My dog doesn't seem to be catching on????

Rogue Hunter

My Setter is 4 1/2yrs old...2 1/2 seasons chasing pheasants, but she's just doesn't get it. She ranges well, and I can tell when she on scent, but she doesn't seem to "follow" the scent, instead, she continues to range back and forth, crossing over the scent, moving in the general direction of the bird that is RUNNING straight away. End result is, she's usually 20 to 40yds from me, running back and forth in the cattails, while the birds are on the other side of the cattails, flushing 70-80 yds. away.

Any suggestions?

Any idea how the parents hunted?
Some dogs are natural trackers, some need some training. Use a bird with its flight feathers pulled for the track training.

My Setter is 4 1/2yrs old...2 1/2 seasons chasing pheasants, but she's just doesn't get it. She ranges well, and I can tell when she on scent, but she doesn't seem to "follow" the scent, instead, she continues to range back and forth, crossing over the scent, moving in the general direction of the bird that is RUNNING straight away. End result is, she's usually 20 to 40yds from me, running back and forth in the cattails, while the birds are on the other side of the cattails, flushing 70-80 yds. away.

Any suggestions?
Keep plowing ahead man, if there was no recognition of bird scent at 41/2 then that would make me pause. If you have the patience for it try working a side wind or even straight down wind to push the dog forward and not get hung up in the scent cone all day 50 yards behind. This obviously will not be the most effective way to get birds in the bag but may get the dog right up on the flush and involved in the action. I use this tactic on running blue quail, in my mind we would never catch up anyway so why not throw them a curve. Good luck keep marching!

At 4.5 years old, it might be too late now to be honest. I'm no professional dog trainer, but that seems way behind the curve of learning for a dog. Maybe someone that has trained dogs will chime in.

Do you run a shock collar? Is there a chance your dog has had a jolt while tracking. I once got a great deal on the most beautiful pointer I had ever seen, with great foot range. After a few outings it seemed he couldn't smell. Also wasn't even flushing any birds. Always in the wrong place at the wrong time. While separated from my buddy He walked into a covey of quail. I saw two birds land in an isolated clump 30 yards or so ahead. The dog didn't see them lite. I never said a word, just circled around and brought him in downwind and watched him ever so lightly, subtly wind the birds, turn his head and trot away. Some idiot had shocked him one to many times while winding birds and he decided birds were to be avoided. I was at lose, had no idea what to do. Gave him up for a pet and learned a lesson.

If this was a flusher I would teach trailing by plucking some feathers than dragging a wet duck (pheasants don't hold up to well) through some short grass. (Initially I would do it next to a fence or something to limit dogs lateral movement somewhat). Then put the dog in a down at the pile of feathers let him get a snoot full and command hunt em up or whatever you want. As your dog becomes more proficient move away from the fence and start lengthening out the trail. Up to this point all this should be run into the wind Now add a 90 degree corner out 50ish yards, keep the 90 degree leg pretty short say 10 yards or so initially. If the dog blows through the 90 degree corner bring him back to try again. Now start adding cover.
Not sure if this is what a pointer trainer would/should do??

The check cord is your friend. Find a place train using checkcord downwind. Plant the birds so you can “coach” the dog to use wind. The dog needs to have success so it knows whats expected. Praise like crazy. IMO dogs don’t really get it until they have at least 50 bird contacts. Spend some money at club and control the outcome. Once you get the dog birdy make a whoa table to steady. Keep the sessions short and fun. Spend more time on training now and the hunting part will come

Back