains is habitat within low areas w/over grown grasses that make it nearly impossible for nesting birds to successfully maneuver their chicks around.

One other down fall with over growth is it houses predators such as coon, skunks, etc.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it;):)

Last edited:
#1 Phez,
Those "outwest" pheasant chicks love to hide out in the thick stuff.:)
Even through Winters like you have never seen, pheasants thrive.
NEVER burned, makes the best pheasant country.:thumbsup:
If I can save 1 acre of pheasant habitat from being burned I'm good.:cool:

I will admit that, As much as 1% of grasslands MAY benefit from a burn.:cheers:

Mod. delete this post please. Thank you.

Last edited:
Crows are hateful, vile birds. There's a season here, too thanks to the Migratory Bird Treaty (parts of which are a good thing, but I wish it had excluded the black-feathered flying vermin).

We have crows here in town,so much for the West Nile Virus, you remember, all horses, crows, bluejays would be gone! in the end of world pheno. Funny thing is, there seems to be a number of horses, in equatorial Africa. The crows and jays are back in superior numbers than ever. The gamebirds are not. Monoculture of 20 year old "rank" grass even prairie grass, is not barren habitat, anymore than the intense tilled ground, which has some edge feathering or low lying areas to provide some bird cover. The theory here is "optima management". Rotation burning,will produce insect production, ability of optimal forage lane for chicks, the harder cover of old grow prairie will provide shade, emergency retreat ,winter cover. All if a habit has nesting cover, like wheat, or alfalfa, then what we lacking, could be hard cover of matured grass. If in most cases in public or private ground, we have to provide nesting cover, brood cover, and the requirement to provide safety, in a smaller area. Because of that fact, we need to use our ground to produce the optimum number of birds. If you are hunting a hard hunted parcel, I would be determined the bulk of roosters are going to be in a wickly wild piece of dense " hell hole of Cover", and make a majority of hunters shudder, and or avoid, the hens, on other hand, are more likely to be found in traditional areas, the one they use to raise their broods, and survive the year. I have heard that in the orginal NAGBT, It was the Mexicans that determined the crow season, Canadians, and United States wanted it unrestricted, but had to get hawks, eagles,(raptors), included, the Mexicans were inclined to include the crows. Do they eat Crows down there? I got snarly Taco's sometimes , I thought they were, iguana or "dog down the street". Crows are in a flock, are in the dictionary as " murders" of Crows! I guess that sums it up.

Last edited:
Moe, I know what kind of country, pheasant habitat, consistently produces lots of pheasants. Thick, old stands of heavy grass, lots of thatch, lots of stuff for young birds to get into. Away from cold rains, hail, wind and all kinds of critters that hunt/kill pheasants. Good heavy woody growth stuff too, lots of stuff to thick humans even most dogs.
Burn it, yeah right. No fires in 40 plus years why now?
There is a huge "all native all natural" movement, say, from MN South and East. Oh for sure far West to. Burning grasslands is part of it. Sure good things happen to grasslands with a good burn.
But hey:) This is UPH. Not Ultimate Grasslands.:cheers:

Nothing that a well-placed .25 cal pellet wouldn't fix. I can honestly say that I HATE crows! The Gyr Falcon/Ptarmigan vid that is available after this one is interesting, also, although it acts like a captive/trained raptor.

Moe, I know what kind of country, pheasant habitat, consistently produces lots of pheasants. Thick, old stands of heavy grass, lots of thatch, lots of stuff for young birds to get into.

Many times around here the grass gets so thick that birds will not go in it. I think it is because they cannot run. Young birds need insects. Insect populations are much more vibrant in rejuvenated grass. In addition you will never get broad based support for programs that sole purpose is for pheasant hunting.

Last edited:
Many times around here the grass gets so thick that birds will not go in it. I think it is because they cannot run. Young birds need insects. Insect populations are much more vibrant in rejuvenated grass. In addition you will never get broad based support for programs that sole purpose is for pheasant hunting.
Well said! Reverting succession is good for a host of reasons. :)

Back