My new dog

Thanks everyone. I'm very happy with these dogs. Lady is up in Montana on my good friends guide string running great and Roy is really coming into his own too.

View attachment 9352

Roy had himself a very nice rookie season coming up only a Mearn's quail short of his quail slam despite our best efforts in Arizona. Now it's back to training working on backing and getting him broke this off season.

View attachment 9780

Over the years, you've had many great seasons, and a whole bunch of travel; I envy you a bit.

You're a perfect person to ask to comment on the difference between years with a flusher (JP) and a pointing breed.

I found it required that I change the way I shot at a bird: the GWPs locked in and locked down the birds. Mick, the new, used, dog trailed and popped birds. So, with the pointers I had time to get set and focus...and often thought too much and missed quite a few as I learned the difference, because with the field springer spaniel, it was more reactive and instinctive shooting which served me well.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Over the years, you've had many great seasons, and a whole bunch of travel; I envy you a bit.

You're a perfect person to ask to comment on the difference between years with a flusher (JP) and a pointing breed.

I found it required the way I shot at a bird: the GWPs locked in and locked down the birds. Mick, the new, used, dog trailed and popped birds. So, with the pointers I had time to get set and focus...and often thought too much and missed quite a few as I learned the difference, because with the field springer spaniel, it was more reactive and instinctive shooting which served me well.

Your thoughts?

Absolutely, I shot a great deal better over my springer than I do over my setters. Seems counterintuitive but that's been my experience. Maybe someday I'll learn how to control my excitement while approaching a dog on point.:cheers:

Thank you guys. I'm very happy with both of them. Roy may end up being a decent shooting dog prospect so I'm trying to get him broke and possibly enter him in some trials (how does a guy acquire a loaner horse?:D).

Lady backing Roy yesterday. They didn't run as a brace at all this year because they weren't keen on backing each other but we're going to sort that out.

View attachment 9782

We stepped out of the yard today and put our backing training into practice. Both dogs backed the other on a wild covey without being asked though Roy looks like he trusts Lady's nose more than she does his.

Roy backing Lady, her back pic wont upload for some reason.

View attachment 9787

Back