Need a springer spaniel trainer!

goldenboy

Hey guys, I have a good buddy that thinks we need different colored dogs in the field. What I mean is that we hunt together but he decided to buy a different colored dog than my red goldens! His son has one of my dogs and so do some of his friends that hunt with us. But I get off track easily, sorry. Well he jumped into the pool of multiple dogs and bought his second springer. They are good hunting dogs with instinct, breeding, and all that is needed to produce a nice hunting dog. We found him a trainer that did a nice job with his first springer but he is now booked and cannot take his puppy this summer for training. I need some recommendations from you guys who run and train spaniels of where to send his dog. He lives in Minnesota and would like to keep the training within driving distance (2-3) hours max. Do you have any recommendations for him? I sent him to my trainer but he has decided to only train retrievers. My buddy is not looking for a hunt test or field trial dog he wants obedience, retrieving, quartering, etc. Just the basics, probably 2-3 months of work. Let me know your thoughts.

Hey guys, I have a good buddy that thinks we need different colored dogs in the field. What I mean is that we hunt together but he decided to buy a different colored dog than my red goldens! His son has one of my dogs and so do some of his friends that hunt with us. But I get off track easily, sorry. Well he jumped into the pool of multiple dogs and bought his second springer. They are good hunting dogs with instinct, breeding, and all that is needed to produce a nice hunting dog. We found him a trainer that did a nice job with his first springer but he is now booked and cannot take his puppy this summer for training. I need some recommendations from you guys who run and train spaniels of where to send his dog. He lives in Minnesota and would like to keep the training within driving distance (2-3) hours max. Do you have any recommendations for him? I sent him to my trainer but he has decided to only train retrievers. My buddy is not looking for a hunt test or field trial dog he wants obedience, retrieving, quartering, etc. Just the basics, probably 2-3 months of work. Let me know your thoughts.

Joel:

I've used Brian - West Country Kennels. He's west of the city near Glencoe. He worked for Tom Dokken for 10 years...been training since 1991. I believe he works with all types of hunting dogs. Would assume he'll be at the Sportman's Show in March.

Good Luck!

Yep my buddy found these guys but the problem is they want $1,050 per month for training with a minimum of 4 months! That is a little to long for him. He wants a dog that flushes, retrieves, delivers to hand and that is about it. He won't be doing any hunt tests or trials with the dog. He wants a hunting dog/companion. We are going to the Sportshow in Minneapolis in March and we will look up some guys there as well. It is kind of nice to speak face to face with trainers and explain what you are looking for. We do have a guy that trained his other springer but he is booked until the fall and he would be without the pup for the first part of the season. Not the worst case scenario, because he still has his other dog, he is just excited to get her out and hunt with her this fall.

I'd wait another year before taking it to a trainer. Just focus on basic obedience until then and taking him to the field.. This fall take him hunting and let him get his feet wet. Then a trainer next spring to get ready for the 2020 season.

Back