nd brood count survey out

Yep, but ultimately the SW will still have more pheasants but that usually comes with trespass fees.

For those pondering a trip, it’s been raining a lot going to be a late harvest, on the flip side they are already talking about the trespass law again, should be a fun year.

I wish they would put a long term average like SD does. The birds are up over last year but have been drastically down since the drought of 2017. Would just be nice to see the average over the last 30 years. It is good news though, seems like SE ND and NE SD bird counts are up. Might be a good year to by both tags and bounce back and forth.

I wish they would put a long term average like SD does. The birds are up over last year but have been drastically down since the drought of 2017. Would just be nice to see the average over the last 30 years. It is good news though, seems like SE ND and NE SD bird counts are up. Might be a good year to by both tags and bounce back and forth.

Still at least 50% below ore-2017 levels.

almost a tie in terms of actual #'s spotted...SW had a slight edge, very, very slight...

Yes and I would suspect if we were talking specifically just the Mott, Regent areas only, there may have been more separation.

What else caught my attention was the numbers per 100 miles for the SE. More birds counted per 100 miles than either NW or SW???

Statistics from the northwest indicate pheasants are up 49% from last year, with broods up 75%. Observers recorded five broods and 39 pheasants per 100 miles. Average brood size was six.

Results from the southeast show birds are up 32% from last year, and the number of broods up 27%. Observers counted six broods and 51 birds per 100 miles. The average brood size was six.

Statistics from southwestern North Dakota indicate total pheasants were down 7% and broods observed up 2% from 2018. For every 100 survey miles, observers counted an average of six broods and 41 pheasants. The average brood size was five chicks.

Last edited:
Which part of the state offers the most public land? I am thinking of making a trip up there this year. Maybe the Mott or Wing areas. Looking to hunt PLOT's land. Which part of the state do you recommend?

Hunted the Mott area this weekend, weather was terrible hot, but managed a few grouse, partridge and had great dove shoots sat. and sun. Saw tons of pheasants. Lots of really small chicks, hun size and smaller, and a few that were just starting to get some color on their head. Really pleased with Hun numbers, especially for all the crops still standing.

can someone help me understand the south west part it says that total birds where down 7% but broods where up 2% then it says that bird numbers are slowly improving. If total birds where down 7% how can they be slowly improving ? and dose any one of any on the ground reports form the bowman area ?

Back