Need Help on Gun Upgrade!

Fabarm L4S. Ready Randy Wakeman review of it . Its also on you tube. I have two now.
Good luck, but you have to buy what fits you the best.

I may have mis-spoke on it, raised rib? Not sure what it's called specifically, where the barrel has a raised surface, when I handle the gun I like a clean sightline straight down the barrell with it slightly raised, the montefrelto I tried didn't have it. The Binelli click I see isn't a new problem, that may influence me now that I've looked into it more.

@AtTheMurph, I like 3 shots no o/u or s/s for me.
If you want to not have to worry about the jams and want to carry a nice light gun, probably missing the boat.

BEST way is to go mount as many as you can and find the fit that you like. Just my experience liking the 870 sight picture of seeing a little rib and floating birds that I shot for years, the Montefeltro was the sight picture I liked. I like looking at a wood stock also, so win win for me but obviously not necessary. Actually bought a Cordoba and couldn't get used to the high rib and had to cover everything. I have a Super Black Eagle and its too heavy in my opinion. Its a gen1 so maybe they are lighter now but not necessary for pheasant or duck.
Good luck and HOW FUN to get to buy a new gun.

If you want to not have to worry about the jams and want to carry a nice light gun, probably missing the boat.

I can live with an occasional Jam. But it’s happened 4x this year when I would’ve had an easy follow up (not an excuse for missing the first shot but another jam would’ve been a double). I just simply stated im not interested in a Sxs or o/u, I like having 3 shots because I hunt multiple species. I tried a Retay Masai Mara and am leaning that way currently. I’ve gotten enough opinions now to feel comfortable with any of the franchi, Benelli, or Retay I think.

I can live with an occasional Jam. But it’s happened 4x this year when I would’ve had an easy follow up (not an excuse for missing the first shot but another jam would’ve been a double). I just simply stated im not interested in a Sxs or o/u, I like having 3 shots because I hunt multiple species. I tried a Retay Masai Mara and am leaning that way currently. I’ve gotten enough opinions now to feel comfortable with any of the franchi, Benelli, or Retay I think.
Gross- I have both the Masai Mara and the Gordion and I honestly prefer the Gordion.
Having shot both a lot, it would be hard to justify the extra money. Just my 2 cents.

AF9F004D-742E-4137-A318-B07CE31BD6BB.jpeg

Went pheasant hunting last night and my shotgun jammed and cost me a chance at another rooster (doesn’t excuse the first shot). I about threw it into the marsh and went home. Weird side note, flushed a hen and the idiot flew 150 yards directly into a power line and committed suicide.

Got home, told my wife I’m buying a shotgun today so if that’s what you got me for Xmas speak now or forever hold your peace, she said have at it.

Ended up going with Retay Masai Mara, I don’t need 3.5 but thought it may be nice for turkey hunting. Modified shims when I got home today, I’ll pattern and shoot a couple rounds of clays Friday before trying to get my first ditch parrot this weekend. Thanks for the advice guys!

Thought I'd circle back on this. I patterned this for pheasants and the pattern seemed low, like 70% of the bb's low with a Mod choke at 30 and 40 yards, thought maybe that was just a quirk of the gun. This spring I didn't pattern (I know I'm dumb), called in a tom and fired 3 rounds of 15$/round TSS at a bird that was very much alive. I had a gong show of a time catching up to him but I did ultimately end up killing him in hand to hand combat.

Went home and threw up a pattern board and I was at least 18" low at 30 and 40 with regular #5 turkey loads. I called the dealer and they said talk to Retay, which I did. I sent it in and they confirmed it failed point of impact and a 2nd barrell also failed and I would be getting a completely new set-up. They stated there was something wrong with the reciever milling causing it to aim the barrell down. They will pattern the new gun they're sending me and hopefully I'll be good to go.

Obviously not overly happy that it didn't work right away, but really happy with the customer service. They tested it on the day it was received, and I have a new one on the way already. I shot ok on pheasants with it in January, not great, not terrible. Now I have an excuse at least :)

I'm hope your new rig patterns! I'm having some problems myself. Although I've killed My last several turkeys with 20's, I haven't found one that's perfect. Killed a couple with the CZ bobwhite g2, It shot about 3 inches to the right. Not enough to miss but enough to piss me off. I bought the CZ ultralight all terrain. And the bottom barrel shoots about 3 inches low!! Sent the bobwhite back and they did a trigger job on it and said it was within their parameters. So now I'm tossing around buying an old stevens 311 and having chokes put in!! Needless to say I'm done with CZ. I really liked both except they didn't shoot straight.

Is shoot a Browning BPS 12ga. It’s a little heavy, but I really like how it pulls up to shoot. I had my dads rem 1100 jam one with quality shooting opportunities a couple times and that stopped me from getting a semi. I don’t get out enough to let a gun failure be to blame. It’s hard enough to make the time to get out there. I’ve never felt like I wanted to shoot faster.

That all said a nice semi auto is fun. But I wouldn’t buy one used.

Have fun picking one out and pick the one that fits you!

I've been shooting an old 870 express for the last 20 years, and the time has come for me to upgrade. Over the last couple years I've had more instances than I'd like of me short-shucking a shell and I watch as the rooster flies away unscathed when I could've had another shot at 30 yards; or the 2nd bird gets up and I'm screwing around with a shell that hasn't fully discharged. I've had it into the gunsmith and after several tweaks it's better, but still does happen occasionally (which is more than I'll accept at this point in my life). I still plan on keeping it for rainy, crappy weather...but I've decided its time...

I've always shot a pump but am considering going to an auto-loader, someone talk me into or out of it and I'll go from there. I've got a budget of about 2k and something I'm looking to get for next year. I spend 60+ days in the field focusing primarily on pheasants, but I also do a bit of duck/goose hunting and turkeys in the spring. Am I overthinking this and should just go high end and cry once and get a Benelli Super Black Eagle? I don't need to spend that much, but I'm fine paying for quality. I don't want a s/s or o/u FYI, I kill too many on that 3rd shot or occasionally need it on a bird that I clearly drew feathers from. I'm not one that loves collecting a million guns, I want a high quality either pump or autoloader that I plan on using until I die.
I'd buy a 1187 premier, 28 inch, made in the late 90s.12 guage, magnum. That's a great all around gun.

For those just popping in, I bought a Retay Masai Mara, I like the looks and feel of the gun, it just wasn't shooting where I was aiming and they're sending a brand new one under warranty, you can see my post above explaining what happened.

How did the replacement work out for you?
I haven’t had time to throw up a patterning board yet but they did send pictures of the new gun patterning fine. I’ll do a full analysis next weekend and get a few different rounds through it and let everyone know.

Back