Need some input -- Lennox vs Trane

southernblues

So my house has upstairs ac/furnace and downstairs ac/furnance.

Upstairs furnace is 60% eff- Day and Night. Been here since house was built in 60/70's. Heats up good, just $$$...

Upstairs A/C is Trane. Nothing stops a Trane.

Downstairs furnace is 90% eff Bryant. Works great...no problems.
Downstairs AC is Armstrong and BROKE!

Compressor went out. I can replace comp for $1500 and leave condensing unit and inside coil in tact. Both HVAC companies tell me it will work but can't guarantee something isn't contaminated or will break again.

So this is my thinking:
- replace downstairs ac AND furnace, replace the Day Night with Bryant for upstairs and get rid of the 60% eff furnace....

Now is the tough part:

Do I replace the downstairs ac/furn with a $12k installed Trane or $7700 Lennox? I think the Trane may be little bigger than the Lennox based on models and research I am doing. Internet seems to tell me the Trane has pretty good reputation as solid but the Lennox has good brand too..?

Maybe I am looking for some justification for my decisions but curious if you all have any input?

I thought i would give you my .02 on this. I am not a HVAC contractor, but I run rehabs all over KC. We replace units of one type or another on all of our jobs. I think I would replace the line set, a-coil and compressor on the downstairs furnace. You should be able to get a 2.5 ton for around 2500.00 or so. That should solve any contamination issues. Since it is a 90% Bryant you should be in good shape there. As far as the upstairs goes, replace the furnace with a good lennox or trane that will match up with the outside unit. I don't know all the specifics ie: sf of your house, length of runs, configuration of house and so on. If you decide to replace as stated Lennox are good units, but nothing will push air like a trane.

So my house has upstairs ac/furnace and downstairs ac/furnance.

Upstairs furnace is 60% eff- Day and Night. Been here since house was built in 60/70's. Heats up good, just $$$...

Upstairs A/C is Trane. Nothing stops a Trane.

Downstairs furnace is 90% eff Bryant. Works great...no problems.
Downstairs AC is Armstrong and BROKE!

Compressor went out. I can replace comp for $1500 and leave condensing unit and inside coil in tact. Both HVAC companies tell me it will work but can't guarantee something isn't contaminated or will break again.

So this is my thinking:
- replace downstairs ac AND furnace, replace the Day Night with Bryant for upstairs and get rid of the 60% eff furnace....

Now is the tough part:

Do I replace the downstairs ac/furn with a $12k installed Trane or $7700 Lennox? I think the Trane may be little bigger than the Lennox based on models and research I am doing. Internet seems to tell me the Trane has pretty good reputation as solid but the Lennox has good brand too..?

Maybe I am looking for some justification for my decisions but curious if you all have any input?

Those prices seem awfully high to me...

Thanks guys. I'm really stuck on the Trane based on feedback and brand. I know Lennox is good name, I just wanted to see if the delta in prices was commisurate with results....is it worth to go with Trane?

Back