NE KS Report

Well I am coming to kansas this year for pheasant hunting in dec.right after deer season.Not sure where I am going yet either SW or NC .I have been checking this post out for about 3 months and trying to find best place to go
I usaly go to the dakotas .But this year because of drought and all in the dakotas i want to hunt kansas because of more habitat to hunt this year.
I realize there is not as many pheasant but for me it's all about dog work
Any way I have a few questions about quail since I fiquire i will run into some.#1 why not shoot into flushed covey? #2 why not keep trying to chase cover more than twice?#3 only shoot singles?#4 only hunt late in morning and quite early in afternoon so they can bunch up again?
These are some of the things I have been reading on this site from some
Of the members.I want to do the right thing with the quail
Any help with these questions would be appreicated

I think most your questions get answered on this thread: http://uplandjournal.ipbhost.com/to...-bobwhite-quail/?tab=comments#comment-1102011

Generally though quail are fragile birds who survive only in community with other quail. The things you have read are simply ways to help keep the covey alive. For example: if you flush a covey of 8 birds and get 2 on the flush. Then shoot 2 more singles. Now the covey is down to 4 birds who are probably really spread out due to you pursuing them as singles. The probabilities of those 4 surviving the night are not good especially if it is really cold. So in essence you counted 4 for your limit but more than likely killed 8.

Not trying to offend you but you must learn to respect , conserve and understand the game you hunt not just kill it. You will then be what is called a sportsmen. Not just a hunter. If you take this into context with your questions then those questions are easily answered.

Going all a$$hole on your 9th post is bold move.

I think most your questions get answered on this thread: http://uplandjournal.ipbhost.com/to...-bobwhite-quail/?tab=comments#comment-1102011

Generally though quail are fragile birds who survive only in community with other quail. The things you have read are simply ways to help keep the covey alive. For example: if you flush a covey of 8 birds and get 2 on the flush. Then shoot 2 more singles. Now the covey is down to 4 birds who are probably really spread out due to you pursuing them as singles. The probabilities of those 4 surviving the night are not good especially if it is really cold. So in essence you counted 4 for your limit but more than likely killed 8.

Thank you jakeismydog
That answered all my questions about the quail hunting
Now I see why members are so careful with
Quail.I will certainly abide but what I have learned
Never to old to learn something

Well I am coming to kansas this year for pheasant hunting in dec.right after deer season.Not sure where I am going yet either SW or NC .I have been checking this post out for about 3 months and trying to find best place to go
I usaly go to the dakotas .But this year because of drought and all in the dakotas i want to hunt kansas because of more habitat to hunt this year.
Any way I have a few questions about quail since I fiquire i will run into some.#1 why not shoot into flushed covey? #2 why not keep trying to chase cover more than twice?#3 only shoot singles?#4 only hunt late in morning and quite early in afternoon so they can bunch up again?

James

Hope you have a great trip. I've been fortunate to have put dogs on the ground for 9 days so far this year.

Best day I had was 7 covey, opening day, no one covey had more than 14-15 birds and avg was 8-12.
Fri/Sat I shot two birds each day, had several "covey" points of 4-6 birds, didn't even pull the trigger, but worked a couple of young dogs on singles. Could have killed a bunch.

Saturday counted 8 different trucks pulled into WIHA properties, and only one had KS plates.
Most hunters I've seen since late 70's.
Pheasant seem to be better than last several years, but that's not saying a lot.
I've hunted SD in December last 7 years, can't wait to head up there next month and get away from the crowds.

Last edited:
James

Hope you have a great trip. I've been fortunate to have put dogs on the ground for 9 days so far this year.

Best day I had was 7 covey, opening day, no one covey had more than 14-15 birds and avg was 8-12.
Fri/Sat I shot two birds each day, had several "covey" points of 4-6 birds, didn't even pull the trigger, but worked a couple of young dogs on singles. Could have killed a bunch.
Questioning my conservation practices as one truck from out east was 2 birds shy of 3 limits.
Saturday counted 8 different trucks pulled into WIHA properties, and only one had KS plates.
Most hunters I've seen since late 70's.
Pheasant seem to be better than last several years, but that's not saying a lot.
I've hunted SD in December last 7 years, can't wait to head up there next month and get away from the crowds.

Thanks for imput.I hope I made right decision to hunt kansas this year
I too am looking to get away from crowds.Its only me and two dogs
I have a lab that's good on pheasants and a new 8 month old pointer
On her first hunt.I think that I will not shoot any quail if I see them
Since I am not hunting for them.To bad f&g did not change quail limit
Temporarly to help them multiple .Its still all about dog work to me
I have not hunted in Kansas for 30 years.So I am looking forward to it
Good luck to you in dakotas

For seeing more non-resident hunters. 1. With SD pheasants being down I have heard many hunters say they were going to go to KS to try something new/different. 2. Quail numbers are up in KS, OK, TX for sure. TX is extremely hard to get into birds unless you know somebody with a ranch or get invited to a quail lease by somebody with more money than I. I have never hunted OK but hear it is tough to get on land as well. 3. KS advertises about all the public and walk on land available to non-residents so it is inviting to us non-residents.

I will be meeting a friend from NC this year in KS for a late season quail/pheasant hunt. We have a rancher already that has invited us to hunt private ground and he is happy to come see us spend that out of state money in his town.

There is no reason not to shoot birds on the covey flush. You don't want to take too many birds out of a covey, in cold weather they do better 8 or so birds in the covey for warmth. I will work the dogs on single for a while, but move on if we have taken more than a couple birds out of an average covey. In general when it is getting around 3 to 4pm I generally call it a night so the quail have enough time to regroup before night.

Good luck and have fun. There is no better bird to work a dog on than Bobs.

May I ask where you are located? I don’t think that giving away your location will flock anybody to your area because you mentioned you haven’t seen quail in a long time. I am guessing you are somewhat close to Kansas City?
We live out on the far west side of the city and haven’t seen a quail around in about 15 years but all around my house the quail habitat is fine. My dad used to shoot limits frequently around here.

Agreed on Bobs being great to work a young or old dog on, a close second in the woodcock. Counting the days till I'm in Kansas working my dogs!

There is no reason not to shoot birds on the covey flush. You don't want to take too many birds out of a covey, in cold weather they do better 8 or so birds in the covey for warmth. I will work the dogs on single for a while, but move on if we have taken more than a couple birds out of an average covey. In general when it is getting around 3 to 4pm I generally call it a night so the quail have enough time to regroup before night.

Thanks Steve
Looking forward to hunting kansas.Also seeing some quail have not seen to many where I hunt.Maybe I will turn into a quail guy like some of these other posters.I have a lab that is great on pheasant but I am looking forward to what my pudelpointer does with quail.i Have got Her Holding Point on Pigeons .I think I will not shoot at quail that she points and does not hold.She is 8 months and I want her to have fun on this trip.
No training I will let the birds teach her

James O., I think you will have a wonderful time hunting Kansas. Almost everyone is super friendly and will go out of their way to help out. Good luck and ALL THE BEST to you.

Looks like everyone that bird hunts ks has read this thread. Just talked to my buddy that lives near Marysville, and he said he has seen a ton of bird hunters the last week or so. Even in rifle season. More hunters than he has seen in last several years combined.

When the word gets out, hunters seem to get interested. We hunted four days in NE part of Kansas. We rotated our dogs(had six total) to keep them fresh. We hunted hard for four days and found several huge coveys. They were healthy coveys and we left them that way. We hunted same territory two years ago and would hunt hard to find 3-5 coveys a day. It was double this year. Corn seems to be a favorite food in NE Kansas. Soy bean fields were productive, but when we found cover next to corn, very productive. We did find few birds around milo stubble. We hunted the first full week of season M-Th and saw no bird hunters- all we saw were bow hunters

What towns were you around? Far NE Ks to me is Atchison area or you talking further up towards the KS, NE corner?

What towns were you around? Far NE Ks to me is Atchison area or you talking further up towards the KS, NE corner?

First post and you are asking what town he was around, nice! This gets talked about on here quite a bit and I hate it when people give specific towns. 3 or 4 years ago a guy was on here talking about how many birds he got into by one of the places we hunt and it's never been the same. Used to never see other hunters, now every time we go they are all over the place!

First post and you are asking what town he was around, nice! This gets talked about on here quite a bit and I hate it when people give specific towns. 3 or 4 years ago a guy was on here talking about how many birds he got into by one of the places we hunt and it's never been the same. Used to never see other hunters, now every time we go they are all over the place!

Exactly .

Sure no problem, I'll give you my hunting spot...... I'm shocked people even have the balls to ask.

I made the mistake of starting this thread... never giving the "region" of the state I hunt again and I would prefer if others don't either. I've seen more hunters this year than I have in a long time and I believe a lot of that is due to internet scouting.

I think quail numbers are much better in the last few years in quite a few areas. We used to see a mixed bag of birds when we hunted NE quite a bit.
Last weekend I had the pleasure to hang out a bit with a couple of the new biologists in partnership with kdwp and pheasants forever and they really are working hard on habitat improvement ideas at least in the public areas. Hope some new blood will help out Ks. I havent hunted NE in a few years but will in jan a bit.

Back