NC Public Land?

cockerfan

Hey, new to this forum, but not new to hunting pheasants in Iowa! I am a native Iowan (Linn and Polk County), but moved down to Texas a couple of months ago. Over the Christmas holiday I will be driving up to IA and to MN to visit family. While I am with my family in Linn county, I will have placed to hunt. However, when I go visit my wife's family in Granada, MN, I would really like to take the 20 minute drive to get down over the border back into Iowa to do some pheasant hunting. Is anyone will to point me toward some public land in Kossuth or Emmet county that might hold some birds? I won't have any time to scout, so wherever I drive to is where I'll be hunting. I promise I won't over hunt it or take other people to it... I don't have anyone else to hunt with from my wife's hometown, and I'll be headed back to TX. I have two English Cockers that I'd like to put on birds every chance that I get. They get a trip to KS next week to bird hunt...we'll see how that goes.

Hey, new to this forum, but not new to hunting pheasants in Iowa! I am a native Iowan (Linn and Polk County), but moved down to Texas a couple of months ago. Over the Christmas holiday I will be driving up to IA and to MN to visit family. While I am with my family in Linn county, I will have placed to hunt. However, when I go visit my wife's family in Granada, MN, I would really like to take the 20 minute drive to get down over the border back into Iowa to do some pheasant hunting. Is anyone will to point me toward some public land in Kossuth or Emmet county that might hold some birds? I won't have any time to scout, so wherever I drive to is where I'll be hunting. I promise I won't over hunt it or take other people to it... I don't have anyone else to hunt with from my wife's hometown, and I'll be headed back to TX. I have two English Cockers that I'd like to put on birds every chance that I get. They get a trip to KS next week to bird hunt...we'll see how that goes.

Got cousins in Grenada I hunt around that area and Gukeen some when home, Grew up in "BE". Not sure about the public land Useualy just hunt the relly's land in IA. Must be maps somewhere.

Wow, there are only about 20 people in that town...crazy that you have relatives there too. I am sure I can find maps, I was just hoping for a little direction since maps only tell me where the land is, not if there are any pheasants there!

If you find any public land it may have been hit cause there is not that much. But there is definatly birds. I would try to see if you can get a private spot or two to walk. The whole region has been great for birds. If it is Xmas time I might be able to take you out about 30 miles away In IA.

It'll probably be the 27th or 28th of December that I'd be able to make it out. I was hoping that being later in the season things might have calmed down a little, but maybe not... I had a spot about 35 minutes from Des Moines that was public land, but it was golden later in the year, especially after the snow fell. Seemed like everyone else gave up on it earlier in the year, but I'd shoot at least one bird every time I went there later in the year. That'd be awesome if you were available to go out on one of those days!

Yea it could be good if hit right. But there is limited areas and those guys down there keep going, look what else there is to do around there:D By then you will have snow so they should be easier to find. Check in here later not sure where I will be working but if I can get some work here I will be headed down there for some time. No problem taking someone if I get down. I am always alone any way.

Sounds good! I just found this forum this evening and have enjoyed looking through previous posts. I'm sure I'll check in from time to time to see what's new.

kossuth has birds on the public land. once it gets cold they have very little hunting pressure. several new areas that arent on the maps yet.

'Cocker,

I assumed the handle refers to those pocket rocket flushers that seem to interest me so much lately (I have an aging setter and am thinking of getting a flusher puppy for the next bird dog), we may need to talk more if you have experience with these dogs.

I live in Linn county (moved here 7 years ago) and unless you are in the best habitat available, you can pretty much forget it east of I-35. Lots of walking for few birds; populations have basically crashed out here. As a case in point, I am in the process of planning a trip to SD or KS to get my "fix". Will also probably hunt NC or NW IA once or twice as well, bird numbers are "stable" there as you are aware. This is supported by the DNR small game distribution map you can download from their website that is based on the annual roadside survey they do. Overlay that over your county maps of public areas and should be on your way.

Now, as far as NC or NW IA public lands, go read the online magazine articles in the "IA Game/Fish" website under "pheasants". Also, check the Iowa Sportsman's Atlas-this set of maps (not the Delorme!) can be bought at most Sporting goods stores in IA and some border states. There is a map listing each county, with the public land colored on each page with a description. Some of the land is Federal or County, and is not necessarily listed on the DNR website, but is still open to public hunting. Most the public lands in these areas of interest will require no-tox shot. Bear that in mind and stock up now, as it can be hard to get sometimes. I really like Remington Wingmaster HD in #6 or Kent Tungsten Matrix #5 loads in 12 GA. I don't have any faith in steel, the expensive stuff really works and it is worth the cost, as far as I am concerned.

I can't be more specific on spots. Those two suggestions will get you what you need. I have done DIY trips to these areas the last 4 years exclusively on public land and done reasonably well. Cattails and frozen marshes will be important areas to target once the weather really sets in; which is a possibility with your timeframe. I would offer you to join me if I was hunting during that time, but more than likely, I will be visiting my relatives back in western PA. (We usually head to my inlaws over Christmas)

Regards,

Joe

Last edited:
'Cocker,

I assumed the handle refers to those pocket rocket flushers that seem to interest me so much lately (I have an aging setter and am thinking of getting a flusher puppy for the next bird dog), we may need to talk more if you have experience with these dogs.

I live in Linn county (moved here 7 years ago) and unless you are in the best habitat available, you can pretty much forget it east of I-35. Lots of walking for few birds; populations have basically crashed out here. As a case in point, I am in the process of planning a trip to SD or KS to get my "fix". Will also probably hunt NC or NW IA once or twice as well, bird numbers are "stable" there as you are aware. This is supported by the DNR small game distribution map you can download from their website that is based on the annual roadside survey they do. Overlay that over your county maps of public areas and should be on your way.

Now, as far as NC or NW IA public lands, go read the online magazine articles in the "IA Game/Fish" website under "pheasants". Also, check the Iowa Sportsman's Atlas-this set of maps (not the Delorme!) can be bought at most Sporting goods stores in IA and some border states. There is a map listing each county, with the public land colored on each page with a description. Some of the land is Federal or County, and is not necessarily listed on the DNR website, but is still open to public hunting. Most the public lands in these areas of interest will require no-tox shot. Bear that in mind and stock up now, as it can be hard to get sometimes. I really like Remington Wingmaster HD in #6 or Kent Tungsten Matrix #5 loads in 12 GA. I don't have any faith in steel, the expensive stuff really works and it is worth the cost, as far as I am concerned.

I can't be more specific on spots. Those two suggestions will get you what you need. I have done DIY trips to these areas the last 4 years exclusively on public land and done reasonably well. Cattails and frozen marshes will be important areas to target once the weather really sets in; which is a possibility with your timeframe. I would offer you to join me if I was hunting during that time, but more than likely, I will be visiting my relatives back in western PA. (We usually head to my inlaws over Christmas)

Regards,

Joe

Hey, thanks for the help! I actually grew up out in the country between Springville and Central City, so I am very familiar with your area. My family is still out there, actually. Last year I hunted a farm up by Central City and we saw probably 8 roosters on it and 20 hens, but it is PRIME habitat...maybe the last piece of good pheasant hunting in eastern Iowa :) I am planning on hitting it a couple of times while visiting my family over Christmas, before I head to the inlaws in MN.

As far as my username goes...ya, I have two cockers, and I absolutely love them. Macy is 2.5 yrs old and Rocky is 7 months. Macy is my first cocker, so that's all the experience that I have with cockers. However, I have spent a substantial amount of time training and hunting with her, so I feel I'm starting to get a good grasp on the breed. I will never buy another kind of flushing dog because I am completely satisfied with these guys. I'd actually like to import another one from the UK within the next couple of years. This past weekend i went on a quail hunt to the panhandle of TX. 4 guys and 6 dogs (2 Drahthaars, a Vizsla, an English Pointer, a Brittany, and my older ECS), and while my dog was perfectly suited for that kind of hunting, she definitely held her own. We saw 6 coveys and one lone single on the 2 day hunt, and Macy found one of those coveys and also the lone single.

I got Macy from Blue Chip Kennel in Hampton, Ia (Jay Parrish), and Rocky came from Gator Nation English Cockers now located in Florida. Jay usually has a couple of litters each year, so I could get you his contact info if you wanted.

Feel free to ask me any questions that you want about these guys. I can talk Cockers all day :)

I can help Tell or guide you to the good spots:D. Let me know what days. You'll be about 30 miles north of me and i've been around the block a few times.

I can help Tell or guide you to the good spots:D. Let me know what days. You'll be about 30 miles north of me and i've been around the block a few times.

Sounds great! I am not positive on the day/s yet. We are still trying to nail down holiday plans. However, it should be within a few days after Christmas. I need to figure out what day will work best for me to sneak away :) What kind of dog/s do you have?

I am new to this too

I was down there hunting last week on public land and it is easy to find.
I went on the Iowa DNR web site and there is a link you can click on. It will show you all the countys. Click on the county and it shows the public hunting areas. I then bought a Iowa public hunting land map from a gas station in Iowa. Took what i had printed off the DNR web site for public land and mark an X in the book. Then i just followed the map to the area and found Brown signs with the same title that is in the DNR web site. The DNR site also informs you what is at the areas etc. 1/2 upland, 1/4 marsh, 1/4 timber
It might sound like alot of work but it wasn't, and it was fun. It also allow me not to look at places that said 1/2 marsh 1/4 upland, 1/4wetland. Good luck, Shoot straight and be Safe

Sounds great guys. I have a chocolate lab does good. Might not be able to use him got a cut on front leg. He should heal before then but you never know. You only got one day of dreaming left FC before reality sets in:D If I do lose I'll just shoot all the birds we see:D

I'll have both of my ankle biters. They should be ready to go after putting up with the in-laws' house for a couple of days :)

Sounds great guys. I have a chocolate lab does good. Might not be able to use him got a cut on front leg. He should heal before then but you never know. You only got one day of dreaming left FC before reality sets in:D If I do lose I'll just shoot all the birds we see:D

They benched my QB so I am hurting again.:mad:

I will have 3 veterans and two youngsters, so we will not run out of dogs.

Hey Cockerfan,

I grew up north of Kossuth Co in Minnesota. In fact I trapped muskrats, mink, fox and raccoons just outside of Granada. Had quite few meals at the restaurant in downtown Granada. I think it was a Legion? Can't remember, it's been awhile. About 12 years ago I realized how much better hunting was in Iowa compared to southern Minnesota. Unfortunately over the past five years bird numbers have been on a steady decline in that area. The winters and springs over the past few years have really taken their toll on the birds. A couple years ago we walked a large piece of public land and saw more birds than I had ever seen in the area. There were birds everywhere. A large ice storm hit shortly after our hunt. We went back a couple days later and didn't see a single bird. It seems like the birds just can't get a break in that area. See the roadside counts at the Iowa DNR web site. Lowest numbers since they started counting. With all the doom and gloom said you can still find birds. You have to be smart and understand whats going on from day to day. If its windy (most days are) look for areas with some sort of shelter. Get out shortly after sun up and do some scouting, you will see the birds moving. Don't be afraid to ask some land owners to hunt. You aren't in SD and won't be asked to give up your first born to walk through their grass. And the very most important thing I can tell you is this, when you have an opportunity, SHOOT STRAIGHT! Bottom line is you will have fun. Any rooster taken in December is a trophy. The area is beautiful. You will see a ton of wildlife and few other hunters. I would rather hunt a day and shoot a single rooster than deal with a bazillion grumpy hunters. I will be down for Christmas and will be hunting. If you see a Ford Escape from WI with a black and white springer stop and say hi. Have a great hunt and holiday.

Check the "Iowa Sportsmans Atlas" too...

I was down there hunting last week on public land and it is easy to find.
I went on the Iowa DNR web site and there is a link you can click on. It will show you all the countys. Click on the county and it shows the public hunting areas. I then bought a Iowa public hunting land map from a gas station in Iowa. Took what i had printed off the DNR web site for public land and mark an X in the book. Then i just followed the map to the area and found Brown signs with the same title that is in the DNR web site. The DNR site also informs you what is at the areas etc. 1/2 upland, 1/4 marsh, 1/4 timber
It might sound like alot of work but it wasn't, and it was fun. It also allow me not to look at places that said 1/2 marsh 1/4 upland, 1/4wetland. Good luck, Shoot straight and be Safe

Don't just rely on the DNR site, there is an Iowa Sportsman's atlas (not the Delorme) that has a map for every county in the state. On it, you will also find county land (there is not much, but it is there) that is open to hunting; the county land is not listed on the DNR website as far as I know.

My bad...re-read your post and seen you bought the map. =)

Back