My Golden puppy

bdub20

I just got my new golden retriever puppy last week. I'm excited and already doing a little obedience training with him and of course potty training him. The problem is that some days my wife and I both work and cant be home for 8 hours. We leave him in an area where he has a bathroom and some hall way to move around in and have a baby gate keeping him in there. He already loves the quail wing and pheasant wing. He chews them big time. My question is if it's ok for me to leave one of the wings with him through out the day. I'm sure he will chew it up pretty good. But will this keep his interest?

There's no need to give him a wing to chew on to build up drive, A wing would only serve to give him something to choke on or eat and cause intestinal track issues. In fact, I would think that letting him chew on a wing would be bad in general. The bird isn't food, and you don't want him chewing on a dead bird after he finds in in the field.

Go get a kong and look up ideas on what to put in it - that'll help keep him occupied.

Chuck

Best of luck with the Golden Pup! Pics or else!:D
As mentioned, there's no reason to leave a wing with him during the day. Keep him wanting more of the wing by training with it and keep it away.

What part of the country are you in?
Where'd the pup come form?

Again, enjoy the ride with the pooch!:thumbsup:

I wouldn't leave the wing with him either. It could make him become a bird eater. I would maybe play a little fetch with it but not let him chew on it. If he is well bred, he will like birds and bird scent.

also, he should be crated - not left to roam in a room
He will learn to love the crate if you stick with it. Its his quiet place

Thanks for all the tips. I wont leave the wing with him. He'll have plenty other things to chew on and I already know he loves the bird wings. I got him up in Sioux City, Iowa. I live in south central missouri. I'll try to get pics up soon. From what i've heard, keeping him in the kennel for the whole 8 hr day can be a bit much, I know he's going to have to use the bathroom during that time and don't want him to have to sit in it. But the kennel is in that area open so he can still go in their as well.

Ha yes he will. It's pretty high though for now for a puppy. Chuckles did you go to that brittany gathering up in the Dells on saturday? My dad went to it.

I agree with the crate idea or a kennel in the back yard. And letting him chew on a bird wing will surely produce a bad habit. You can always use the crate in the back of your vehicle or when you're gone for extended periods of time.

My Golden, now 1.5 years loved an old towel to rip apart and chew. He also had a toy with dog food inside that worked well.

Good luck with your puppy!

Back