NE KS Report

MAB7799

Hunted far NE KS. Saw 9 pheasants (3 roosters rest hens), shot 2 roosters over point and found 4 coveys. Shot 8 quail. (3 hunters)

Decent pheasant numbers considering NE KS doesn't have many to begin with. Quail numbers seemed to be about the same as last year. Couple real big coveys though so that was nice to see. Dog work could have been a little better but had a couple young dogs running and they made a few mistakes.

Nice to hear you saw some pheasants up there. I'd love to have it get back to how it was 25 years ago. Used to be you Loaded up with 7.5 or 6 shot when quail hunting because you almost always shot at least a few pheasants and if you didn't you were disappointed.

We took a trip from Ky to NE Kansas last week(hunted M- Th) and found total of 35 coveys of quail. We limited out every day with good dog work from pointers. Birds stuck really good for points and made our hay with singles. Pheasants were very thin- only harvesting 2 roosters in 4 days and only saw one hen pheasant. We were very happy with quail numbers - did not hunt any covey twice- might plan another trip around Christmas.

That's awesome. Just be careful with the coveys as it sounds you are. I don't hunt them too early (before 8) and stop around 3 to give them a chance to covey back up. Shoot into the covey once if it's small and if it's a bigger covey chase singles maybe once or twice before moving on. They are a fragile resource. I like the dog work way more than the killing of them.

If we are careful with them we will have nice coveys all season long for the dogs.

Most coveys were very large( 15-25). We found no coveys of 8-10 birds. I could not believe the difference in covey size of what we found there compared to KY. Yes, I agree, I want to the coveys to be healthy when I hunt them next year. Most of the birds we found were on WIHA. Some WIHA's were much better than others(as far as quail habitat).

I applaud you for not pursuing any covey more than twice. That’s a good conservative hunter there!
Hats off to you sir.

Wow! 35 coveys! That’s the best quail report I’ve heard in a long time.
Large coveys?
We have some access to private ground near Hiawatha. Do you think that’s worth a shot to try there?
We usually go SC or Central KS because pheasant hunting can be good at times. So the mixed bag hunting can be great.

We took a trip from Ky to NE Kansas last week(hunted M- Th) and found total of 35 coveys of quail. We limited out every day with good dog work from pointers. Birds stuck really good for points and made our hay with singles. Pheasants were very thin- only harvesting 2 roosters in 4 days and only saw one hen pheasant. We were very happy with quail numbers - did not hunt any covey twice- might plan another trip around Christmas.

I applaud you for not pursuing any covey more than twice. That’s a good conservative hunter there!
Hats off to you sir.

Wow! 35 coveys! That’s the best quail report I’ve heard in a long time.
Large coveys?
We have some access to private ground near Hiawatha. Do you think that’s worth a shot to try there?
We usually go SC or Central KS because pheasant hunting can be good at times. So the mixed bag hunting can be great.

Some of my best hunts were in NE KS in late 80's and early 90's during college and just after. Pheasant and quail mixed bags. Knocked on doors and were able to get permission to hunt from numerous farmers in the area. Then Mid America Gamebird Association showed up and leased most of the private ground we had been hunting. Had a really good run in that area for a 3 or 4 year period though.

Nick I was thinking about the same thing you speak of yesterday. It was nothing to come home with a limit of phez and at least a few quail in NE KS back in the late 70s and early 80s. Hell we'd see a spot we wanted to hunt and knock on the door and the farmer would almost seem put out that you asked. The normal answer would be "hell I don't care what you do as long as you don't shoot my cattle".

Now it's like pulling nails to find a place. And yes, mid America has leased up a bunch in ne Ks. Hate to see that. Back then though NE KS was an area that hunters went to opening day lots of years.

Nick I was thinking about the same thing you speak of yesterday. It was nothing to come home with a limit of phez and at least a few quail in NE KS back in the late 70s and early 80s. Hell we'd see a spot we wanted to hunt and knock on the door and the farmer would almost seem put out that you asked. The normal answer would be "hell I don't care what you do as long as you don't shoot my cattle".

Now it's like pulling nails to find a place. And yes, mid America has leased up a bunch in ne Ks. Hate to see that. Back then though NE KS was an area that hunters went to opening day lots of years.

I remember hunting with my dad as a kid up around Perry and Valley falls. Opening day there were cars everywhere. This would have been 75 or so.

Opening weekend there were LOTS of hunters around Valley, I won't comment on the bird numbers but I hunt NE KS almost exclusively and it's been tough so far. I've seen a few covies but they weren't large and it was public so I didn't take any. I've seen a few pheasants but haven't taken a shot at one. Lots of milo still in so I'm hoping it will get better when the crops all come out.

It is getting harder and harder to get permission. Kentucky whisky seems to help for the borderline cases. Also, when they say no, ask them if they would like some birds. It is definitely not like it was in the late 70's and 80's, but last week's hunt was a big improvement compared to last year- especially on quail

I had quail calling on my property this morning. Off topic a little but this is the first time I've had quail around except for a lone male in the spring looking for a mate. Made my morning.

Most coveys were very large( 15-25). We found no coveys of 8-10 birds. I could not believe the difference in covey size of what we found there compared to KY. Yes, I agree, I want to the coveys to be healthy when I hunt them next year. Most of the birds we found were on WIHA. Some WIHA's were much better than others(as far as quail habitat).

15-25 is generally 2 coveys grouped together.

I have come to the conclusion that bird hunting is a lot like bass fishing. When a lake gets hot every club has a tournament on it and within a couple years the bass fishing sucks. I think it's the same with bird hunting. The report of someone finding 35 coveys of birds in 4 days has the area covered up with hunters. I was out and about today and there were more hunters today than I saw all last season the area. 35 coveys of birds in 4 days seems like a stretch, especially considering not being "local". I'd say some of these coveys were the same ones moved a couple of times over the course of the 4 days.

I'd like to ask everyone not to post even general areas you were at. It's not that large when your talking the WWW. Can do some damage to areas especially when it gets cold. If people want to know they should PM and not ask to put this on the general forum.

I'll take some heat from this but I don't care. I'm tired of seeing posts about areas people were in and on FB tailgate photos of birds with the location turned on so that everyone can see what town your in.

Well I am coming to kansas this year for pheasant hunting in dec.right after deer season.Not sure where I am going yet either SW or NC .I have been checking this post out for about 3 months and trying to find best place to go
I usaly go to the dakotas .But this year because of drought and all in the dakotas i want to hunt kansas because of more habitat to hunt this year.
I realize there is not as many pheasant but for me it's all about dog work
Any way I have a few questions about quail since I fiquire i will run into some.#1 why not shoot into flushed covey? #2 why not keep trying to chase cover more than twice?#3 only shoot singles?#4 only hunt late in morning and quite early in afternoon so they can bunch up again?
These are some of the things I have been reading on this site from some
Of the members.I want to do the right thing with the quail
Any help with these questions would be appreicated

Well I am coming to kansas this year for pheasant hunting in dec.right after deer season.Not sure where I am going yet either SW or NC .I have been checking this post out for about 3 months and trying to find best place to go
I usaly go to the dakotas .But this year because of drought and all in the dakotas i want to hunt kansas because of more habitat to hunt this year.
I realize there is not as many pheasant but for me it's all about dog work
Any way I have a few questions about quail since I fiquire i will run into some.#1 why not shoot into flushed covey? #2 why not keep trying to chase cover more than twice?#3 only shoot singles?#4 only hunt late in morning and quite early in afternoon so they can bunch up again?
These are some of the things I have been reading on this site from some
Of the members.I want to do the right thing with the quail
Any help with these questions would be appreicated

Not trying to offend you but you must learn to respect , conserve and understand the game you hunt not just kill it. You will then be what is called a sportsmen. Not just a hunter. If you take this into context with your questions then those questions are easily answered.

Last edited:
Not trying to offend you but you must learn to respect , conserve and understand the game you hunt not just kill it. You will then be what is called a sportsmen. Not just a hunter. If you take this into context with your questions then those questions are easily answered.
I guess I am not a sportsman like you.I have been hunting pheasant and
Grouse for about 50 years.Is it because I hunt pheasant that I am not a sportsman or are you just born with the sportsman knowledge.
Thanks for no answer to my questions.how stupid of me to ask.

Back