My three days in Bowman

bird-bandit

View attachment 7628
View attachment 7629View attachment 7629
We hunted in Bowman for 2 and 1/2 days found the conditions to be rather bleak. There was a very low amount of cover. Our first half day of hunting we drove around for a few hours and only saw two birds next to a corn pile that the farmer was grinding off of we managed to get both of them and then picked up another one later in the same spot those were the only Birds we saw the first day. After that we managed to find some standing corn and started seeing birds in the area so we started hunting the standing corn and that produced birds for us the only birds that we could find were using the cornfields and nothing else. The next two days of hunting we managed to get our limit each day we also saw a fair amount of grouse and Partridge.

Last edited:
Boy ! Looks like you guys found a few. Nice pics.

Doesn't surprise me about the corn. Probably spend much of the day in it till they need to go to roost.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report and pictures. Headed out to Regent area last week in November with my Dad, Brother, our boys and a few friends. We have gone the last 15 years to SD and ND. The last 4 we hunted in Regent area. Some private some public. It sounds pretty bad but just wondering what to expect with crops and bird numbers in that area?

sweet will I was in Regent area Oct 18-21. It is terrible! I hunted private ground every day, ground that is managed for pheasants. It was very bleak. The drought was very bad there and most of the birds we shot were old smart birds. I hate to be the bearer of bad news especially if you are like me and can't wait to get out there and chase some birds. Keep your expectations low.

sweet will I was in Regent area Oct 18-21. It is terrible! I hunted private ground every day, ground that is managed for pheasants. It was very bleak. The drought was very bad there and most of the birds we shot were old smart birds. I hate to be the bearer of bad news especially if you are like me and can't wait to get out there and chase some birds. Keep your expectations low.

Golden Boy, Thanks for the response. Hopeing for better news but not surprised and really appreciate the info. We are trying to decide what to do. Our group all have it off and plan on going but we might still cancel. Its a long drive but my kids and brothers kids and friends love the time in ND. My Dad is also getting older and he is not sure how many more he can go on. Thanks again for the info and Good Luck to you this year.

Also my German short hair is already giving me that look like isnt it about time for our trip. he is getting older as well and besides grouse its about all the hunting he gets. My lab is young but needs some work in the field.

Golden Boy, Thanks for the response. Hopeing for better news but not surprised and really appreciate the info. We are trying to decide what to do. Our group all have it off and plan on going but we might still cancel. Its a long drive but my kids and brothers kids and friends love the time in ND. My Dad is also getting older and he is not sure how many more he can go on. Thanks again for the info and Good Luck to you this year.

My suggestion to your group if you go is pick your best fields and best times to optimize your success. In other words leave your best roosting fields to the last half hour of the day. We saw birds coming out of the wheat fields and corn in the end of the day but had to wait till the last shooting light to get a crack at em'. Get up early and try a few fields right at first shooting light, that will also help your success. Good luck and keep me posted!

My suggestion to your group if you go is pick your best fields and best times to optimize your success. In other words leave your best roosting fields to the last half hour of the day. We saw birds coming out of the wheat fields and corn in the end of the day but had to wait till the last shooting light to get a crack at em'. Get up early and try a few fields right at first shooting light, that will also help your success. Good luck and keep me posted!

We hunted a really nice grass waterway and kicked nothing but hens out of it at about 3 pm drive past 15 minnets before sun set and say birds flooding out of the corn into it .........just go's to show the right spot at the worng time of day is still wrong

Back