ND opener

gsp4life

anybody hitting the ND opener? i'll be there the 16th through the 24th. hopefully there is still some birds left. and even if there isnt at least i'll be in the field with some good family and some dogs. my wife might even come out and join us on some walks. it will be here first time. anybody know what the conditions are up there? tried the ndgf but they said it was just spotty. so who knows. i'll be hunting the garrison area. and i just found out the other day that pf is having a banquet there in my home town.

My NoDak adventures are going to be later in the season.

Make sure you report back on how things went.

just got a good report from my uncle and he says the roosters are all over on one of the refuges, saw about 100 of them standing along the hedge rows. that got me really exicted.

Early season will be very tough will all the corn, expectation is a late harvest similar to last year. Fewer and fewer small grains are grown in the SE part of the state. Bean fields are just starting to be harvested. I am pushing my 5 day trip back to the end of the month.

Have heard mixed feedback on numbers, the NDGF says down about 50% in the traditional pheasant range. The NDGF report is very general nothing in comparison to SDGF.

My understanding is some areas are down as much as 75% with pockets showing numbers just slightly down. ND continues to loss CRP so expect fewer spots to hunt.

When duck hunting we saw very few birds and did not hear a single cackle in the morning. Will be a good year to lose some weight.

report from ND opener. most of all crops are still up. very wet. sloughs everywhere. but i hunted 6 days and shot my limit everyday except one day i shot 2. missed alot. there are alot of hens out which is a good sign. hunted around the lake in some PLOT areas. almost every field we hit we saw birds. my dog was hurt with some tore muscles in his back so we didnt even have a dog. birds were holding tight. all the cover is still really thick in most areas. all in all it was a great trip, nothing is better than hunting where you grew up and with family

picture.php

Recent day in ND, pup is now 1.5 years.

Back