My Hunt with Dakotazeb

One of the great things about IBBs like UPH is getting to meet like-minded folks from other places and even different states. George and I had PMed back and forth a few times in the last couple of years on such things as Brittanies (we had them for 40 years), bird guns, conditioning dogs before the season, etc. So I had hoped to meet up with DZ when we came out to SoDak this year and get some local information.

Our group was headquartered in Watertown on our recent trip, and that's George's hometown now. So we agreed to meet up. Even better, we were able to schedule a hunt together too. We met for breakfast at "0 Dark Thirty" and George was right on time, a quality I surely appreciate in a hunting partner. My son and his BF were also with us. After breakfast, George led the way to the farm we would hunt for the next three days.

We hunted some corn strips and got into birds right away. A rooster got up behind us and we both shot at exactly the same time, not sure who killed that bird but it came down DEAD.:thumbsup: Then we hunted a huge CRP area and DZ put down his prize Brittany, Ellie. Ellie has done well in the NASTRA trials. The grass was damp fro rain/snow the night before and some birds were holding. The guide had a Lab down and Ellie outran, out pointed, out classed and out retrieved the retriever.:) Ellie is mostly white and runs, points and backs with a high head and tail, very attractive. She caught up with a winged runner and, after a 50 yd chase, grabbed the bird in midair with a leaping acrobatic move. The crew immediately awarded Ellie "Dog of the Day" honors.

Here are a few pics of our hunt:

JF_2012.JPG

George on the Left with Ellie, Scout and Rocky with NB.

NB_GE_2012.JPG

The crew:

That's me on the left, my son's BF Marshall, my son CW and DZ on the right.

Day_1_J_Farms.JPG

George was able to stay at the farm that night before leaving for a guiding gig. We enjoyed an evening meal together and some good natured banter that evening. George is a true sportsman and a great asset to UPH. I believe he told me he has met 18 fellow sportsmen through UPH.

I surely hope we can hunt together again someday DZ!:cheers:

NB

Back