need opions

SALLYSUE

Weather been bad and I have been spending way too much time on the net reading about different breeds. I live in Texas where the only type of hunting I mostly do is dove and duck. Wishing to hunt other stuff but it just hasn't happened. Well my gal is 9 and still going strong but I know mother time is right around the corner. My question is this I really don't want a Lab and what breed would you guys recommend.

Well Sally, It sounds like a ESS would fit your bill, You realy don't need a pointer, gosh I don't know. But in that neck of the woods you don't have real cold water, Springers make excelant waterfowl dogs. They make great pass shooting dogs. And if you ever hunt Pheasants or other upland birds your good to go. Maybe even a cocker, but the springer will be better for water retrieves. ESS, Cocker, Boykin, something on that line. I used to hunt mine all the time on ducks and they were great.

Last edited:
Its hard suggesting a breed to a person. There are a lot of factors that go into selecting a breed. Since you dove and duck hunt sounds like you need a retrieving breed. But if you wanna hunt quail or pheasant then you have other things to take into account. I have a black lab that is a wonderful upland bird hunting. He stays close, is steady to wing and shoot, is starting to point/hold birds both quail and pheasant better every time out, and retrieves beautifully. I'm starting to train him for ducks and geese. I haven't ever had him in a dove field but this september we'll see how he does. His mother and father do not hunt and his mother is not a full lab(we think she is 3/4 lab 1/4 chow). I know I got lucky but it just goes to show that it isn't all in the breed of dog you choose.

I believe it is more that just genetics that makes a good hunting dog that fits your needs. It takes training and patience. You could have a german shorthair that retrieves ducks and doves just was well as a lab. Try and find a breed type that fits your needs and go from there. Don't worry about getting an exotic breed. Go with a true and tried breed thats well established that fits your hunting style and needs

I would recommend a Brittany. They were once called the Brittany Spaniel, because of their webbed paws. They swim like any good water dog and with proper training they will retrieve most water or upland bird. They point all upland game with the best pointers in the world. So there is another option to think about...........Bob

oh wow, what a crazy question.. I'm guessing if folks are willing to put their two cents in, you'll get answers from ALL over the board. I asked which was preferred (male or female) on another board and it was pretty much right down the middle.

I think you'll find all kinds of valid points for what breed excels well for what hunting type/location, etc.. and many breeds obviously do many very well.

Personally I looked up and down the sites and threads like this to make a decision on what I was looking for. I looked at what I wanted to hunt, and what I wanted at home too. I settled on an ESS - good, fun, upland hunter. I've heard good things about duck work with them too (which is something I would like to eventually do with her too). But the big thing for me was the package and family style. I know most bird dogs are good family dogs, but I needed something a bit smaller (medium size dog if you will). A large breed like a lab or GSP would not do. After all sorts of researching, reading, talking, learning, I was torn between a Brittany and a Springer. In the end, I went springer since a flusher suits my personality more than a pointer. Plus, my best buddy has a pointing breed, so figured we could have best of both worlds down the road.

another key I had to factor in, was how realistic was it to find the breed I was looking for. Here in California, boykins are damn near impossible to find. I have never seen one in person work, so I wasn't willing to gamble on a cross country dog just on a phone call. Not to say that can't be done and be very happy though.

anyway to you go, best of luck.

if it was me

sally i personally would need two for dove and ducks black or yellow lab no dought now for your great state of quail hunting and bird hunting gods country in ks a pointing breed like my fav an ep , britt or peoples fav a german shorthair but i would think in texas you would need a tough little bigger running dog i just dont think one dog can get it done to my standards any way! HOOKEM HORNS

. Maybe even a cocker, but the springer will be better for water retrieves. ESS, Cocker, Boykin, something on that line. I used to hunt mine all the time on ducks and they were great.

I like to add to this there is also American Water Spaniel or maybe even a Pudel Pointer or a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. all these dogs make great dove / waterfowl dogs.

I have read good things about Vislas

You will rarely read anything about a breed that doesn't make it sound like the ultimate gundog. Then in the following issue, you'll read about another breed that is the ultimate. Take that stuff w/ a big grain of salt. The marketplace generally is a good measure of the most effective breeds. There's a reason labs are so overwhelmingly popular among the retrievers.

Dove & duck hunting isn't really "hunting" it's retrieving. You don't want the most obvious choice which is a lab so consider a field-bred golden (but stay away from the fluffy ones) or consider a spaniel. Boykins are perfect for what you're describing but springers and english cockers are also excellent retrievers. In all breeds make sure you're only looking at field dogs though as the bench bred lines usually won't have any more hunting aptitude than a dalmatian.

I was with you when you were considering the German Longhair or Munsterlander. They would still work for your normal dove/duck and would also be functional for upland birds. If you wanted the trifecta, they are also trained to track and retrieve fur. So too are the weim, shorthair, draathar, etc.

They both seem like the perfect pup for what I am looking for in a partner .I really enjoy the dog part on the hunting the most . And maybe one day I may have one when my gal decideds to retire .

Back